Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:11 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Some thoughts on this, could it be that whilst away, your neighbour noticed your patch was drying out and gave it a real good soaking for a couple of days but by then it was too late to revive what had already been lost?
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

No, I watered every day before I went and I was only away 3 days. You can't see the veg patch from next door anyway as they have a log pile their side of the fence. There was also most of a dead cat on the area of grass between my front fence and the road. This is not my land but I'm responsible for mowing it. The only such incidents I've had before are odd Christmas trees cut down and left to die. I would rather people steal the trees than just do wanton vandalism.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
hmmm, strange, can you post some pics - my potatoes died back a while ago though I got them in early and they were prone to lack of watering, being in the field.

Last edited by fidobsa; Aug 23rd 2013 at 7:54 am.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 1:54 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely strange! Not so much the cracked earth as that can happen in dry weather but the fact that the grass around the potatoes is dead yet a short distance away it is healthy. Why on earth would somebody do that Fib?
Old Aug 24th 2013, 2:04 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Do you have cats or stray dogs coming into the garden?
Old Sep 10th 2013, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that,s it just abought for a nother year, just finished of de seeding the Helianthus Moon Walker a brilliant Sun flower sown 300 seeds harvested 3.2 kilo this now sa to graded out so I have the Land spare next year a Sea of Helianthus when I checked the price 5 gram 19,80 Brit pound so yes I have spare seed Flower Power Digger
Old Sep 10th 2013, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

There are a few fields of sunflowers near me but I notice they allow them to rot and the seeds are free to drop on the ground. I suppose they are grown for the oil so I don't understand why they don't harvest them earlier.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 5:38 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by digger47
Well that,s it just abought for a nother year, just finished of de seeding the Helianthus Moon Walker a brilliant Sun flower sown 300 seeds harvested 3.2 kilo this now sa to graded out so I have the Land spare next year a Sea of Helianthus when I checked the price 5 gram 19,80 Brit pound so yes I have spare seed Flower Power Digger
I was just looking at the garden and thinking the same myself Digger - that's it for another year, time to start getting ready for winter. Would love some seeds, do you want to PM me exactly where you are and if out that way, could drop by and say hello?
Old Sep 10th 2013, 5:45 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by fidobsa
There are a few fields of sunflowers near me but I notice they allow them to rot and the seeds are free to drop on the ground. I suppose they are grown for the oil so I don't understand why they don't harvest them earlier.
Sometimes they dry out before being ready to harvest, a large percentage of the maize and sunflower crops were lost last year and this summer was just as warm and dry
Old Sep 10th 2013, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
I was just looking at the garden and thinking the same myself Digger - that's it for another year, time to start getting ready for winter. Would love some seeds, do you want to PM me exactly where you are and if out that way, could drop by and say hello?
Yes nem problem wear I am Till well not sure it is abought 20 minutes of at Junction 43 I think the road of is to Velace Garden ban or send PM to post with addres not sure on amount of seed leets say a big spoon holds till I get back up to the Plot any way keep in tuch digger
Old Sep 10th 2013, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

I just have a solitary chilly pepper plant :-) Tomorrow I plant to be out in the garden sorting stuff out and turning the ground over for a another year
Old Sep 26th 2013, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Does anyone have any tips about growing chrysanthemums? Since getting the dog I've been walking around the village and lots of people grow chrysanths in a narrow border between their front fence and the pavement. I have been impressed by the long flowering period so I invested 500 Ft in a plant from OBI yesterday. Should I just put it in the garden now or will it need protection from frost? Do you think the neighbours buy the rows of a dozen or so plants or do they grow their own from seeds or cuttings? When my father was alive I would have asked him this sort of stuff.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 10:53 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Should I just put it in the garden now or will it need protection from frost? Do you think the neighbours buy the rows of a dozen or so plants or do they grow their own from seeds or cuttings?
They grow very easily, just pop them in the ground, water them in and they will come up year after year. Within 12 months the plant will have at least quadrupled in size and you can divide it into numerous new plants.
If you need some autumn/winter flowering ones, don't buy any as I have a variety in different colours and sizes - pop in next time you're over this way or I'll give some to Mr RH when he's going to yours.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks RH.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

redspider is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone! Im new to this forum. love to garden. Need to know if its ok to
trim my hydrangea, its blocking sun from my peony?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.