Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Carte Vitale vs S1

Carte Vitale vs S1

Old Sep 5th 2015, 12:08 pm
  #1  
JWL
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 298
JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Carte Vitale vs S1

Are the S1 and carte vitale mutually exclusive and in fact 'different streams' of health care provision? I thought S1 led to carte vitale, but...

I've just heard this info from a friend and would appreciate if someone could clarify..

Let's assume UK pensioner with full pension goes to France:

A) With S1, so doesn't qualify for a carte vitale. So must pay full medical fees up front and submit to UK (I think I got that bit right) who will reimburse.

B) Same pensioner (or just before) gets carte vitale (maybe via AE route), so only pays the basic visit fee or whatever, plus a mutuelle top-up. Doesn't need an S1 and France covers the costs.

Is this basically correct?
JWL is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2015, 12:53 pm
  #2  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Location: Le Rove
Posts: 2
Dante65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Carte Vitale vs S1

How do you get a carte vitale? I'm European, British so I'm told I don't have to register as resident here. I'm not married to a French man, I'm not a property owner in France, I don't have a contract of work, I'm over the age of 40. How do I get a doctor here and how can I get the carte vitale?
Dante65 is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2015, 1:06 pm
  #3  
JWL
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 298
JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carte Vitale vs S1

Um...don't want to seem selfish, but get yer own thread...!
JWL is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2015, 1:09 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Location: Le Rove
Posts: 2
Dante65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Carte Vitale vs S1

Oh I'm sorry how do I get a thread? I'm totally new to this so I have no idea what I'm doing. I didn't mean to cause offence. Excuse me
Dante65 is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2015, 1:11 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 331
Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carte Vitale vs S1

Originally Posted by Dante65 View Post
How do you get a carte vitale? I'm European, British so I'm told I don't have to register as resident here. I'm not married to a French man, I'm not a property owner in France, I don't have a contract of work, I'm over the age of 40. How do I get a doctor here and how can I get the carte vitale?
You can't.

You just pay your way. 23 Euros for a doctors appointment. It is not bad value to be fair and you can in most cases get one within 48 hrs. Not two months like the UK.
Touraine is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2015, 1:46 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Tweedpipe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Halfway between Ricard & Absynthe
Posts: 4,184
Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carte Vitale vs S1

Originally Posted by Dante65 View Post
Oh I'm sorry how do I get a thread? I'm totally new to this so I have no idea what I'm doing. I didn't mean to cause offence. Excuse me
Welcome to the forum.
We all make a few mistakes sometimes, not to worry. But for the record: On many forums, the general etiquette is to make a first post on the 'Introductory' thread, or open a new thread. Otherwise coming in directly on the thread of someone else, is akin to barging in to a private room or conversation without being invited.
To open a new thread, when on the Europe/France forum, you simply click on the 'New Thread' box, give it a title, and off you go.
Attached Thumbnails Carte Vitale vs S1-create-new-thread.jpg  
Tweedpipe is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2015, 2:22 pm
  #7  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,743
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carte Vitale vs S1

Originally Posted by Dante65 View Post
How do you get a carte vitale? I'm European, British so I'm told I don't have to register as resident here. I'm not married to a French man, I'm not a property owner in France, I don't have a contract of work, I'm over the age of 40. How do I get a doctor here and how can I get the carte vitale?
Hi, your situation is different from JWL's. You must take out private health insurance if you aren't working or aren't in receipt of a UK State Pension. I believe it's compulsory to have healthcare coverage, either by being in the French System via work, Pension or "dependency", or having private insurance. The "inactifs" members of the forum can recommend a few companies.
Any one can visit a Doctor and pay his/her fee and subsequent treatment - reimbursement depends on how you're insured.
dmu is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2015, 2:38 pm
  #8  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,743
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carte Vitale vs S1

Originally Posted by JWL View Post
Are the S1 and carte vitale mutually exclusive and in fact 'different streams' of health care provision? I thought S1 led to carte vitale, but...

I've just heard this info from a friend and would appreciate if someone could clarify..

Let's assume UK pensioner with full pension goes to France:

A) With S1, so doesn't qualify for a carte vitale. So must pay full medical fees up front and submit to UK (I think I got that bit right) who will reimburse.

B) Same pensioner (or just before) gets carte vitale (maybe via AE route), so only pays the basic visit fee or whatever, plus a mutuelle top-up. Doesn't need an S1 and France covers the costs.

