Wikiposts

GOA - Buyer Beware!

Old Mar 12th 2009, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

John Chappell will become famous soon enoughJohn Chappell will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Buyer Beware - Posted at the request of another. . . .

Originally Posted by noni
Personal details yes. But we are here to help each other and share our experiences at this traumatic time.
:
Agreed, but I cannot see the point in giving away your "Game Plan" on a public forum. We know for a fact that these forums are monitored both by interested "Private Parties" and "Official Offices" alike.

John
Old Mar 13th 2009, 1:12 am
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of
Default Posted at the request of A.N.Other

Same as before - don't shoot the messenger:

please give these details to the expats
our post was more an update than a plea for help. If any one has been given a show cause notice than please consider joining forces. If you have not had a show cause notice or do get summoned to the Enforcement office than please write in to the British Consulate at panjim to express your concerns over the political harassment of non Indian British Nationals who own a property and your concerns over your future here in Goa. stand firm on Section 13 as previously mentioned. Most important part of that is the requirement of you stating " that you have every intention of remaining here for an UNCERTAIN period. Also go to reserve bank of India in Panjim give them a letter stating that you are residing in Goa, that you have the deeds registered in your names and in view of the political situation are considering selling. Once you get a reply stating that you can sell than again write in asking them about repatriation of funds. hopefully once you get these two letters your home dry.

Regards

Hemingway
Old Mar 13th 2009, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

old man will become famous soon enoughold man will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Posted at the request of A.N.Other

Originally Posted by hemingway
Same as before - don't shoot the messenger:

please give these details to the expats
our post was more an update than a plea for help. If any one has been given a show cause notice than please consider joining forces. If you have not had a show cause notice or do get summoned to the Enforcement office than please write in to the British Consulate at panjim to express your concerns over the political harassment of non Indian British Nationals who own a property and your concerns over your future here in Goa. stand firm on Section 13 as previously mentioned. Most important part of that is the requirement of you stating " that you have every intention of remaining here for an UNCERTAIN period. Also go to reserve bank of India in Panjim give them a letter stating that you are residing in Goa, that you have the deeds registered in your names and in view of the political situation are considering selling. Once you get a reply stating that you can sell than again write in asking them about repatriation of funds. hopefully once you get these two letters your home dry.

Regards

Hemingway
Thank you for the update. Can anybody tell me the difference between a Show Case Notice, and being called before the D of E. Is the showcase Notice something that comes after you have been had your meeting with them.

Have heard Reserve Bank of India is not allowing funds to be repatriated at the moment, has anybody else heard this?

What is their address in Panjim? is there an email address.

Do you still have to do your 182 days in a financial year to sell if you get permission?
Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:03 am
Account Closed

Goacrazy56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old man
Thank you for the update. Can anybody tell me the difference between a Show Case Notice, and being called before the D of E. Is the showcase Notice something that comes after you have been had your meeting with them.

Have heard Reserve Bank of India is not allowing funds to be repatriated at the moment, has anybody else heard this?

Do you still have to do your 182 days in a financial year to sell if you get permission?

Foreign Exchange Dept
3A/B Sesa Ghor 20 EDC Complex
Patto Plaza
Panaji
403-001
Goa India
Telephone number 032 243 8656
e-mail [email protected]
No money can repatriated until RBI in Panjim get written permission form RBI in Mumbai
Good luck Every thing through RBI must be put in writing and it is a very slow process that have a back log of work so be prepared to wait
GC

Last edited by Goacrazy56; Mar 13th 2009 at 2:04 am. Reason: I feel asleep writing it as i feel asleep in RBI in Dec after 4 hour wait
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:42 am
Just Joined

