Coronavirus

Old Jun 17th 2020, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

"But surely if you wish to isolate then you can do so, and we can support you in doing this, but there is no scientific nor moral reason to place those not at risk, under house arrest",
(My bold).

YOU might not be at risk but YOU might put others at risk.
But, what the hell, as long as Jacks alright.

Old Jun 17th 2020, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

NobodyHasThisNameYet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Expatrick
(My bold).

YOU might not be at risk but YOU might put others at risk.
But, what the hell, as long as Jacks alright.
You misunderstand.

If a person wishes to isolate themselves, then they may do so.
If a person chooses to do this, then they will not come into contact with other people.
Therefore, how could I, or anyone else, put them at risk if we will not come into contact with them? You don't think that I am going to break into their house and cough on them, do you?

If a million people (or whatever) wanted to stay in their homes, then everyone else who did not wish to do so, could go about their business as (almost) normal, all the while not placing at risk those who wished to be in isolation.
For the people not wishing to isolate, there is a minuscule risk that they will catch the virus and die. This is acceptable, as there is no such thing as a non-risk society.

Where I live, all my neighbours are in their 70s and 80s. Most of them isolated themselves to some degree; some completely and others would come out to talk but stand a few metres away from you. A couple had their families round every other day because they didn't believe the doom and gloom garbage put out by the press.
My job was to deliver milk to them all. Their families delivered their food, apart from one who got it delivered by the council.
The result of this is that none of them have had so much as a cough, even though a couple of them know that they have had the virus. None have been ill. None have died. None of them know anyone who has been ill with the virus. None of them know anyone who knows anyone who has been ill or died from the virus.

It isn't a case of "isolate everyone" or "isolate no one". It is a choice for each person to make about themselves.
No one can choose to force other people into lockdown, as that is tyranny.

Old Jun 17th 2020, 2:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

No one can choose to force other people into lockdown, as that is tyranny.
Fair enough, so if you did leave the UK you would go to Sweden, certainly not the "tyranny" that is locked down Hungary.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 2:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NobodyHasThisNameYet
No, I'm in the UK.
Buses are on the go now, but for a couple of months they were not.
They've been running the whole time near me, albeit at a reduced service. Where in the UK are you?
Old Jun 17th 2020, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Fair enough, so if you did leave the UK you would go to Sweden, certainly not the "tyranny" that is locked down Hungary.
No, because the travel restrictions restrict travel anyway.

A country does not become attractive just because it occurred to them on one occasion not to place people under house arrest.

Sweden is utterly screwed for reasons which Hungary never will be.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They've been running the whole time near me, albeit at a reduced service. Where in the UK are you?
Midlands.
I didn't see any buses for ages, then when they started up again they were few in number (still are) and not busy.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NobodyHasThisNameYet
Midlands.
I didn't see any buses for ages, then when they started up again they were few in number (still are) and not busy.
London Transport has been running limited services for a while but seem to be back running almost normal. Everyone travelling on tube or bus must wear face covering. Luckily walking to town takes less than 10 minutes.
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

