British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/coronavirus-930712/)

PaulinEger Mar 6th 2020 7:22 am

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 12816202)
As I understand it the 2 Hungarians are the wife and girl friend of the 2 Iranians and they are the 2 infected Hungarians not the 2 Iranian students (who went voluntarily for testing as one of them felt ill, both having just returned from family visits to Iran) .

The several articles that I've read have stated that it's the male students but now one of the girlfriends has also tested positive, along with someone who flew back from Milan.

GBA77 Mar 13th 2020 9:32 pm

On this topic, I received an email from my agent here (Hungary) that sorts my Hungary related matters for me, that our local mayor (ess) or whatever, had been in contact with her. She obviously knows that I arrived in Hungary very recently but wants to know the route I took to get here and by what means. I did supply the details.
The mayor and her family drive past my place a few times a day to get to each others houses and would have seen my van (yes a van - dont ask) in the drive! She also wants me to go to the local (next village) to have the Covid 19 blood test and wants me to supply her with a certificate of same!!!!!!

Anyone know if the mayor (ess) request is a legal one? Whilst I totally accept that the mayor (ess) is intending to look after the welfare of the village, I do have reservations that her request is a legal one. However there may be some or other special emergency laws in place here in Hungary of which I am not aware.

Beside a short (to some) or prolonged (to others) wave to some of the locals, I have not been in physical contact or close proximity with anyone here.

Whilst there is no doubt the matter is a very serious one, I advised my agent that I would be requiring a very recent covid 19 test certificate of the mayor (ess) as well as her family.

Anyone else been instructed to have this blood test upon recent arrival?

GBA

Peter_in_Hungary Mar 13th 2020 11:32 pm

The government has declared a state of emergency, I suspect not because the situation is dire (yet) but rather that declaring such enables certain powers to be invoked. This evening I heard that schools will be closed, Unis have already shut and the education system top to bottom will be going on line. Victor gave a TV broadcast this evening (with another scheduled for tomorrow) outlining 10 task groups to manage certain aspects of the crisis.- One of the specific things he asked is that children are not sent to grandparents for child minding. - So the state is taking things seriously.

However to your point, is the request for your test legal? I don't know, however from my family, my son was sent on a business trip to Holland 2 weeks ago and returned today. The area in Holland was one with a high number of cases. He has been asked to 'self isolate' for 2 weeks and at the same time his family (2 kids of kindergarten school age and his wife) will also have the same isolation. There is a red notice to be put on the gate informing the public of the situation. So I can quite see where your council / mayor is coming from.

Depending upon your circumstances here and for the future good relationships in the village in your place I would either comply with the request for a test or offer to self isolate for 2 weeks. Perhaps ask the mayor to organise a test via the local GP and offer to self isolate in the mean time. Never mind the legalities of the request, the politically correct thing to do and for good future relations would be to comply in the easiest way for you..

GBA77 Mar 14th 2020 8:39 am

Thanks Peter.

I did a period of self isolation a short while ago so I think the blood test is preferable tbh.

Just received a message this morning that the mayor says I must NOT go to the local doctors on Monday as she is unsure if they have the test facilities or not. I may have to go to Zalaegerszeg but they will let me know. I think I can see where this is going.

FenTiger Mar 14th 2020 9:14 am

Originally Posted by GBA77 (Post 12820417)
Thanks Peter.

I did a period of self isolation a short while ago so I think the blood test is preferable tbh.

Just received a message this morning that the mayor says I must NOT go to the local doctors on Monday as she is unsure if they have the test facilities or not. I may have to go to Zalaegerszeg but they will let me know. I think I can see where this is going.

Good idea to get blood test. Once you got the results you can shove it right up the mayor/ess arse! Sorry for such a rude reply. If this post gets binned. Okay. I acept it.

FenTiger Mar 14th 2020 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 12820303)
The government has declared a state of emergency, I suspect not because the situation is dire (yet) but rather that declaring such enables certain powers to be invoked. This evening I heard that schools will be closed, Unis have already shut and the education system top to bottom will be going on line. Victor gave a TV broadcast this evening (with another scheduled for tomorrow) outlining 10 task groups to manage certain aspects of the crisis.- One of the specific things he asked is that children are not sent to grandparents for child minding. - So the state is taking things seriously.

However to your point, is the request for your test legal? I don't know, however from my family, my son was sent on a business trip to Holland 2 weeks ago and returned today. The area in Holland was one with a high number of cases. He has been asked to 'self isolate' for 2 weeks and at the same time his family (2 kids of kindergarten school age and his wife) will also have the same isolation. There is a red notice to be put on the gate informing the public of the situation. So I can quite see where your council / mayor is coming from.