Heaven17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

HI to all British Expats,
I’m a newbie writing to this site but for a very long time have been an avid reader of the buyer beware section. I write this now as I also have been caught up in this fiasco, I bought a small property on a commercial visa complied with FEMA and registered my sale deeds and was resident for three years.
However, you are right in assuming your properties will probably be taken and all of your worst fears will come true, as have mine.
I now find myself ( like others who purchased property ) quietly banned from India. I returned to the UK to obtain my new visa without any problems, then on arriving in India I find myself denied entry at the Airport with no explanation as to why.
Like lots of you, I sold my property in England for my dream. I had a business in Goa, my whole life was there and now I cannot even get back to clear my house or bank accounts! I have been in constant contact with the Indian and British commissions, to no avail. I signed the expat petition, wrote to all authorities ( my local MP, Millibad , Vaz, Asian correspondents etc. ) but it makes no difference at all, just lands on deaf ears I'm afraid. (maybe they fear India will cancel its order of fighter jets from the UK?)
However, the worst was yet to come…. as I had been non resident in the UK for over 3 years, whilst resident in Goa, I am not entitled to any benefits in the UK, as far as they are concerned I have over the stipulated £12,000.00 savings due to my investments in Goa, ha ! I was sent back to the UK homeless. It doesn’t matter what door I knock on nothing seems to happen. I totally agree that you all need to form a pressure group because for sure they will take all you have and also make you pay fines and if you don’t pay these you will be given a criminal record too! (300 % is an impossible fine to pay, for most I‘m sure).
It has been confirmed recently on the Indian Business law site:
INDIA BUSINESS WORLD . (GOVERNMENT SCRUTINISES ILLEGAL LAND ACQUISITION BY FOREIGNERS) - Online Legal Advice Services World Wide Law Firm Lawyer. Mht , that Delhi is backing Goa and they have re-worded ( moved the goal posts ) the meaning of "intention to stay"’ of which now many foreigners will fail to meet.
FEMA states the following provisions, however should it not include in A.35 " ALL OTHER FOREIGNERS" ?!!!!

Q.34. Can foreign nationals of non-Indian origin resident in India or outside India who had earlier acquired immovable property under FERA with specific approval of Reserve Bank continue to hold the same? Can they transfer such property?

A.34. Yes, they may continue to hold the immovable property. However, they can transfer the property only with the prior approval of Reserve Bank.

Q.35. Is a resident in India governed by the provisions of Foreign Exchange Management (Acquisition and transfer of immovable property in India) Regulations, 2000?

A.35. A person resident in India who is a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh or Sri Lanka or Afghanistan or China or Iran or Nepal or Bhutan is governed by the provisions of Foreign Exchange Management (Acquisition and Transfer of Immovable Property in India) Regulations, 2000 ie. he would require prior approval of Reserve Bank for acquisition and transfer of immovable property in India even though he is resident in India. Such requests are considered by Reserve Bank in consultation with the Government in India

I am now resigning myself to the fact that the Goans I thought were so great for the last 15 years have now left me feeling depressed, causing me so many sleepless nights. I’m sure I like the rest of you, had a nice neighbourhood and didn’t cause anyone any trouble. I supported all the local charities and gave time , energy and money to the local people, then I find that these politicians and lawyers have sold us all down the river with their lies and deceit.
I wasn’t stupid, I did my own research prior to purchase and India was definitely up for globalisation and then they make us all out to be land grabbing invaders and lawless. Did we all really get it wrong ? Remember the world wide exposure to invest in property in GOA ?!!
Everyday I pray that I don’t feel bitter tomorrow, God knows the truth. I know the politicians / lawyers will get what they deserve at the day of reckoning because I know I did everything truthfully and honestly and all they have done is give the whole state of Goa and Goan’s in general a bad reputation for being dishonest, corrupt thieves (or worse). Do the rulers of this state not realise if our properties are confiscated then it will not only effect 500 property owners not returning to Goa but all families, friends and the many people we have encouraged to visit Goa over the years which must amount to at least 20 persons per property per season which equals a minimum of 10,000 visiting tourists who were spending money in the localities. They may try to blame the lack tourist numbers this season on the Mumbai terrorist attack , the credit crunch or even the Scarlet Keeling murder, but the truth is we would all have remained in Goa spending our money and also would have been resilient against the terrorist attacks and would have hoped that the horrid case of Scarlet would have been resolved with the murders being caught and precedents being set for better security in Goa, and her life would have not been lost in vain.
A decade ago Goans were known for their friendliness and godliness, now with all the terrible press it receives, the world only recognise Goans as corrupt souls. I have given so much to this state only to be treated like a fool, so I really hope you all get together when you can and try to make a difference, in Goa only people pressure en mass works, you never know the next visa you receive could be your last.