This is the impact of coronavirus!
Moving house has been so different this time due to covid-19. Last time I moved here in the UK someone came to my property to survey the contents for size of truck needed. Due to covid-19 removal companies have had to find another way. The one I chose sent me a spreadsheet on which I had to tick against the item we were taking and also how many boxes and what size, i.e. L, M or S. i must be on the fourth update because it is so easy to forget something and you can't box everything up until nearer the move date. Another company do a skype survey whereby the surveyor can see the household contents and same time speak to the person who is holding the smartphone/tablet/laptop, etc. Not an option for me because I'm deaf! I have also been asked to do a detailed list of all the contents, gee! Still working on that! Luckily, after hundreds of emails between myself and the removals manager we are hiring a bigger truck than needed because I emphasised we cannot leave anything behind. WIth the covid-19 situation it is not so straightforward to get family or friends to help out because of social distancing. I think I have more grey hairs than before this whole process started! Damn, I should have taken a 'Before' photo so I can confirm I'm more grey than when it all started. Anyway, we are very excited to be finally getting to the move date we are feeling calm at the moment after the weekend panicking about getting into Hungary!
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
This is the impact of coronavirus!
Moving house has been so different this time due to covid-19. Last time I moved here in the UK someone came to my property to survey the contents for size of truck needed. Due to covid-19 removal companies have had to find another way. The one I chose sent me a spreadsheet on which I had to tick against the item we were taking and also how many boxes and what size, i.e. L, M or S. i must be on the fourth update because it is so easy to forget something and you can't box everything up until nearer the move date. Another company do a skype survey whereby the surveyor can see the household contents and same time speak to the person who is holding the smartphone/tablet/laptop, etc. Not an option for me because I'm deaf! I have also been asked to do a detailed list of all the contents, gee! Still working on that! Luckily, after hundreds of emails between myself and the removals manager we are hiring a bigger truck than needed because I emphasised we cannot leave anything behind. WIth the covid-19 situation it is not so straightforward to get family or friends to help out because of social distancing. I think I have more grey hairs than before this whole process started! Damn, I should have taken a 'Before' photo so I can confirm I'm more grey than when it all started. Anyway, we are very excited to be finally getting to the move date we are feeling calm at the moment after the weekend panicking about getting into Hungary!
Actually I'm not sure whether having to give a detailed inventory of your belongings is entirely due to Covid-19, or whether it's a requirement from the Hungarian customs. When I moved my furniture etc from South Africa some 13 years ago I was given a list of all the items that I was or was not, allowed to bring into Hungary I also had to itemise everything I was bringing with me. I do remember that you couldn't bring more that 1kg of paprika into the country!
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 5:23 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
Actually I'm not sure whether having to give a detailed inventory of your belongings is entirely due to Covid-19, or whether it's a requirement from the Hungarian customs. When I moved my furniture etc from South Africa some 13 years ago I was given a list of all the items that I was or was not, allowed to bring into Hungary I also had to itemise everything I was bringing with me. I do remember that you couldn't bring more that 1kg of paprika into the country!
I think having to do a detailed inventory is pretty much across the board now. I had to do the same when we moved from Australia to the UK, and again when we moved back to Oz. It's a real PITA!
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
Sachina - the detailed list is for the removals guy so he can calculate the weight of the household contents for the removals truck. As mentioned above when I last moved house a surveyor came to my property to survey all the contents for the move and gauge what size truck they needed to supply. Due to the covid-19 situation lockdown the surveyor couldn't enter our house to carry out this job.
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 5:27 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

We hated moving so much we sold, gave away and binned almost all the junk we had accumulated over the past 35 plus years before we moved. If it didn't fit in 3 large military canvas bags, a laptop bag and a rucksack it did not make the move. The only other thing we kept was the 2 dogs. We been here now 3 years and have replaced the important stuff we need for daily living and downsized a lot. Most of the stuff we bought here in Hungary is from neighbors here, Jofogas and a few items from eBay that we couldn't source locally.

We were thinking about a 20 ft shipping container originally but the cost and paperwork nightmare put us off on trying to retain most of our Trash and Treasures.

I feel for anyone moving, I would rather take a beat down in an alley than moving. Moving internationally is just too much of a nightmare unless your very well organized (We were not).

Keep us updated Nick
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
We hated moving so much we sold, gave away and binned almost all the junk we had accumulated over the past 35 plus years before we moved. If it didn't fit in 3 large military canvas bags, a laptop bag and a rucksack it did not make the move. The only other thing we kept was the 2 dogs. We been here now 3 years and have replaced the important stuff we need for daily living and downsized a lot. Most of the stuff we bought here in Hungary is from neighbors here, Jofogas and a few items from eBay that we couldn't source locally.

We were thinking about a 20 ft shipping container originally but the cost and paperwork nightmare put us off on trying to retain most of our Trash and Treasures.

I feel for anyone moving, I would rather take a beat down in an alley than moving. Moving internationally is just too much of a nightmare unless your very well organized (We were not).

