Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Old Apr 12th 2013, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Originally Posted by Polgardi
My husband has a peanut allergy, and we have a walnut tree, so you should be fine...I haven't buried him yet.
That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time... We are the only people in the village without a Walnut tree, well it feels like it anyway and even we end up with a surplus
Old Apr 12th 2013, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

So my husband reckons we can't do anything under the walnut tree because he has been told this is bad???? I want a woodland playground and somewhere to sit in the shade. I can't believe that walnuts are that bad for your health otherwise it would have been in the Daily Mail ( only Brits might understand this tongue in cheek comment!!!!) I can see the headlines now "scientists have discovered that sitting under a walnut tree can cause ............"
Pray tell what do you do under your walnut tree...........
Old Apr 12th 2013, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cathyg
So my husband reckons we can't do anything under the walnut tree because he has been told this is bad???? I want a woodland playground and somewhere to sit in the shade. I can't believe that walnuts are that bad for your health otherwise it would have been in the Daily Mail ( only Brits might understand this tongue in cheek comment!!!!) I can see the headlines now "scientists have discovered that sitting under a walnut tree can cause ............"
Pray tell what do you do under your walnut tree...........
In all seriousness, I think that walnuts can be detrimental to your health, if for example you throw then at each others foreheads, and maybe mulching with the leaves isn't that clever, but I think you can sit in the shade without too much harm coming to you. I may be wrong but I have certainly been dicing with death in the walnut tree area
Old Apr 12th 2013, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

I just found this link...apparently you can compost the leaves but there is toxicity http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html
Old Apr 12th 2013, 6:34 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Ermmm, we tend not to have black walnut trees in Hungary - as far as I know - and it's only those which are toxic.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Ermmm, we tend not to have black walnut trees in Hungary - as far as I know - and it's only those which are toxic.
Just testing
Old Apr 12th 2013, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting I think it has intoxicated our apple tree, it does not look well. It is about 25 feet away. I think we should start a list of what we can make with the inevitable huge harvest that is coming our way...... We also have almonds which I think are a lot less trouble!
Anyway I do believe that nuts are very good for you......
My stressful life in the uk seems very far away at the moment
Old Apr 12th 2013, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

How do you tell?
Old Apr 12th 2013, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interesting I think it has intoxicated our apple tree, it does not look well. It is about 25 feet away. I think we should start a list of what we can make with the inevitable huge harvest that is coming our way...... We also have almonds which I think are a lot less trouble!
Anyway I do believe that nuts are very good for you......
My stressful life in the uk seems very far away at the moment
Yes, here all you have to worry about is what to make with all the stuff that grows in the garden. Glad you are settling in okay
Old Apr 12th 2013, 7:44 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

How do you tell?
The leaves on the Black walnut are long and narrow and the crevices on the shells are not as deep. I have only ever known "English" walnuts to be grown in Hungary. If the walnut is what you typically think of as a walnut then it's not a black walnut.
It's one of those normally useful bits of information I tend to pick up - think I learnt about the different types when I was researching pickling walnuts a few years ago.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 7:53 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Just testing
Well you had me creating a mental map of the garden and envisaging where the walnut tree roots run for a minute! Then, I had to question whether I should question it for fear of you replying in a placatory tone or worst still not replying because I might have my out
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well you had me creating a mental map of the garden and envisaging where the walnut tree roots run for a minute! Then, I had to question whether I should question it for fear of you replying in a placatory tone or worst still not replying because I might have my out
Well I have to admit you had me worried...but then I put my big girl panties on
Old Apr 12th 2013, 9:38 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Well I have to admit you had me worried...but then I put my big girl panties on
Oh how I wish there was a clap hands smiley but instead I'll give you a gold

Cathyg, I have seen these in some gardens and they look nice, especially when weathered somewhat.
Old May 11th 2013, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

In all seriousness, I think that walnuts can be detrimental to your health, if for example you throw then at each others foreheads, and maybe mulching with the leaves isn't that clever, but I think you can sit in the shade without too much harm coming to you. I may be wrong but I have certainly been dicing with death in the walnut tree area
That will teach me for making fun of walnut trees...I know have some saplings in my veggie patch which I first thought were tomatoes...ahem
Old May 11th 2013, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

That will teach me for making fun of walnut trees...I know have some saplings in my veggie patch which I first thought were tomatoes...ahem
'Now' not know....too many Hungarian lessons making me forget words

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.