Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

In To-day's Newspapers

Old May 29th 2011, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

oktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant future
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

Originally Posted by Bipat
The bottles, absolutely agree with you, but don't see this happening on South Goa or Karwar beaches.

The saris: to many Indian women exposing their bare limbs in public is something that they just would not do, things are changing with more freedom in films, but particularly older women would just not wear a swimming costume. (I still would not dare to wear swimming things in front of relatives, only wear beach things when we are alone). Conversly no problem with bare midriff below sari blouse!
For many though just cannot resist the lure of going into the sea.

Brown underwear: can you explain this? as I have never seen this, all rels. seem to wear white (I've seen them on the washing lines) (and they stretch because people who do the washing wring them with iron grip!! OH insists on doing his own, no washing machine in our holiday home).

Basically Noni different human beings have different habits (and that includes us)
its true - south goa (benaulim/Varca/Colva) must be different in this regard and hopefully will stay that way - maybe its not enticing to the local tourist being quieter . never seen men bathing in brown underwear or women doing so in sarees on south goa beaches either. we had no washing machine till now and i used the hand washing method you mentioned Bipat , but getting one installed soon
Old May 29th 2011, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

The bottles, absolutely agree with you, but don't see this happening on South Goa or Karwar beaches.

The saris: to many Indian women exposing their bare limbs in public is something that they just would not do, things are changing with more freedom in films, but particularly older women would just not wear a swimming costume. (I still would not dare to wear swimming things in front of relatives, only wear beach things when we are alone). Conversly no problem with bare midriff below sari blouse!

Brown underwear: can you explain this? as I have never seen this, all rels. seem to wear white (I've seen them on the washing lines) (and they stretch because people who do the washing wring them with iron grip!! OH insists on doing his own, no washing machine in our holiday home).

Basically Noni different human beings have different habits (and that includes us)
What amazes me is that these Indian women do not seem to realise that often the water is making their saris more or less transparent which I think looks even worse than a swimsuit. The brown underpants are awful, I am suprised you have not seen them, but we get male Indian visitors to our resort going in the pool in underwear, underpants and vests whatever the colour and we even get some going in fully dressed in the clothes they have been wearing all day. I suppose it cleans their clothes but it does not do much for the state of the swimming pool.
Old May 29th 2011, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by k800mer
What amazes me is that these Indian women do not seem to realise that often the water is making their saris more or less transparent which I think looks even worse than a swimsuit. The brown underpants are awful, I am suprised you have not seen them, but we get male Indian visitors to our resort going in the pool in underwear, underpants and vests whatever the colour and we even get some going in fully dressed in the clothes they have been wearing all day. I suppose it cleans their clothes but it does not do much for the state of the swimming pool.
'These Indian women' often do realise, you must heve seen Hindi films there is very often a 'wet sari scene' the heroine getting wet in the rain or 'accidently' falling in a river, but the orthodoxy of dress continues for many of certain age and social set of Indian ladies.
Just asked OH if he has ever seen brown underpants answer is 'no', must be a 'going to N. Goa' thing !!!

Last edited by Bipat; May 29th 2011 at 2:37 am. Reason: Capital letter missing.
Old May 29th 2011, 2:44 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bipat,

Thnk you must come up to the north! Calangute beach is full of indians, the indian ladies are totally stupid going into the sea, as the currents from Calangute to the Taj are horrendous, you can be knocked down standing on the edge of the water. If they want to swim in their sari's they should go to one of the "flat water" beaches.

It is not fair on the lifeguards risking their lives for these ladies, and the drunken men.

Brown undies, again in the North Indian men walk along the beach in awful undies, ( colour makes them look as if they suffered from Delhi Belli.

Last edited by noni; May 29th 2011 at 2:48 am. Reason: sorry msj5 spelt calangute wrong again! spelling
Old May 29th 2011, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noni
Hi Bipat,

Thnk you must come up to the north! Calengute beach is full of indians, the indian ladies are totally stupid going into the sea, as the currents from Calengute to the Taj are horrendous, you can be knocked down standing on the edge of the water. If they want to swim in their sari's they should go to one of the "flat water" beaches.

It is not fair on the lifeguards risking their lives for these ladies, and the drunken men.

Brown undies, again in the North Indian men walk along the beach in awful undies, ( colour makes them look as if they suffered from Delhi Belli.
Had often previously been tempted to go again to 'old haunts' in the North but since discovering and reading this forum decided 'never again'!!!
Agree about the dangers, but 'stupid' is a harsh word, some women may never have seen the sea and have no idea about the dangers and unfortunately many will not know how to swim.
I have heard it said (not by me of course) that Europeans can be totally stupid sunbathing all day in bikinis and risking malignant melanomas
I really have never seen any men in brown underpants. They must buy them especially to upset N.Goan expats.
Old May 29th 2011, 3:12 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

"stupid" yes! - Surely those with the teenest bit of intelligence standing at the waters edge can feel the pull of the current, that with a wet sari is a recipe for disaster. 99.9% of rescues by the lifeguards are indians.