Keep us updated Nick
I told my wife last weekend that the cost of taking our stuff over to Hungary is almost the same as if we got rid of everything for nothing and bought new in Hungary! As to ourselves being well organised we both seem good at one thing or the other, i.e. my wife has mostly concentrated on boxing up stuff in the kitchen and lounge, etc. As for myself taking stuff down to the rubbish tip, organising removals, including coming up with a labelling system as we are storing our stuff at two different locations and want the removal guys to know what needs to be delivered to where, pet transport, flights, etc. and other admin. Still some more admin to do but we are getting there. I have surprised myself as I retired back in August 2019 because I had had enough of my job but thinking about now and then I realise I like to be the lead rather than being told what to do!!! I like organising things, events, etc. That's probably the only thing I'm good at, not forgetting spreadsheets!

I know the feeling about moving house. From 1985 to 1993 I moved ten times. It started off in 1985 with moving out of my parents house to a bedsit, then a year later moving to London and living in a trainees hostel, Acton, for two months before becoming a lodger in a house in Northolt, Middlesex. Six months later I then moved to East Croydon, then West Croydon, then Purley Oaks, then Central Croydon, then Putney, then Stamford Brook, then (1993) Surbiton, Surrey, where I bought a property staying for twelve years, then to Orpington, Kent, where I've been for the past fourteen years! More or less until I bought my property in Surbiton I lived out of a suitcase! The move to Hungary won't be the last time as I suspect there may be one more move in Hungary from where we will be staying. It will be a question of what will give us the easiest life and not cost us a fortune!

Last edited by FenTiger; Jun 22nd 2020 at 6:19 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 6:49 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I told my wife last weekend that the cost of taking our stuff over to Hungary is almost the same as if we got rid of everything for nothing and bought new in Hungary! As to ourselves being well organised we both seem good at one thing or the other, i.e. my wife has mostly concentrated on boxing up stuff in the kitchen and lounge, etc. As for myself taking stuff down to the rubbish tip, organising removals, including coming up with a labelling system as we are storing our stuff at two different locations and want the removal guys to know what needs to be delivered to where, pet transport, flights, etc. and other admin. Still some more admin to do but we are getting there. I have surprised myself as I retired back in August 2019 because I had had enough of my job but thinking about now and then I realise I like to be the lead rather than being told what to do!!! I like organising things, events, etc. That's probably the only thing I'm good at, not forgetting spreadsheets!

I know the feeling about moving house. From 1985 to 1993 I moved ten times. It started off in 1985 with moving out of my parents house to a bedsit, then a year later moving to London and living in a trainees hostel, Acton, for two months before becoming a lodger in a house in Northolt, Middlesex. Six months later I then moved to East Croydon, then West Croydon, then Purley Oaks, then Central Croydon, then Putney, then Stamford Brook, then (1993) Surbiton, Surrey, where I bought a property staying for twelve years, then to Orpington, Kent, where I've been for the past fourteen years! More or less until I bought my property in Surbiton I lived out of a suitcase! The move to Hungary won't be the last time as I suspect there may be one more move in Hungary from where we will be staying. It will be a question of what will give us the easiest life and not cost us a fortune!
I think we have moved about 7 times total. My parents moved several times when I was a kid so moving has really become a hated thing in my life.

I think with the exception of tools and lawn care equipment we may have spent about £3800 on used furniture, a new cooker and a couple of small appliances for the kitchen, I spent probably £4000 on lawn and garden care equipment and mechanic tools. Most of that stuff was new. I probably could have done with fewer mechanic tools but our garden is a big hobby and we just bought all that stuff new.
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I think the detailed list is required for the removals people (their liability insurance etc.) rather than the customs. At the moment the UK is still treated as part of the EU so free movement of goods etc. Moving in from outside the EU would require customs clearance so a detailed list needed.
When we moved Hungary was not yet an EU member and the customs was a real pain even though coming in as settlers we were entitled to bring in all our personal possessions tax free. (It was 26 years ago and the Hungarian state hadn't quite got its post regime change act together yet)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.