British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Goa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/goa-170/)
-   -   In To-day's Newspapers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/goa-170/days-newspapers-558924/)

Daff Dec 8th 2008 11:46 pm

Re: In To-day's Newspapers

Originally Posted by johnny five (Post 7051511)
Interesting but very, very politically motivated and anti-Congress biased. The publication concerned is clearly a mouthpiece for the BJP and even the more extreme Hindu organisations such as those involved in the attacks on Christians earlier this year. (all this is clear if you go to their "home" and "about us" pages)
The previous articles were clearly "grinding an axe" but with what appeared to be youthful enthusiasm rather than political prejudice (albeit from the safe comfort of an ex-patriate Goan existence in Canada)
Goan Voice automatically collects any media output that mentions Goa. We as members of this forum can ( and should?) be a little more selective or at least qualify or define what we bring to the attention of others................

:eek: Johnny Five times more serious than usual :eek:

So sorree. Will try to do better next time:(

Daff Dec 9th 2008 9:45 am

Originally Posted by johnny five (Post 7051511)
We as members of this forum can ( and should?) be a little more selective or at least qualify or define what we bring to the attention of others................

:eek: Johnny Five times more serious than usual :eek:

Yes this is a somewhat biased article but this forum has consistently fought for the right of opinion. To quote a long standing member 'Opinions are like A...holes ! Every bodies got one ! Why should we be selective or qualify before posting?:(lets see what is out there and make our own judgements.
Ours is to keep our opinions and postings to ourselves from now on :frown:

thatman Dec 9th 2008 1:39 pm

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/C...ow/3816146.cms

Hope the jeeps don't bump into these.;)

thatman Dec 9th 2008 5:43 pm

There is also a article entitiled "Rules for Unruly Roads" in the Herald 2day supplement which is funny but alas true - can't find how to direct you to it online - anyone help?

Forgot to say that my last posting with the reference is about building bunkers on the beaches!!

johnny five Dec 9th 2008 6:31 pm

Another link to a good one about our blunderful Police Farce.........

http://oheraldo.in/pagedetails.asp?nid=13802&cid=14/

:eek: J5 :eek:

thatman Dec 12th 2008 3:19 pm

Here is one for you J5

from the Tof I - Russian Consulate concerned about security of Russians in Goa

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/C...ow/3831304.cms

maybe they will leave Siolim;)

From the Herald is a report that Leopolds opening a branch in Candolim.

Over-rated and overpriced. Cashing in on the devastation in Mumbai.

a_f_d Dec 12th 2008 10:08 pm

thatman said

From the Herald is a report that Leopolds opening a branch in Candolim.

Over-rated and overpriced. Cashing in on the devastation in Mumbai.
I find that remark over cynical and unfeeling - several of their staff were killed as well as customers.
I give them full marks for re-opening immediately in the face of terrorism, and extra marks for being prepared to expand rather than cower down.
I have also enjoyed Leopolds for many years as a pleasant haven in Bombay.

AndyD 8-)#

johnny five Dec 12th 2008 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by a_f_d (Post 7063582)

AndyD 8-)#

I think you have just reinforced Thatman's point!
Leopolds has been a very successful thriving business for many many years yet now, in a radically shrinking tourist/traveller market and a world-wide mega recession the owners decide to expand the "brand" (any money you like they will be franchises) and open branches in other places.
Now what could possibly have changed/happened in the last few weeks to prompt this?

:eek: Johnny Five minutes to work this one out :eek:

thatman Dec 13th 2008 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by a_f_d (Post 7063582)
thatman said

I find that remark over cynical and unfeeling - several of their staff were killed as well as customers.
I give them full marks for re-opening immediately in the face of terrorism, and extra marks for being prepared to expand rather than cower down.

AndyD 8-)#

Thank you J5 for that reply to the above from someone who obviously knows nothing about me - I was going to reply to it but really can't be bothered to answer such a stupid statement.

thatman Dec 14th 2008 12:41 am

AndyD 8-)#[/QUOTE]

p.s.Leopolds is in Mumbai - NOT Bombay. Probably Bombay in your day but not ours.

a_f_d Dec 14th 2008 3:37 am

p.s.Leopolds is in Mumbai - NOT Bombay. Probably Bombay in your day but not ours.
Leopolds was in Bombay when it opened and for most of its existence. It was in Bombay when I first went there, so I feel entitled to use that name, ymmv.

As regards your previous post, obviously I don't know anything about you, which is why I didn't make any comments about you - I commented on the content of your post.

AndyD 8-)#

spangalina Dec 14th 2008 6:00 am

i have known the parsis who own leopolds since i first came to india in the 80's and they are now super wealthy.
they are definately cashing in on the brand, i find it totally sad that they would do this, and i'm sure many of my old european,irani and afghani friends who hung out in there would feel the same. they just can't help themselves can they? money, money, money!
any news on the scarlett keeling case????!!!! poor girls still not buried:curse:
accused out now and sitting on the beach!!

enfield951 Dec 14th 2008 8:14 am

This Mumbai v Bombay thing is OK and I'm either way, but it is confusing.
We live in a complex of 38 apartments ,we are the only Europeans and the majority of the owners live in where they call Bombay,the AGM's are held in Bombay (the notification letter calls it this).Even the weather report on BBC World calls it Bombay !
Nor have I ever seen Mumbai Potatoes or Chennai Curry on a menu !
A play it by ear situation if ever there was one,just like the old UK,Britain ,Great Britain,England form filling poser !
;);)

johnny five Dec 14th 2008 4:00 pm

How about this one then?

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...Mode=HTML&GZ=T

Do you think this may apply to people who have been 17 times before?

:eek: J5 :eek:

enfield951 Dec 15th 2008 12:44 am

Originally Posted by enfield951 (Post 7067016)
This Mumbai v Bombay thing is OK and I'm either way, but it is confusing.
We live in a complex of 38 apartments ,we are the only Europeans and the majority of the owners live in where they call Bombay,the AGM's are held in Bombay (the notification letter calls it this).Even the weather report on BBC World calls it Bombay !
Nor have I ever seen Mumbai Potatoes or Chennai Curry on a menu !
A play it by ear situation if ever there was one,just like the old UK,Britain ,Great Britain,England form filling poser !
;);)

Further to my previous post, as an English cricket fan I did taste Chennai Defeat today !!!
:cool::cool:

PS Just noticed that's 300 up !!