Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

In To-day's Newspapers

Old Apr 19th 2011, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
You comment with the word "statistically" - what statistics do you refer to and where did you get said statistics from?

Dread - x
The original post referred to 'foreigners' 'we pay for most of them'. Of course it depends what the poster meant by 'pay'; and what was meant by 'foreigners'. Of course schools and NHS are available to all but if 'benefits' the usual grouse on this forum are meant; Home Office statistics, and Office for National Statistics show that only a small percentage of 'immigrants' are on benefits. Of course the figures I have found are out of date and don't include the latest influx from Eastern Europe. However to say that 'most' foreigners are on benefits is obviously untrue. Those in work will be paying taxes.
Will be happy to discuss if you disagree, (most of my research was done earlier when the subject came up before, and I was specifically looking for Indian immigrant statistics) I hope to keep an open mind.

Last edited by Bipat; Apr 19th 2011 at 3:07 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msj5
Sorry Colchesterkeith but its your attitude that stinks in a first post. Why slander someone that you don`t even know!
Absolutely agree, I may not have agreed with part of Heidi's recent post but if ColchesterKeith had read past posts he would have known that Heidi has always a fair and open 'attitude'.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Heidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bipat
The original post referred to 'foreigners' 'we pay for most of them'. Of course it depends what the poster meant by 'pay'; and what was meant by 'foreigners'. Of course schools and NHS are available to all but if 'benefits' the usual grouse on this forum are meant; Home Office statistics, and Office for National Statistics show that only a small percentage of 'immigrants' are on benefits. Of course the figures I have found are out of date and don't include the latest influx from Eastern Europe. However to say that 'most' foreigners are on benefits is obviously untrue. Those in work will be paying taxes.
Will be happy to discuss if you disagree, (most of my research was done earlier when the subject came up before, and I was specifically looking for Indian immigrant statistics) I hope to keep an open mind.
To be fair, I don't do any research when it comes to statistics, so I base my opinions on what I see around me and on the news and what I see in work (I work in Further Education). So apologies if I offended anyone.

I do know, however, that lots of people overseas refer to our country as the 'nanny state'.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Heidigirl
To be fair, I don't do any research when it comes to statistics, so I base my opinions on what I see around me and on the news and what I see in work (I work in Further Education). So apologies if I offended anyone.

I do know, however, that lots of people overseas refer to our country as the 'nanny state'.
I don't think you offended anyone Heidi, I suppose we are all 'nannied' to some extent and when you think of countries ( USA, India etc ) without an NHS and welfare benefits and how the poor suffer we should be grateful.

What is needed are more sensible rules and particularly for incomers, but even the Daily Mail in a revelation stated 1 in 6 Eastern Europeans are now on benefits, obviously should be none, but it does mean 5 in 6 i.e. the majority are not claiming major benefits.
We are all influenced by what we see; the Romanian standing outside our now closed M&S still cannot pronounce 'Big Issue' after 2 years. Thats me being biased.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Heidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really niceHeidigirl is just really nice

Okay I'm putting a stop to this - this is not what the forum is intended for. There are some fantastic people who work hard on here to provide us with information, advice and help. I will not be drawn into this, it's not what people want to see.

Last edited by noni; Apr 20th 2011 at 3:35 am.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 12:33 am
Banned

colchesterkeith is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay I'm putting a stop to this - this is not what the forum is intended for. There are some fantastic people who work hard on here to provide us with information, advice and help. I will not be drawn into this, it's not what people want to see.
Listen Heidi, I read your post and I know exactly what you meant! How dare you tell me I have no rights to be here? If I want to come over to UK and live off your benefit system then I am more than entitled to. I’ve tried to get a job but can’t – is it my fault the UK is in recession?? So I will therefore do what I can to provide for my family but way of benefits. And you can cut out the innuendos, I object to being called a foreigner!
Old Apr 20th 2011, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

This would be so sad if it happens - I only hope it's paper talk.

