Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Old May 24th 2014, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Thankfully, despite learning them by rote as a child, I can't remember half of them so can blissfully claim ignorance if I have broken any.....

HOLD ON - wasn't one of them not to kill... goes off to google...
DIGGER is there something you want to tell us
Yep. now then take a look at username first ok granddad gave this to me for all the work both of us did jurying the server and harsh winter 62 and 63 at that time granddad was the Grave Digger in the area but their was to much work for granddad as every one was passing away with flue or other nasty things, so granddad arranged with the farmer I was working for that I see to live stock in the morning and at night, he cleared every thing with undertaker Mr Hatchet that a payment of 5 shillings I would all so receive for every grave dug, I soon learned we wear on good money and to do graves in other village close to us, first Fag Woodbine from granddad I became dizzy and topped down in to the Grave. th. second part to this look up on the net Able Marwood from Horncastle, the last comment for years I was attending many Funeral's I was all was look around before the gest arrived one day a Head stone was leaning danger of falling in to grave so I tied it back with some wire after the graveside service I hear one old lady say to other it can not be so bad hear that one as had a phone put in PS find the link to all look up Able Marwood digger
Old May 26th 2014, 7:42 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

What an interesting story Digger, it's amazing how something as simple as a user name can conceal wonderful memories and stories. Sadly, I couldn't find anything on an Able Marwood though lots on the executioner William Marwood - were they related?
Old May 26th 2014, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

What an interesting story Digger, it's amazing how something as simple as a user name can conceal wonderful memories and stories. Sadly, I couldn't find anything on an Able Marwood though lots on the executioner William Marwood - were they related?
We new him as Able Marwood that was written on his death certificate witch we still have but, in brackets William Marwood he was my great granddad, digger
Old May 27th 2014, 11:59 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by digger47
We new him as Able Marwood that was written on his death certificate witch we still have but, in brackets William Marwood he was my great granddad, digger
Now I get it Digger, what an amazing family history - won't want to mess with you or I might be in for a long drop Sorry I missed you yesterday but had a wok in one hand and a fish slice in the other! Will PM you when I get back from the cinema as that's no problem whatsoever.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Notalab is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone else noticed that the Colorado Beetle is absent this year?
Curly kale = good crop, french beans = good crop, Fruit = good crop, Potatoes = recovering after being flattened by the storm, Runner beans = not so goood this year, Onions = good crop and toms and other salad stuff developing well. Strange year!
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly a good year for weeds. I was thinking of getting a scythe but now the weeds are so high I might be better with a machete!
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:14 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by fidobsa
It's certainly a good year for weeds. I was thinking of getting a scythe but now the weeds are so high I might be better with a machete!
Would a brushcutter do it?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

What about a lazy weeder. This was mentioned on the Archers yesterday and I had to look it up to see what it was
Attached Thumbnails Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?-image.jpg  
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:21 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

I could do with one of them Cathy though goodness knows what the neighbours would say!
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

Our beans are struggling a little but our carrot crop like pretty much every one else in the village is pretty much non existent... Strangely for us brassicas are doing exceptionally well, also agree with Colorado Potato Beetle, had a few but nowt worth mentioning!
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:55 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by llareggub
Our beans are struggling a little but our carrot crop like pretty much every one else in the village is pretty much non existent...
Have you ever had a good carrot crop? I gave up planting them and wondered if it was my soil but looking at the offerings from the grannies in the local market, theirs didn't seem to be any better.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Have you ever had a good carrot crop? I gave up planting them and wondered if it was my soil but looking at the offerings from the grannies in the local market, theirs didn't seem to be any better.
We usually do great with them without an issue in fact we usually have to try and be conservative with them... In our first year of planting we stopped counting at 100kg and we were giving them away to anyone would take them! If they ever do take off don't do carrot wine it is bleurgh to the power of think of a big number
Old Jun 11th 2014, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Just a few of our typical harvest

Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?-carrots.jpg

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 12th 2014 at 9:47 am.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 10:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

OMG

Mega giant carrots What did you feed them with.

Kiddin' ya - in case you think I'm not.

Here in New Zealand , carrots grow really well. I blanch and freeze the surplus.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 10:15 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Was going to comment on what a big one you have there then remembered hubby reads the forum now and thought better of it......

I would be embarrassed to post photos of mine, no longer than 4 inches, usually deformed and pencil thin - I don't think they like the soil or it's the poxy ants that always seem to nest close to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.