Dev Borum Korum
Heaven 17.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 4:20 am
Account Closed

Hi Heaven 17 Wow!! what an ordeal you have been through,Im so sorry to hear about your complete loss of everything.Can I ask did they give you a reason for denying you entry into India/Goa ?.Was you under investigation ?.I cannot believe the way you have been treated,its awful.
I was hoping that if Central Government stepped in they would put Goa firmly in their place as they are Interpreting the FEMA law to suit themselves but it seems Central Government are backing Goa according to your posting
GC:curse::curse::curse:
Old Mar 13th 2009, 4:31 am
Just Joined

Heaven17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi GoaCrazy
Thanks for your comments, I was not given any explanation, still waiting Indian High Commission reply, I have had no DOE letter or investigation whilst I was in GOA, my local MP is doing his best and awaiting replies from various depts in India, however I do know other people with the same problem, they thought it was because they owned the land their house was on and not leased. lets see. Regards Heaven17
Old Mar 13th 2009, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Heaven17
HI to all British Expats,
I’m a newbie writing to this site but for a very long time have been an avid reader of the buyer beware section. I write this now as I also have been caught up in this fiasco, I bought a small property on a commercial visa complied with FEMA and registered my sale deeds and was resident for three years.
However, you are right in assuming your properties will probably be taken and all of your worst fears will come true, as have mine.
I now find myself ( like others who purchased property ) quietly banned from India. I returned to the UK to obtain my new visa without any problems, then on arriving in India I find myself denied entry at the Airport with no explanation as to why.
Like lots of you, I sold my property in England for my dream. I had a business in Goa, my whole life was there and now I cannot even get back to clear my house or bank accounts! I have been in constant contact with the Indian and British commissions, to no avail. I signed the expat petition, wrote to all authorities ( my local MP, Millibad , Vaz, Asian correspondents etc. ) but it makes no difference at all, just lands on deaf ears I'm afraid. (maybe they fear India will cancel its order of fighter jets from the UK?)
However, the worst was yet to come…. as I had been non resident in the UK for over 3 years, whilst resident in Goa, I am not entitled to any benefits in the UK, as far as they are concerned I have over the stipulated £12,000.00 savings due to my investments in Goa, ha ! I was sent back to the UK homeless. It doesn’t matter what door I knock on nothing seems to happen. I totally agree that you all need to form a pressure group because for sure they will take all you have and also make you pay fines and if you don’t pay these you will be given a criminal record too! (300 % is an impossible fine to pay, for most I‘m sure).
It has been confirmed recently on the Indian Business law site:
INDIA BUSINESS WORLD . (GOVERNMENT SCRUTINISES ILLEGAL LAND ACQUISITION BY FOREIGNERS) - Online Legal Advice Services World Wide Law Firm Lawyer. Mht , that Delhi is backing Goa and they have re-worded ( moved the goal posts ) the meaning of "intention to stay"’ of which now many foreigners will fail to meet.
FEMA states the following provisions, however should it not include in A.35 " ALL OTHER FOREIGNERS" ?!!!!

Q.34. Can foreign nationals of non-Indian origin resident in India or outside India who had earlier acquired immovable property under FERA with specific approval of Reserve Bank continue to hold the same? Can they transfer such property?

A.34. Yes, they may continue to hold the immovable property. However, they can transfer the property only with the prior approval of Reserve Bank.

Q.35. Is a resident in India governed by the provisions of Foreign Exchange Management (Acquisition and transfer of immovable property in India) Regulations, 2000?

A.35. A person resident in India who is a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh or Sri Lanka or Afghanistan or China or Iran or Nepal or Bhutan is governed by the provisions of Foreign Exchange Management (Acquisition and Transfer of Immovable Property in India) Regulations, 2000 ie. he would require prior approval of Reserve Bank for acquisition and transfer of immovable property in India even though he is resident in India. Such requests are considered by Reserve Bank in consultation with the Government in India

