British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/coronavirus-930712/)

enter Jan 29th 2020 3:08 pm

Coronavirus

Hello, I for one at the moment till the scare is over completely, will not be buying Chinese takeaways eg from Tesco franchise. I am aware that Chinese staff do go back to China to visit family. Also clothing shops that have Chinese staff. This is purely on medical grounds, the choice is yours.

Benny Kovacs Jan 29th 2020 3:45 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Yeah, that's a good idea, I never really thought about it until now.
I will also boycott take away food but I won't worry about buying clothes and other goods made by 12 year old children and prisoners working as forced labourers because they are not allowed outside so won't catch anything.

:thumbsup:

Jack_Russells4ever Jan 29th 2020 4:02 pm

These type illnesses know NO boundaries. I would not worry about just TESCO Chinese takeaways or products. I would be more concerned about ANYONE that has recently done air travel or public transportation. This illness knows no racial boundaries. ANYONE can become sick if exposed to them. Take common sense steps to avoid large crowds and if you get sick don't hesitate to seek medical treatment.

sid nv Jan 29th 2020 4:02 pm

I now face a moral dilemma. I regularly deliver food from several Chinese restaurants. Should I continue to deliver Godzilla Bat Roll in the knowledge that it may have been sneezed upon?

Benny Kovacs Jan 29th 2020 4:03 pm

May I suggest crossing the street when you see a Chinaman approaching?

enter Jan 29th 2020 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever (Post 12798040)
These type illnesses know NO boundaries. I would not worry about just TESCO Chinese takeaways or products. I would be more concerned about ANYONE that has recently done air travel or public transportation. This illness knows no racial boundaries. ANYONE can become sick if exposed to them. Take common sense steps to avoid large crowds and if you get sick don't hesitate to seek medical treatment.

I KNOW

wolfi Jan 29th 2020 4:56 pm

Now I just have to share a bad, bad joke I read:
The only known way to fight that virus is drinking one or two Corona beers with your meal!
Actually in every country thousands of people die every year from the common flu ...

enter Jan 29th 2020 5:00 pm

Start a thread and let it fly in all sorts of directions.

Sachina Jan 29th 2020 5:51 pm

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...8a&oe=5ECD5786

FenTiger Jan 30th 2020 10:01 am

An ex-neighbour of my parents in law went to work in China. He fell in love with a chinese lady and dumped his Hungarian wife. I suspect at this point in time he's probably wondering if he can come back to Hungary and bring his chinese partner. I would expect the Hungarian government's answer would be NO!
Before I retired I worked with a Chinese guy and before him a Chinese lady. I think they are very worried for their families back home. I also had a colleague in another finance department from Hong Kong and she has been resident in the UK since before .Hong Kong was handed back to China. It must be a very difficult time for them.

FenTiger Jan 30th 2020 10:04 am

Originally Posted by wolfi (Post 12798066)
Now I just have to share a bad, bad joke I read:
The only known way to fight that virus is drinking one or two Corona beers with your meal!
Actually in every country thousands of people die every year from the common flu ...

Wolfi - you've probably enraged the whole Hungarian nation! They swear by drinking a shot of palinka every morning keeps you healthy.

FenTiger Jan 30th 2020 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Benny Kovacs (Post 12798025)
Yeah, that's a good idea, I never really thought about it until now.
I will also boycott take away food but I won't worry about buying clothes and other goods made by 12 year old children and prisoners working as forced labourers because they are not allowed outside so won't catch anything.

:thumbsup:

They could catch the virus from new child employees or prisoners who already have the virus.

FenTiger Jan 30th 2020 10:17 am

In my post above I mentioned a colleague from Hong Kong. She once came into work wearing a dust mask. I felt quite offended. I thought what the hell is she thinking. But it turned out she fell off her bike and grazed her face and she felt so embarassed she thought wearing the dust mask would cover up her grazed face!

wolfi Jan 30th 2020 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 12798451)
Wolfi - you've probably enraged the whole Hungarian nation! They swear by drinking a shot of palinka every morning keeps you healthy.

Just one shot of pálinka?
Often they have more - even in Keszthely we passed a sörözö this morning by 9 o'clock on our way to the Lidl with several guys standing outside drinking and smoking ...

FenTiger Jan 30th 2020 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by wolfi (Post 12798594)
Just one shot of pálinka?
Often they have more - even in Keszthely we passed a sörözö this morning by 9 o'clock on our way to the Lidl with several guys standing outside drinking and smoking ...

My father-in-law always popped into a sorozo when getting fresh bread and ham from Coop. It was quite easy to know when he had done so because of how long it took him to go to Coop and home.