Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
I could kick myself that I didn't plant asparagus years ago - every year I keep thinking "if only". Might get a few crowns for this year though.

I've given up on kohlrabi, most squash and Jerusalem artichokes as nobody ever eats them.
Our chucks love the Kohlrabi that we don't eat, we slice it really thin and add oil and lemon juice and it is great in a salad. We have never bothered with squash as we would not eat it.

Asparagus is amazing we had out first "crop" last year, was lovely but very sparse hoping for much more this year but it is the 4th year of growing it from seed.

I love Jerusalem artichoke but everything I have read says it is easy to grow but difficult to get rid of, please tell me differently (we rotate our crops to avoid pests and beasts)
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Tapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really nice

I did this last year, apart from certain chilli and tomato varieties that I especially wanted to grow. Excellent value for money and so I bought tons of them. Planted them up and then we had the late frosts in May which killed of nearly everything in the ground. Fortunately, my self sown plugs were then ready to plant up!

Fancy helping me out on my roses problem?

When we moved here, there were already many climbing roses, some of them flower well though there are three which have never flowered. I have pruned them at different times each year to ensure that wasn't the problem and I have left them unpruned and still there are no flowers on them. Occasionally, we get some galls on them but not at levels where they would affect the growth of the plant. Any ideas why they aren't flowering?
Dear Rural
will try, if you have lots of foliage and no flowers sounds like you have enough nitrogen but not enough potassium and magnesium, so a good feed in the spring around the root area, and a top up during the growing season, but not in late summer as you'll get weaker growth then
With climbers it's important to create a horizontal type structural growth rather than vertical, this will encourage flowering shoots along the branch/stem, so try tying them into a wire or fence depending on what they are growing against. Also cut out any really old woody branches to allow newer growth to come through, if that makes sense.
unfortunately there is no quick fix and you won't know if these suggestions will work until the summer comes.
good luck hope you'll have blooms all over
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have for years always had brigs & Straiten Eng or Honda this one I think is a Chines Throw Back or Throw up. not only had myself but my friend on next plot, as use beaten how to start it no mater what we both did, no go I am still on Sick Leave in UK but should be on way back by Mid March and on my place by the end of March or earlier
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:36 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by llareggub

I love Jerusalem artichoke but everything I have read says it is easy to grow but difficult to get rid of, please tell me differently (we rotate our crops to avoid pests and beasts)
Don't get me started on it! Year one we grew it, kids hated it and so we didnt keep any for replanting. Year five and despite being pulled up every year, before it is taller than a foot, it is still coming up. Thankfully we planted it in a raised bed and so it has been contained to a certain extent - in a field, you would struggle to clear it as even the tiniest bit of tuber left will regrow. That said, it is supposed to be excellent for making biofuel!
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:44 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tapsony-Hungary
Dear Rural
will try, if you have lots of foliage and no flowers sounds like you have enough nitrogen but not enough potassium and magnesium, so a good feed in the spring around the root area, and a top up during the growing season, but not in late summer as you'll get weaker growth then
With climbers it's important to create a horizontal type structural growth rather than vertical, this will encourage flowering shoots along the branch/stem, so try tying them into a wire or fence depending on what they are growing against. Also cut out any really old woody branches to allow newer growth to come through, if that makes sense.
unfortunately there is no quick fix and you won't know if these suggestions will work until the summer comes.
good luck hope you'll have blooms all over
Dearest Tapsony, I am now wondering if they are even climbers as they have never had anything to grow up or across. We inherited them with the house and I assume, the elderly owner had greener fingers than I and thus, this leads me to question why she would have so many climbers but with no support. My assumption that they are climbers is based on there being several branches, each year, which grow to 8 or 9 feet - that would be a climber wouldn't it?
Last Autumn, I built a wigwam around one and planned doing the same with the others but if you are saying horizontal growth is better, I will have to rethink.
Finally, will a basic rose feed do or is there a DIY feed that I can make up?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Tapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really nice

Originally Posted by llareggub
Good luck, I have no tips as we have no idea what we are doing either