I am now resigning myself to the fact that the Goans I thought were so great for the last 15 years have now left me feeling depressed, causing me so many sleepless nights. I’m sure I like the rest of you, had a nice neighbourhood and didn’t cause anyone any trouble. I supported all the local charities and gave time , energy and money to the local people, then I find that these politicians and lawyers have sold us all down the river with their lies and deceit.
I wasn’t stupid, I did my own research prior to purchase and India was definitely up for globalisation and then they make us all out to be land grabbing invaders and lawless. Did we all really get it wrong ? Remember the world wide exposure to invest in property in GOA ?!!
Everyday I pray that I don’t feel bitter tomorrow, God knows the truth. I know the politicians / lawyers will get what they deserve at the day of reckoning because I know I did everything truthfully and honestly and all they have done is give the whole state of Goa and Goan’s in general a bad reputation for being dishonest, corrupt thieves (or worse). Do the rulers of this state not realise if our properties are confiscated then it will not only effect 500 property owners not returning to Goa but all families, friends and the many people we have encouraged to visit Goa over the years which must amount to at least 20 persons per property per season which equals a minimum of 10,000 visiting tourists who were spending money in the localities. They may try to blame the lack tourist numbers this season on the Mumbai terrorist attack , the credit crunch or even the Scarlet Keeling murder, but the truth is we would all have remained in Goa spending our money and also would have been resilient against the terrorist attacks and would have hoped that the horrid case of Scarlet would have been resolved with the murders being caught and precedents being set for better security in Goa, and her life would have not been lost in vain.
A decade ago Goans were known for their friendliness and godliness, now with all the terrible press it receives, the world only recognise Goans as corrupt souls. I have given so much to this state only to be treated like a fool, so I really hope you all get together when you can and try to make a difference, in Goa only people pressure en mass works, you never know the next visa you receive could be your last.

Dev Borum Korum
Heaven 17.
I just can't believe what I have read.
We all have our crosses to bear in life but at least we have our home in UK. How dare they treat people like this, when we fall over backwards to help immigrants.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Does anybody know?
Old Mar 13th 2009, 5:10 am
Account Closed

[/COLOR][/B] Does anybody know?
Hi Oldman this question has been asked before on here but no one seems to know,I have posted RBI address telephone number and e-mail address you could always contact them and ask the question
Old Mar 13th 2009, 5:14 am
Account Closed

Hi GoaCrazy
Thanks for your comments, I was not given any explanation, still waiting Indian High Commission reply, I have had no DOE letter or investigation whilst I was in GOA, my local MP is doing his best and awaiting replies from various depts in India, however I do know other people with the same problem, they thought it was because they owned the land their house was on and not leased. lets see. Regards Heaven17
I think it is bl**dy criminal what they have done,so what you are saying is I could be stopped and told to go home as soon as I land in Goa in April.What the hell is going on over there :curse::curse::curse::curse:
Old Mar 13th 2009, 5:32 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

I just can't believe what I have read.
We all have our crosses to bear in life but at least we have our home in UK. How dare they treat people like this, when we fall over backwards to help immigrants.
Heaven17 Welcome to the site - or should I say Hell17. :curse: Everyday seems to get worse and more worms come out of the woodwork. We must stick together. United we stand divided we fall.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

goa utd is on a distinguished road

Heaven 17,

I agree we all should form a pressure group. Have you contacted The Viscount Waverley as he did talk to the House of Lords about the possibility of UK citizens losing their homes in Goa. It's worth giving him a try his email is:
[email protected]

It would be good if you can keep us in touch so we can exchange information.
Good luck and let us know what we can do to help.

Goa Utd
Old Mar 13th 2009, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

indiapurple will become famous soon enoughindiapurple will become famous soon enough

Hi GoaCrazy
Hi Heaven 17, my God what a nightmare for you!! I think your post will have sent a chill down many a spine...it definately did mine.

May I ask if you arrived by Scheduled Flight and were refused at Mumbai or was it Charter and you were refused at Goa? Also do you think it was because you were on a Business Visa? Sorry to ask questions at a time like this but would really be interested in your answers.

I really hope your situation in both Goa and the UK is sorted soon.
kind regards
Indiapurple
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by indiapurple
Hi Heaven 17, my God what a nightmare for you!! I think your post will have sent a chill down many a spine...it definately did mine.

May I ask if you arrived by Scheduled Flight and were refused at Mumbai or was it Charter and you were refused at Goa? Also do you think it was because you were on a Business Visa? Sorry to ask questions at a time like this but would really be interested in your answers.

I really hope your situation in both Goa and the UK is sorted soon.
kind regards
Indiapurple
yes it seriously chilled me!
I'm sorry for more questions - but have your lawyers considered an RTI application to the Immigration people, and do you mind if those of us who are currently writing to MP's etc. quote your case (we'd need to PM you for actual identity etc.)
best regards - AndyD 8-)#

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.