Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Carte Vitale vs S1

Carte Vitale vs S1

Old Sep 7th 2015, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carte Vitale vs S1

Thanks for clarifying that ET.
I did say that being in another EU state gave different entitlements, but perhaps not clear enough.
It is an interesting question though.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

Originally Posted by JWL
So, is it S1 AND Carte Vitale or...? Aren't there any BEers with 100% experience of this and definitive answer?

dmu, that's what I would think also, but still would like to be absolutely sure from others with actual experience of this.
Yes. OH started to receive his UK state pension 4 years ago. DWP sent 2 copies of the S1 form which were taken to the relevant CPAM office (keep a copy!). After a few weeks, the application form for the photo carte vitale arrived, was duly completed and the carte vitale arrived a few weeks later.

You will need to provide all relevant supporting documentation if it is your first registration at CPAM, i.e. birth certificate (may need to be translated), proof of address, etc. Your best bet to find out what the up-to-date requirements are, is to call into your relevant CPAM office and ask. That way you can collect all of the required documents and have translations done where needed.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Frenchie51 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I can only speak on my personnel experience, but may be it will help. We retired to France in Oct 2014 . As I was 63 and my Wife 60 we were not able to benefit from free healthcare so I applied for a Carte Vitale. After 7 months of correspondence my Carte Vitale arrived It covers myself and my Wife and I pay about 2100 euros a year. This pays appox 70% of healthcare and we have insurance to cover the rest. When I reach UK retirement age the 2100 euros a year payment will end. I hope this helps.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 7:56 pm
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frenchie51
Hi, I can only speak on my personnel experience, but may be it will help. We retired to France in Oct 2014 . As I was 63 and my Wife 60 we were not able to benefit from free healthcare so I applied for a Carte Vitale. After 7 months of correspondence my Carte Vitale arrived It covers myself and my Wife and I pay about 2100 euros a year. This pays appox 70% of healthcare and we have insurance to cover the rest. When I reach UK retirement age the 2100 euros a year payment will end. I hope this helps.
That's interesting, thanks, but can I ask...

1. Did you have private cover while waiting for France healthcare to kick in and how much was that?
2. Did you have to have compulsory private insurance before or ASAP upon arrival in France, or was it down to free choice?
Old Sep 18th 2015, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Hi,when we arrived in France we had no health insurance, but although it took 7 months to obtain our Carte Vitale we were covered by the French health system from the day we first made our application. Their is a section of CPAM that deals with all UK applications, they are called "plateforme anglaise", tel no: 0811363646. They all speak English and were most helpful.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frenchie51
Hi,when we arrived in France we had no health insurance, but although it took 7 months to obtain our Carte Vitale we were covered by the French health system from the day we first made our application.
Did you have an S1 though, Frenchie? If you have an S1, acceptance is automatic and you'll be given a social security number and an attestation of rights as soon as CPAM has your S1 and proof of ID. It doesn't matter whether you have a carte vitale or not, the important thing is the attestation. On the other hand, if you apply to join the health system direct via contributions, you won't be given a social security number or an attestation until your application has been considered and accepted.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Hi, as we were not planning to work in France and were not of pensionable age we did not have an S1. Re joining the French health system via contributions we were covered from the day we first made our application. It just took 7 months to sort out all the paperwork and how much we would pay.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

That's unusual these days because as of a couple of years ago, all applications to join CMU are sent to a central office for processing. I'm surprised that a local CPAM is able to open your rights before the central office has made the decision as to whether you're eligible or not. Although assuming you're accepted, they may backdate your rights to the date you applied so you can claim back what you've already spent.

I see you posted this thread in December 2014 http://britishexpats.com/forum/franc...n-help-848890/ saying you'd been to CPAM and were waiting for news, and asking how to get medication whilst waiting for the decision. So maybe there was a short delay, or you wouldn't have been asking the question?
Old Sep 21st 2015, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

It was only when I rang the CPAM (central office,not our local one), halfway through our application process,that I was informed that we had been covered from the date of our original application. We had to submit details of our previous years income so they could decide what they would charge us.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 7:23 pm
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

This surely must be the single most complicated, frustrating and unresolvable (until each individual actually gets there.) topic ever on BE. What a nightmare....
Old Sep 21st 2015, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Without doubt. most of the information we sent had to be sent 3 times. Every time we received a letter it was from a different person and none of them seemed to communicate with each other even though they were in the same department.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 6:32 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWL
This surely must be the single most complicated, frustrating and unresolvable (until each individual actually gets there.) topic ever on BE. What a nightmare....
Hopefully your personal nightmare will soon be over, when "Newcastle" has replied to your letter and you'll know whether you're entitled to an S1.
If the answer is negative, then at least you're fore-warned with regard to French healthcare coverage and will be fore-armed to cope with the French nightmare when you're here
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought JWL. Make very sure that you are addressing the right department in Newcastle and that they are giving you the answer for YOUR circumstances and not theirs. (How you establish that it is the right department is a whole new story).

So you need to establish just who the competent department is. As I understand it, S1s for people of working age or otherwise paying a stamp are paid for by HMRC, but S1s for people who are of pensionable age or otherwise in receipt of a government "benefit" are paid for by DWP. The second you change from the first to the second, it is the DWP who are responsible for the T&Cs, no matter what HMRC may have told you.

The issue I found is that HMRC operate off a tax year and DWP off a calendar year (roughly). It cost me six months private cover. But there may be other complications.

Just make sure you have every thing in writing, and that if you are on the phone, write down who you are talking to and which department they are with. They have a universal switchboard in Newcastle and you can wind up talking to HMRC, DWP, NHS, Overseas Healthcare, or Overseas assets. There may be more. They generally assume you know who you are talking to, but often don't tell you unless asked.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 11:42 am
JWL
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Hopefully your personal nightmare will soon be over, when "Newcastle" has replied to your letter and you'll know whether you're entitled to an S1. If the answer is negative, then at least you're fore-warned with regard to French healthcare coverage and will be fore-armed to cope with the French nightmare when you're here
Yeah, but to be honest, I won't absolutely trust what they say. Someone could be saying whatever on whatever day, and on a different day it will be something else by someone else...I see it rather as just a temporary guide to what might be (but so's betting on the 2.30 at Doncaster at 50-1..)

Last edited by JWL; Sep 22nd 2015 at 11:45 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JWL
Yeah, but to be honest, I won't absolutely trust what they say. Someone could be saying whatever on whatever day, and on a different day it will be something else by someone else...I see it rather as just a temporary guide to what might be (but so's betting on the 2.30 at Doncaster at 50-1..)
Absolutely the right way to treat it. I have been given different information so often I always wrote it down and repeated it in the next converation. It felt like half the time I was told that the previous answer had ben wrong.
They do not deliberately misinform people. They answer the question they think you are asking, as it relates to their own fields.

To be fair, they generally deal with people in quite specific sets of circumstances. It is when they are dealing with people who sit outside that that problems arise. Especially as circumstances vary so widely, and we ourselves often have an imperfect understanding of what we are asking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.