Muslim fanatics plan to hijack the Royal Wedding by burning effigies of Prince William and Kate Middleton.
Extremists belonging to the group Muslims Against Crusades were behind the poppy-burning outrage on November 11 last year.
According to police, they have now vowed to turn the wedding celebrations into a 'nightmare'. They plan a 'forceful demonstration' with thousands of protesters set to burn the Union Flag, images of the Crown, and effigies of the bridal couple.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1K4D3zmoD
Old Apr 20th 2011, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This would be so sad if it happens - I only hope it's paper talk.

Muslim fanatics plan to hijack the Royal Wedding by burning effigies of Prince William and Kate Middleton.
Extremists belonging to the group Muslims Against Crusades were behind the poppy-burning outrage on November 11 last year.
According to police, they have now vowed to turn the wedding celebrations into a 'nightmare'. They plan a 'forceful demonstration' with thousands of protesters set to burn the Union Flag, images of the Crown, and effigies of the bridal couple.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1K4D3zmoD
Unfortunately they seem to be for real, see their website; a far-right extreemist group against any 'monarchy'. I wonder how they see the 'Kingdom' of Saudi Arabia?
Hope the police can prevent trouble.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:20 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
Unfortunately they seem to be for real, see their website; a far-right extreemist group against any 'monarchy'. I wonder how they see the 'Kingdom' of Saudi Arabia?
Hope the police can prevent trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav0F...e_gdata_player
The Royal Wedding
Old Apr 20th 2011, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Tina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by noni
rofl:
Old Apr 21st 2011, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

kernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by noni
now thats a better version by far...class
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 3:38 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

[B]Termites 'eat £130,000 in notes from Indian bank'[/

Police in India are investigating claims by bank staff that termites had ‘eaten’ more than £130,000 in rupee notes from a strong room in a State Bank of India branch.
Local officials initially sought to cover up the loss, but the disappearance of more than ten million rupees – known in India as a ‘crore’ – was discovered following the arrival of a new manager.

The notes had been kept in a ‘currency chest’ at the branch in Barabanki district, Uttar Pradesh, and officials were reported to be ‘horrified’ to have found most of them reduced to dust by termites when they inspected the contents.

Senior officials from the state headquarters and local detectives were called in to investigate the claims. Police officers, however, said they have not yet ruled out ‘foul play’ in the disappearance.

Geeta Tripathi of the State Bank of India said it did appear that the notes had been eaten by termites.

The amount missing could turn out to be significantly higher – each ‘currency chest’ usually contains up to 50 ‘Crores’ of rupees – more than £6 million

Sunil Dwivedi, the branch manager, said the branch had been infested with termites. “We have been trying our best to keep currency notes safe but the termite problem here is so enormous that it would be better to move the branch elsewhere,” he said.

"I am not sure where the termites came from, but as you can see this building is quite old. Anti-termite treatment is now underway."

thanks to Daily Telegraph.
#

Apr: Gulf News. Over the past 10 days, Dubai Police were called in at least five times to the Indian Passport and Visa Service centre as teething problems continue at the recently established centre, Gulf News has learnt… It was a nightmare to get my passport back, said Anna Sullica a British national who had submitted her passport to apply for a visa … The applicants include Indians who applied for renewal of passports and other services as well as citizens of other countries who applied for Indian visas… Their call centre has stopped answering calls, and their online tracking system is also non-operational … There is no system or process, and no-one knew where anything is, Tim Ricketts, a British national, who had applied for a visa, said…

www.goanvoice.org.uk

Last edited by noni; Apr 22nd 2011 at 3:41 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

willb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nice

India's economy is booming so why is the UK still sending millions of pounds in aid?

Good question. Why?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...#ixzz1KQA1WfSo
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 7:33 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willb
India's economy is booming so why is the UK still sending millions of pounds in aid?

Good question. Why?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...#ixzz1KQA1WfSo
Its a long article, but well worth reading right through, you will be amazed and horrified........

Old Apr 23rd 2011, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by johnny five
Its a long article, but well worth reading right through, you will be amazed and horrified........

Agree, very interesting article. Indian Gov. has said that they don't wan't the aid.
Obviously not used properly.
To put the £ amount into perspective though; read in the Guardian some time ago that UK looses £4.4 billion annually in shoplifting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.