Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

In To-day's Newspapers

Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Banyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

Originally Posted by noni
The Politicians are being paid by the 5 * hotels to mess around with the shack licenses. Why be so greedy - the shack boys need to make a living as well.
If this is the case, they are not being fair to their own working people or to their tourists, many who work hard all year expecting to go to Goa for a well earned rest; to sit on the beach by the water with food and drinks. This is not a lot to expect when one is going on holiday. Instead the shack boys and shack owners have no income and all the tourists have no facilities. What utter madness this is.

Sunglow.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sunglow
If this is the case, they are not being fair to their own working people or to their tourists, many who work hard all year expecting to go to Goa for a well earned rest; to sit on the beach by the water with food and drinks. This is not a lot to expect when one is going on holiday. Instead the shack boys and shack owners have no income and all the tourists have no facilities. What utter madness this is.

Sunglow.
The obvious concern illustrated on BE about Goa, the topics, the postings , the feeling with which everyone writes, is wonderful. The folks on here wear their hearts on their sleeves and it is all for Goa. The people of Goa must feel some shame at worst, and affinity at best. Soon Fns will know. Can the infuencers in Goa interpret the truth, or have they been so numbed by prosperity derived by drugs, paedophelia and environmental theft?
Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:08 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Sunglow.
Totally agree with the Sunglow - why penalise their own people.
The politicians are rolling in money, those involved in the tourist industry work their socks off.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

erinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really nice

Sunglow, I agree about the unfairness to the ordinary people but let's face it we have all lived here long enough to know that this is not a country where those in power see their responsibility as being to provide for the common good. If they did there would be at a mimumum the provision of clean, uncontaminated drinking water for the people ( a basic human right the world over ), there would be an attempt to clear up the garbage which is a health hazard, there would be efforts to provide a steady supply of electricity etc etc. ( I don't need to continue with the list of civic responsibilities that lie at the heart of any elected, democratic government.) It is clear to all that this attitude is sadly lacking here. If they are so uninterested in the welfare of their own people, then why should they give a stuff about tourists and foreigners, even if they do indeed bring in much needed revenue.

As for the people themselves, well they too have a responsibility in terms of who and how they elect their respresentatives and how they call them to account. . But this requires a level of awareness and accountability that in truth I see here as still needing further development. Perhaps this is a role that those Goans living overseas and participating in democracies such as the US and the UK could do well to foster and support in their own homeland through their influence and by speaking out.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:15 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by erinsgirl
Sunglow, I agree about the unfairness to the ordinary people but let's face it we have all lived here long enough to know that this is not a country where those in power see their responsibility as being to provide for the common good. If they did there would be at a mimumum the provision of clean, uncontaminated drinking water for the people ( a basic human right the world over ), there would be an attempt to clear up the garbage which is a health hazard, there would be efforts to provide a steady supply of electricity etc etc. ( I don't need to continue with the list of civic responsibilities that lie at the heart of any elected, democratic government.) It is clear to all that this attitude is sadly lacking here. If they are so uninterested in the welfare of their own people, then why should they give a stuff about tourists and foreigners, even if they do indeed bring in much needed revenue.

As for the people themselves, well they too have a responsibility in terms of who and how they elect their respresentatives and how they call them to account. . But this requires a level of awareness and accountability that in truth I see here as still needing further development. Perhaps this is a role that those Goans living overseas and participating in democracies such as the US and the UK could do well to foster and support in their own homeland through their influence and by speaking out.
Another one of my gripes is that we all have to fill in the Swine flu paper as we enter Goa - when will they learn that their terrible filthy habit of spitting everywhere is the main cause of infections being passed around, also urinating in the road. The smell on the waste land by Newton is terrible, you see all the taxi drivers going in there for a wee. They are disgusting habits and common sense should prevail.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Vagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really nice

Another one of my gripes is that we all have to fill in the Swine flu paper as we enter Goa - when will they learn that their terrible filthy habit of spitting everywhere is the main cause of infections being passed around, also urinating in the road. The smell on the waste land by Newton is terrible, you see all the taxi drivers going in there for a wee. They are disgusting habits and common sense should prevail.
Come on Noni, this is Goa we are talking about here
Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Banyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by erinsgirl

Hi All,

Erinsqirl: I agree with all you have said. It is the Goans living overseas that need to speak out.

It is the same year in year out as far as the shacks not being allowed to open up in time for the start of the season. Talk about shooting their own tourist trade in the foot is not in it.

