Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

In To-day's Newspapers

Old May 18th 2011, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Heidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really nice
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

Just waiting to hear, on the radio, how David Cameron is defending to the house his decision to increase the 300 million pounds aid we give to India each year! If it wasn't so bloody infuriating, I'd laugh!
Old May 18th 2011, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heidigirl
Just waiting to hear, on the radio, how David Cameron is defending to the house his decision to increase the 300 million pounds aid we give to India each year! If it wasn't so bloody infuriating, I'd laugh!
Can see what you mean, particularly as Gov. of India has said that they don't want it; and India itself gives about £300 million in aid to other countries. It is just passing money around.
However the entire foreign aid given by UK will be 0.7% of GNI (the UN target) and there are other countries who give far more including Ireland.
What is important is some sort of control on how the aid is used, particularly in Pakistan which will have the largest amount of UK aid. It is desperately needed there but how will it be used?
Old May 18th 2011, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

Heidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bipat
Can see what you mean, particularly as Gov. of India has said that they don't want it; and India itself gives about £300 million in aid to other countries. It is just passing money around.
However the entire foreign aid given by UK will be 0.7% of GNI (the UN target) and there are other countries who give far more including Ireland.
What is important is some sort of control on how the aid is used, particularly in Pakistan which will have the largest amount of UK aid. It is desperately needed there but how will it be used?
Pakistan will be the third highest amount we will be giving - according to David Cameron today.
Old May 18th 2011, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Pakistan will be the third highest amount we will be giving - according to David Cameron today.
I'm out of date then, looking back on the article I read, it states 'could receive the most' . Still hope they use whatever they get for its intended purpose.

Last edited by Bipat; May 18th 2011 at 3:01 am.
Old May 18th 2011, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

I'm out of date then, looking back on the article I read, it states 'could receive the most' . Still hope they use whatever they get for its intended purpose.
It really doesn't matter who gets most - various sources will contradict each other anyway. It's just an absolute disgrace and I'm sick of our country giving so much Aid to countries who mismanage their own economy and when we're on our knees ourselves.
Old May 18th 2011, 9:49 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I really don't care what percentage this equates to, I just object to taxpayers money being given in aid to a country, where the majority of it will go into politicians' and rich peoples' pockets ! I also object to this money on the basis that India's economy is bouyant, could afford to eradicate much of its' poverty, yet chooses not to in favour of corruption and capitalist selfisness.
The UK is on the point of financial crippledom and cannot afford these handouts.

And before you turn this into some imagined tyrade against the poor, bear in mind that the amount from that sum that actually goes to the poor is negligible.

As for aide money to Pakistan, I would like to see a little more effort on their part in the eradication of Pakistan located terrorist training camps first !

Dread - x
Old May 18th 2011, 10:06 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Personally I really don't care what percentage this equates to, I just object to taxpayers money being given in aid to a country, where the majority of it will go into politicians' and rich peoples' pockets ! I also object to this money on the basis that India's economy is bouyant, could afford to eradicate much of its' poverty, yet chooses not to in favour of corruption and capitalist selfisness.
The UK is on the point of financial crippledom and cannot afford these handouts.

And before you turn this into some imagined tyrade against the poor, bear in mind that the amount from that sum that actually goes to the poor is negligible.

As for aide money to Pakistan, I would like to see a little more effort on their part in the eradication of Pakistan located terrorist training camps first !

Although we have always helped our Goan local friends.

Dread - x
Dread I totally agree with everything you said. You and my purses are empty helping others. My family come first.

although we have always helped our local Goan friends - not like some Money bags,

we know, as you have said "fur coat no draws" -

Last edited by noni; May 18th 2011 at 10:11 am.
Old May 18th 2011, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dreadsoc

And before you turn this into some imagined tyrade against the poor, bear in mind that the amount from that sum that actually goes to the poor is negligible.As for aide money to Pakistan, I would like to see a little more effort on their part in the eradication of Pakistan located terrorist training camps first !

Dread - x
Why would I do that Dread when my post is more or less the same as yours regarding India and Pakistan.
UK is still one of the world's richest countries, I am proud that we can give something. and are not at the bottom of the list in aid-giving.
Old May 18th 2011, 7:24 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

, I am proud that we can give something. and are not at the bottom of the list in aid-giving.
I would be proud if we gave them nothing, if we told them to s*d off and spend their military and space programme budgets on their own poor.
I would be proud if we used this money for our own UK citizens benefit instead of constantly raising taxes to give to spendthrift foreigners.
I would be proud of spending £300 million on hospitals and other care facilities for British people in Britain.
I would be proud of anyone who didn't dismiss a figure of this magnitude as a pittance by using percentages of GDP.
I would be proud of a Conservative government that stopped kissing the @rses of a handful of demented Liberals with policies like this to stay in power.