I don't know what is worse indians in brown wet pants and vests, or old white wrinklies in thongs
Old May 29th 2011, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by noni

"stupid" yes! - Surely those with the teenest bit of intelligence standing at the waters edge can feel the pull of the current, that with a wet sari is a recipe for disaster. 99.9% of rescues by the lifeguards are indians.

I don't know what is worse indians in brown wet pants and vests, or old white wrinklies in thongs
Noni I know it makes you I suppose it is just a word, I would use 'ignorance'. For us living in an 'Island' and most of us used to the sea, it is difficult to imagine the (stupidity) if you like, and excitement of visiting the ocean for those living inland in a huge continent. At least I presume the (I)ndian lifeguards must be skilled. About the North/South divide I wouldn't have much faith in those I have seen in South, they seem to spend all their time driving up and down at dangerous speeds in their vehicles!!

Last edited by Bipat; May 29th 2011 at 3:40 am.
Old May 29th 2011, 4:27 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Just asked OH if he has ever seen brown underpants answer is 'no', must be a 'going to N. Goa' thing !!
I really have never seen any men in brown underpants. They must buy them especially to upset N.Goan expats.
Jockey (well known international "innerwear" manufacturer)
Rio Classic
Design #8033
Colourways; Grey, White, Blue and BROWN
Availability: Jockey stockists in any major town in Goa
Comfort level: High

Photos available (unmodelled!)

Old May 29th 2011, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

Noni I know it makes you I suppose it is just a word, I would use 'ignorance'. For us living in an 'Island' and most of us used to the sea, it is difficult to imagine the (stupidity) if you like, and excitement of visiting the ocean for those living inland in a huge continent. At least I presume the (I)ndian lifeguards must be skilled. About the North/South divide I wouldn't have much faith in those I have seen in South, they seem to spend all their time driving up and down at dangerous speeds in their vehicles!!
It may be ignorance that takes these people into water that has such strong currents but when they have been told to come out by life guards and they ignore their instructions and are rude to them perhaps the (s) word does apply as it applys to anyone who lies out in the sun all day without proper protection.
Old May 29th 2011, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It may be ignorance that takes these people into water that has such strong currents but when they have been told to come out by life guards and they ignore their instructions and are rude to them perhaps the (s) word does apply as it applys to anyone who lies out in the sun all day without proper protection.
In these situations absolutely agree with you.
Old May 29th 2011, 4:55 am

(s) word - anybody would have thought I said the F word

J5 photo please modelled "brownies"

Last edited by noni; May 29th 2011 at 4:58 am.
Old May 29th 2011, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

jcbrum is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry it's just not in the northern belt the Indian's where their brown underpants.Bipat you must go around with your eyes closed (or think they are naked,which it looks like from a distance).The beach today at Bogmalo, there were loads of them.

John
Old May 29th 2011, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jcbrum
Sorry it's just not in the northern belt the Indian's where their brown underpants.Bipat you must go around with your eyes closed (or think they are naked,which it looks like from a distance).The beach today at Bogmalo, there were loads of them.

John
Our areas are far South, Varca beach our most Nothern point of beach visits so haven't seen the Bogmalo brownies. Maybe I just don't stare at men's underpants. Although giving it thought have seen quite a few blue and at a recent wedding the groom's dhoti (see through as usual) showed that he was wearing boxers with teddy bear design, caused some mirth among the women (and relieved the boredom). My education (and OHs) with the brown is obviously lacking.
Old May 29th 2011, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by jcbrum

John
Of course, jc it's Sunday, brown undies and ogglers

Must say wish I was there, it has been such a cold, windy, wet, miserable Bank Holiday Sunday
went as far as the cliff tops and came back home. Bought some local strawberries which were fantastic and full of flavour.

Last edited by noni; May 29th 2011 at 5:51 am.
Old May 29th 2011, 5:53 am

Our areas are far South, Varca beach our most Nothern point of beach visits so haven't seen the Bogmalo brownies. Maybe I just don't stare at men's underpants. Although giving it thought have seen quite a few blue and at a recent wedding the groom's dhoti (see through as usual) showed that he was wearing boxers with teddy bear design, caused some mirth among the women (and relieved the boredom). My education (and OHs) with the brown is obviously lacking.
J5 will model and post a photo for you,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.