Depending upon your circumstances here and for the future good relationships in the village in your place I would either comply with the request for a test or offer to self isolate for 2 weeks. Perhaps ask the mayor to organise a test via the local GP and offer to self isolate in the mean time. Never mind the legalities of the request, the politically correct thing to do and for good future relations would be to comply in the easiest way for you..

I hope your son is okay. I agree ... good idea to get a test but is it wise to go to a GP surgery but .... is it wise to go to GP surgery for a blood test? I used to work in NHS .... you won''t believe the number of times I caught norovirus .... as a result of very poor hygiene by NHS employees!!! Thanks god I've retired!!!!

scrubbedexpat142 Mar 14th 2020 10:01 am

"Two Iranian university students have been expelled from Hungary for leaving a hospital where they were ordered to stay in quarantine due to coronavirus, the interior ministry said on Friday.

The two men had repeatedly left their room in St. László Hospital and would refuse to return when they were warned, the statement said, adding that they had behaved aggressively with staff at the hospital."

Looks like the State is taking non compliance seriously.

almafak Mar 14th 2020 10:41 am

It is unlikely that any village surgery will have facilities to do these tests. Our village doctor would take a sample and personally deliver it to the closest test centre. A blood test can be taken by any competent person (nurse, physican). They are likely to require a "Nasopharyngeal Swab" for a PCR test but this can be taken by the same person.

Our village housewife-Mayor has thankfully been replaced at the recent election by someone with a bit more ability to manage village affairs. Of course they can (and do) issue edicts but it should be up to the physican to decide whether or not you should go to a hospital for a sample.

Thermal checks are now being made at land borders with Austria and Slovenia. People who have passed through Italy and others suspected of being infected are issued with a red card that must placed prominently at your place of quarantine. this-is-why-it-is-important-to-introduce-and-observe-compulsory-home-quarantine/

Peter_in_Hungary Mar 14th 2020 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by GBA77 (Post 12820417)
Thanks Peter.

My understanding is that the test is NOT a blood test but a swap from the nose or mouth. The local GP won't be able to examine a swab for infection, it will need to be sent to the laboratory designated for the area. I would be surprised if you have to go anywhere for the swab to be taken - the last thing Hungary needs is lots of potentially infectious people traveling around the countryside and visiting hospitals and alike to get a test - sounds like a good way to ensure the spread. There will be procedures in place by now for testing and the mayor will have to find out what they are. Don't be too hard on her, she is probably just trying to do her best to protect her village.

BTW the radio is giving out the message that you should not go to the GP but phone instead.

wolfi Mar 14th 2020 2:43 pm

In my German hometown they installed testing systems in the "docmobile" that has been around for a few years.
It's parked somewhere and several docs are available to question people and decide on the test.
Before you get an appointment you have to call a doc (not go to the office!) who will decide, depending on your history - visits to Italy, contact with a patient etc ...

FenTiger Mar 14th 2020 4:24 pm

I'm so glad I retired early back in August 2019. No doubt I would have been struck down with coronavirus! Why do I say this ..... there's been numerous times when I caught norovirus! I worked for NHS ... hygiene ..... sorry most NHS employees don't understand why basic hand washing is important!

Peter_in_Hungary Mar 14th 2020 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 12820638)
I'm so glad I retired early back in August 2019. No doubt I would have been struck down with coronavirus! Why do I say this ..... there's been numerous times when I caught norovirus! I worked for NHS ... hygiene ..... sorry most NHS employees don't understand why basic hand washing is important!

I have heard on the UK news that they (UK gov) are considering recalling recently retired NHS workers to assist if things get silly(ier) in the NHS - Perhaps you should get over here quickly !!

FenTiger Mar 15th 2020 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 12820679)
I have heard on the UK news that they (UK gov) are considering recalling recently retired NHS workers to assist if things get silly(ier) in the NHS - Perhaps you should get over here quickly !!

I doubt I would be much use as a number cruncher to tackle coronavirus!

Peter_in_Hungary Mar 15th 2020 10:15 am

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 12821011)
I doubt I would be much use as a number cruncher to tackle coronavirus!

On the contrary, if you go back this releases someone to go elsewhere and the effect ripples through to the front line

FenTiger Mar 15th 2020 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 12821063)
On the contrary, if you go back this releases someone to go elsewhere and the effect ripples through to the front line

I'd rather avoid going back to work because my office site is a mental health hospital. Alternatively, I could work from home but would have to head into central London to pick up a work laptop.