Old May 18th 2011, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by johnny five
I would be proud if we gave them nothing, if we told them to s*d off and spend their military and space programme budgets on their own poor.
I would be proud if we used this money for our own UK citizens benefit instead of constantly raising taxes to give to spendthrift foreigners.
I would be proud of spending £300 million on hospitals and other care facilities for British people in Britain.
I would be proud of anyone who didn't dismiss a figure of this magnitude as a pittance by using percentages of GDP.
I would be proud of a Conservative government that stopped kissing the @rses of a handful of demented Liberals with policies like this to stay in power.

J5 if you read my post you will see that I agree about aid to India, and the worry about aid to Pakistan.
There are other countries to which we give aid. Also many people in UK are of a generous nature and think of others, look at the £millions given to 'chldren in need' projects and similar. Yes I am proud that UK has this characteristic and also ashamed that many in India (including some relatives) think of charity as a 'weakness'.
The aid programme was in place long before the coalition government came into being.
Old May 18th 2011, 8:48 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Also many people in UK are of a generous nature and think of others, look at the £millions given to 'chldren in need' projects and similar.
Individual choice, and one I exercise also. A big difference from compulsory massive donations extracted from our taxes.

The aid programme was in place long before the coalition government came into being.
And was equally ridiculous. The enshrining of a set % of GDP is the latest luvvy-duvvy loony liberal concession.
Old May 18th 2011, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnny five

I couldn't have put it any better - these are the thoughts of most of the British population I'm sure. I've yet to meet someone who would disagree with this.

I'm about to lose my job due to cuts in Education. But what worries me more is the abolition of the Young Peoples Service. They do a fantastic job getting young people back into education, employment or training.
Old May 18th 2011, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I couldn't have put it any better - these are the thoughts of most of the British population I'm sure. I've yet to meet someone who would disagree with this. I'm about to lose my job due to cuts in Education. But what worries me more is the abolition of the Young Peoples Service. They do a fantastic job getting young people back into education, employment or training.
Heidi, you haven't met my family then! I am sorry about your job, my son works (or did) for a career advisory service his job ends next week. He has a family and of course we hope he will accept our help when needed; but he doesn't feel worse off than many of those suffering and being helped by international aid.
Isn't the solution, as I said before, better controls on how the money is spent and on site supervision of the aid programmes.
After-thought: if UK cut all international aid tomorrow, would it help the overall economy?

Last edited by Bipat; May 18th 2011 at 10:25 pm.
Old May 18th 2011, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

Heidi, you haven't met my family then! I am sorry about your job, my son works (or did) for a career advisory service his job ends next week. He has a family and of course we hope he will accept our help when needed; but he doesn't feel worse off than many of those suffering and being helped by international aid.
Isn't the solution, as I said before, better controls on how the money is spent and on site supervision of the aid programmes.
After-thought: if UK cut all international aid tomorrow, would it help the overall economy?
I have no idea of the total paid out in international aid and I am sure that some of it does some good but the government, on our behalf are paying out billions if you take into account the packages of aid to Portugal Ireland and Greece. In the current situation this money could be much better spent in paying off some of the debts left by Labour so that the country can recover more quickly and some of these jobs might be saved. I do give to charity but it is my choice.
Old May 19th 2011, 9:32 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

J5 if you read my post you will see that I agree about aid to India, and the worry about aid to Pakistan.
There are other countries to which we give aid. Also many people in UK are of a generous nature and think of others, look at the £millions given to 'chldren in need' projects and similar. Yes I am proud that UK has this characteristic and also ashamed that many in India (including some relatives) think of charity as a 'weakness'.
The fact is that with Children in Need etc, it is my choice whether or not I give money. With the aid given out by the government, it is enforced upon me as a taxpayer, and furthermore I have absolutely no say on where it goes, nor do I get to choose which causes get help.
So when I see the actual meagre percentage of the percentage that actually reaches the poor, and then see the lavish lifestyles of those politicians and charity leaders who are living a lavish lifestyle on the back of that aid money, it makes my blood boil !

Dread - x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.