Is this basically correct?
I stand to be corrected, but surely the S1 qualifies a Pensioner for a Carte Vitale, and he/she is treated like a French person and the reimbursement is transferred to their (French) bank account? No need to become an AE and pay the côtisations....
And the Mutuelle top-up would be advisable however the Carte Vitale is obtained, as Retirees tend to consult more often, and several sessions of physio, for example, or all the various examinations, would otherwise take a big chunk out of their income. Unless the Doctor has declared an ailment to be 100% reimbursable, the Carte Vitale only reimburses up to 70% of the bills, which is why most French people take out a Mutuelle to reimburse the other 30%.
dmu is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2015, 4:31 pm
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
bigglesworth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: The Charente - still smiling.
Posts: 2,624
bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carte Vitale vs S1

Originally Posted by dmu View Post
Hi, your situation is different from JWL's. You must take out private health insurance if you aren't working or aren't in receipt of a UK State Pension. I believe it's compulsory to have healthcare coverage, either by being in the French System via work, Pension or "dependency", or having private insurance. The "inactifs" members of the forum can recommend a few companies.
Any one can visit a Doctor and pay his/her fee and subsequent treatment - reimbursement depends on how you're insured.
dante, I do not mean to pry, but we need to know a little more about your circumstances. You could be co habiting with someone in receipt of health cover, also how long have you lived in France? Have you ever worked in France? Etc etc. Then we might be better placed to advise
bigglesworth is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2015, 4:32 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
bigglesworth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: The Charente - still smiling.
Posts: 2,624
bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carte Vitale vs S1

Originally Posted by dmu View Post
I stand to be corrected, but surely the S1 qualifies a Pensioner for a Carte Vitale, and he/she is treated like a French person and the reimbursement is transferred to their (French) bank account? No need to become an AE and pay the côtisations....
And the Mutuelle top-up would be advisable however the Carte Vitale is obtained, as Retirees tend to consult more often, and several sessions of physio, for example, or all the various examinations, would otherwise take a big chunk out of their income. Unless the Doctor has declared an ailment to be 100% reimbursable, the Carte Vitale only reimburses up to 70% of the bills, which is why most French people take out a Mutuelle to reimburse the other 30%.
That is belief too.
BTW dmu apologies for refernecing your reply to dante - simple click error!
bigglesworth is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2015, 10:15 pm
  #11  
JWL
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 298
JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carte Vitale vs S1

So, is it S1 AND Carte Vitale or...? Aren't there any BEers with 100% experience of this and definitive answer?

dmu, that's what I would think also, but still would like to be absolutely sure from others with actual experience of this.
JWL is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2015, 7:10 am
  #12  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,743
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carte Vitale vs S1

Originally Posted by JWL View Post
So, is it S1 AND Carte Vitale or...? Aren't there any BEers with 100% experience of this and definitive answer?

dmu, that's what I would think also, but still would like to be absolutely sure from others with actual experience of this.
If no one on the forum can reply from experience (I was replying from what I've learnt on the forum), then ring the number in the link below in order to be absolutely sure.
Moving abroad - Healthcare abroad - NHS Choices
dmu is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2015, 9:02 am
  #13  
JWL
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 298
JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carte Vitale vs S1

Originally Posted by dmu View Post
If no one on the forum can reply from experience (I was replying from what I've learnt on the forum), then ring the number in the link below in order to be absolutely sure.
Moving abroad - Healthcare abroad - NHS Choices

Thanks dmu, that's a useful site, but there are so many variables in this health cover topic compounded by France vs UK authorities' knowledge of each others' system. I was hoping for direct experience of BEers.

Don't you all/mostly have Carte Vitale and or S1? I'm surprised it seems to be harder than I thought to get real first-hand experience on this.
JWL is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2015, 9:30 am
  #14  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,743
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carte Vitale vs S1

Originally Posted by JWL View Post
Thanks dmu, that's a useful site, but there are so many variables in this health cover topic compounded by France vs UK authorities' knowledge of each others' system. I was hoping for direct experience of BEers.

Don't you all/mostly have Carte Vitale and or S1? I'm surprised it seems to be harder than I thought to get real first-hand experience on this.
There have been many enquiries from potential retiree expats, and they've always been given the same advice about obtaining the S1 to present to their local CPAM when they arrive with a view to obtaining the Carte Vitale, but, to my knowledge, none of them have given any feedback!
I personally obtained mine last century when it was created, by dint of working here, and can't advise further....
dmu is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2015, 10:04 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
bigglesworth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: The Charente - still smiling.
Posts: 2,624
bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carte Vitale vs S1

JWl I think part of the problem may be that the rules have changed since most of us got our S1s or Cartes Vitales, and we are not necessarily entirely sure now.
I came here with a Workers S1, because I was still working a couple of days a month in the UK and paying NI. This was renewed every year until I stopped working in 2013. I should then have been entitled to a further two years coverage, due to my NI record in the previous three years.
This last no longer exists. Early retirees must pay for their own private cover until..
THEY REACH S.P.A.
When they reach S.P.A. they then receive an S1 from Newcastle which you present to CPAM, and they then will issue you with a Carte Vitale. It may take a while, but it does magically appear in the letterbox.I believe that in practice, your health cover in France then commences from the date of your S.P.A.
You can of course still continue to work in the UK, and receive a workers' S1, but I would have thought that would unnecessarily complicate the issue. Probably better to present your pension notes from Newcastle to CPAM.
If your spouse reaches S.P.A. before you do, s/he will receive a Carte Vitale in the same way, and the other half can piggy back on that.

I think that is correct and hope it helps
bigglesworth is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.