We suffer terribly from the Colorado Potato Beetle which we resolve by going out side every morning in a pair of marigolds and squashing the critters and removing their eggs. Not the nicest of jobs but it sees us harvest around 150KG of spuds every autumn.
Hi we have Colorado beetle as well but also spray with something called Actara rovarolo permetezoszer, powder form which makes 20 litres to one packet, can be purchased from hardware shops. seems to work as well as squashing them, just have to keep on top of them. Slugs are the other big problem, they love marigolds and dahlias as well. so many a twilight massacre takes place
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK Then lets look at this Palace I think spelled it wright Garden Allotment
Vegetable Marrow Rum
Once ripe cut top open score out the seed core fill back with brown sugar replace the top piece sea with Gaffer Tape
Now using a Knitting Pin plenty of Holes in the Bottom
Now the fun part getting the Tights of the Wife to suspend it to drain in-to a fun-ell then in-to Glass Container keep in room tep. till the process finishes it clears it self but be warned do not spill in on to furniture IF You wont to try this and have no seed I prepared to offer 5 seeds for the first 5 to and post on to them when I am back end March
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Don't get me started on it! Year one we grew it, kids hated it and so we didnt keep any for replanting. Year five and despite being pulled up every year, before it is taller than a foot, it is still coming up. Thankfully we planted it in a raised bed and so it has been contained to a certain extent - in a field, you would struggle to clear it as even the tiniest bit of tuber left will regrow. That said, it is supposed to be excellent for making biofuel!
That is our worry, we have a rotation plan and do not want to grow stuff that we can not "move on" as I say we love Jerusalem Artichoke and would happily eat all that we grow but certainly not gonna play with trying to get rid of it afterwards

If you have not tried roasting them like you do spuds along side a sunday roast, give it a go, they get really sweet and utterly scrumptious!
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tapsony-Hungary
Hi we have Colorado beetle as well but also spray with something called Actara rovarolo permetezoszer, powder form which makes 20 litres to one packet, can be purchased from hardware shops. seems to work as well as squashing them, just have to keep on top of them. Slugs are the other big problem, they love marigolds and dahlias as well. so many a twilight massacre takes place
We don't spray, not out of an altruistic mindset but simply because we had no idea what we would be spraying with when we moved over, we have since learned that we do not need to i order to have a healthy crop.

Slugs are not really a problem for us but do occasionally struggle with Cabbage Whites but we found that mixing brassica planting with marigolds and placing old egg shell amongst them resolves the problem really well.

I'm too young to be an old hippy so lets just call me a young one
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by digger47
I Know this is wrong Place to put this But while st we are on Gardening.
I Have a Problem Rotervter 3 hp only run for 4 hrs. Kneads someone who can fix this engine it will no start again 30, 000fh collect as I have no Transport
Have you tried draining the fuel and putting fresh stuff in? Petrol quickly deteriorates these days. I could fix it for you but I'm too far away.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

This unit went down in 2010 we that is my friend got it out June last year to sort out the non start problem checking spark plug OK Petrol what was left in drained out top up a bought half tank then we removed wot we could to allow fuel right down to the Carbertor there was no dust or water to be found
allowing fuel to run through each part as we reassembled and making sure no air could get in-to the fuel line
Trying to restart was impossible so given up but if you think you can help then I would accept your offer in return what ever transport you arrive in going back would loaded with soft wood cut for sticking for stove I have to much hear
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:59 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

OK I now I am a pain some Times but if any wont's seeds from UK I over hear in UK and If you need any let me know I willing Bring over, I still space for these Wizzair allows 34 kg baggage If you want bulk seed say Broad, Runner Dwarf French Beans
I have cut them to within an inch of their lives, I have cut them back leaving a couple of feet and I have left them unpruned - nothing, zilch, nincs
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 6:00 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

OK Try getting hold of The Rose Expert available through Amazon Books cost a bought £10.00 there is a sears of them with Titles= Fruit, Vegetables, Greenhouse Expert and many more. Pruning Roses it is best in my opinion to follow something given in a book this way easy to follow!
Cheers for that, I do have a couple of rose books and pruned as shown but still nothing so I don't think pruning is the problem - strange as the ones growing along the fence flowers every year.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi digger, that's an interesting offer! I will send you a PM and see if we can sort something out.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:12 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Once ripe cut top open score out the seed core fill back with brown sugar replace the top piece sea with Gaffer Tape
Now using a Knitting Pin plenty of Holes in the Bottom
Now the fun part getting the Tights of the Wife to suspend it to drain in-to a fun-ell then in-to Glass Container keep in room tep. till the process finishes it clears it self but be warned do not spill in on to furniture IF You wont to try this and have no seed I prepared to offer 5 seeds for the first 5 to and post on to them when I am back end March
Will any type of marrow do, how strong is it and is it palatable

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.