All the British arriving from Manchester on the 3rd November and also the West Midlands flight a few days later are going to be deeply disappointed with having no beach facilities. Who in the right mind would ever want return to Goa for a well earned holiday when there is no where to relax on the beach? The British tourists do not all want to sit round hotel pools, that is if they have one. Some tourists could be staying in guest houses where they have no where to sit outside and it is these holiday makers that I feel the most sorry for.

In the past the police have nabbed and fined locals for breaking the law such as smoking in the bus stations when they come down on them hard and fast on them. Yet other more important issues that can cause illness and infections such as fly tipping rubbish and p*****g in the street the police seem to turn a Nelson's eye. They should provide clean public toilets for them to use but as Erinsgirl has said, they are lacking in responsibility and do not give a stuff. Very sad!

Sunglow.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Vagatorian
Come on Noni, this is Goa we are talking about here
Yes Vagatorian I agree with you, but why all the fuss about swine flu when they spread all their germs willy nilly around the place.

Do you live in Vagator - if so please go to the beach and remove all the broken bottles and needles.

Love that beach hate the grot.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Yes Vagatorian I agree with you, but why all the fuss about swine flu when they spread all their germs willy nilly around the place.

Do you live in Vagator - if so please go to the beach and remove all the broken bottles and needles.

Love that beach hate the grot.

It is a joke re the screening for the swine flu. What when all the locals are spitting and urinating all over the place.

Something needs to be done about the taxi drivers using the side of Newton's Supermarket as a toilet. It was absolutely stinking last season. You would think the store manger would do something about it as it must be putting customer off going in their store. It would only take the police to catch one or two of them while they are in the act, they could then give them a stiff warning, word would soon get round.

No, I do not live in Vagator. However, I have recently seen used needles in the sand on the beach behind shacks in both Baga and Candolm. So any readers please be aware that it is good practice to wear sandals or flip flops and not walk about barefoot.

Sunglow.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:15 pm

[Tourism hara-kiri
Geoffrey Pond UK/Goa
I cannot believe that an intrinsic part of the Goan torurism scene like the beach shacks is being tampered with and delayed. I have 4 friends arriving in Goa on Sunday and this is their first visit to Goa. I have sold them the idea of a relaxed holiday on the beach, good food, good company and good times. Sadly, that will not be the case now. Not only did they have a tough time in obtaining a visa in the UK but now they will essentially be stuck at their hotel, which is something they did not want in the first place. I am now in the embarassing position of having to explain why.
Not only is this situation a disgrace for visiting tourists but also for the local shack owners who we have grown to know and love. What about their incomes and families? The damage these tactics are causing will be irreparable to what is already likely to be a poor tourist season for Goa. When is somebody going to wake up to the realisation the Goan tourist industry is slowly commititng suicide ?
At the time of writing there are charter flights available from the UK leaving next week for a 2 week return package for £264 including taxes. I have never seen flights so cheap, it’s absolute madness

thanks to www.goanvoice.org.uk. in herald.

Pity they could not get Visa's!!

Last edited by noni; Oct 30th 2009 at 10:04 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

Times of India.... Russians dont need visa's to visit Goa...... one big joke after another...
Old Oct 31st 2009, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by poppetjay
Times of India.... Russians dont need visa's to visit Goa...... one big joke after another...

What have the Russians got that us Brits haven't?

Sunglow.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

What have the Russians got that us Brits haven't?

Sunglow.
a guess : their mule like capacities
Old Oct 31st 2009, 4:50 am

It is a joke re the screening for the swine flu. What when all the locals are spitting and urinating all over the place.

Something needs to be done about the taxi drivers using the side of Newton's Supermarket as a toilet. It was absolutely stinking last season. You would think the store manger would do something about it as it must be putting customer off going in their store. It would only take the police to catch one or two of them while they are in the act, they could then give them a stiff warning, word would soon get round.

No, I do not live in Vagator. However, I have recently seen used needles in the sand on the beach behind shacks in both Baga and Candolm. So any readers please be aware that it is good practice to wear sandals or flip flops and not walk about barefoot.

Sunglow.
Well they can't blame the British Charter FN's as they are only
just arriving.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 5:38 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-Darling.html

Nothing to do with the environment says Darling

It's to bail out the Bankers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is not what I would call them and their huge bonus's:curse::curse:
they would not be sitting in peasant class like the rest of us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.