Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Carte Vitale vs S1

Carte Vitale vs S1

Old Sep 6th 2015, 10:01 am
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carte Vitale vs S1

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
JWl I think part of the problem may be that the rules have changed since most of us got our S1s or Cartes Vitales, and we are not necessarily entirely sure now.
I came here with a Workers S1, because I was still working a couple of days a month in the UK and paying NI. This was renewed every year until I stopped working in 2013. I should then have been entitled to a further two years coverage, due to my NI record in the previous three years.
This last no longer exists. Early retirees must pay for their own private cover until..
THEY REACH S.P.A.
When they reach S.P.A. they then receive an S1 from Newcastle which you present to CPAM, and they then will issue you with a Carte Vitale. It may take a while, but it does magically appear in the letterbox.I believe that in practice, your health cover in France then commences from the date of your S.P.A.
You can of course still continue to work in the UK, and receive a workers' S1, but I would have thought that would unnecessarily complicate the issue. Probably better to present your pension notes from Newcastle to CPAM.
If your spouse reaches S.P.A. before you do, s/he will receive a Carte Vitale in the same way, and the other half can piggy back on that.

I think that is correct and hope it helps

Understood about your situations before the changes.

A good explanation, thanks!
Old Sep 6th 2015, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

If it makes things clearer I became the proud recipient of a UK state pension shortly after we came to live here parmanently 13 years ago. With my S1 from Newcastle I applied to the local CPAM and very quickly received a carte vitale for both myself and my husband (who wasn't due his state pension for a further 4 years)

Absolutely no problems and especially satisfying as my state pension at that time amounted to the magnificent sum of 52p per week!
Old Sep 6th 2015, 3:52 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grannybunz

Absolutely no problems and especially satisfying as my state pension at that time amounted to the magnificent sum of 52p per week!
With that you could almost buy half a Mars bar
Old Sep 6th 2015, 7:20 pm
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grannybunz
If it makes things clearer I became the proud recipient of a UK state pension shortly after we came to live here parmanently 13 years ago. With my S1 from Newcastle I applied to the local CPAM and very quickly received a carte vitale for both myself and my husband (who wasn't due his state pension for a further 4 years)

So you're saying they gave you the S1 because they felt sorry for you..?

But you answered my question (do you get S1 AND Carte Vitale, or S1 and NO Carte Vitale), thanks.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 7:23 pm
JWL
Forum Regular

I'm posting a letter to UK to try to get a firm answer on S1 entitlement. I have 2 possible addresses. Any hints on which one is best/correct?

International Pension Service
The Pension Service 9
Mail Handling Site A
Wolverhampton
WV98 1LU

Or...

Overseas Healthcare Team
Room MO601, Durham House
Washington
Tyne & Wear, NE38 7SF
Old Sep 6th 2015, 8:16 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWL
I'm posting a letter to UK to try to get a firm answer on S1 entitlement. I have 2 possible addresses. Any hints on which one is best/correct?

International Pension Service
The Pension Service 9
Mail Handling Site A
Wolverhampton
WV98 1LU

Or...

Overseas Healthcare Team
Room MO601, Durham House
Washington
Tyne & Wear, NE38 7SF
Both BW and GB mentioned Newcastle, therefore the Tyne & Wear address should be the one.
It sounds as though you aren't in the UK? otherwise you'd have rung them....
Old Sep 6th 2015, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I think the OP may be confusing an S1 with an EHIC?
The instructions you get with your S1 tell you to take it to CPAM. When you do, CPAM issue you with an attestation de droits. Your carte vitale follows in due course. Until the carte vitale arrives you may have to pay in advance and apply for refunds. But eventually you will get your carte vitale, and then you no longer need to do this.
I don't really understand the confusion but hope this helps.
The S1 is simply a form that confirms to the French authorities that the UK is that person's competent state, it will refund France for healthcare costs, so it's safe for CPAM to register them, give them a sécu number and a carte vitale.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 6:03 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I think the OP may be confusing an S1 with an EHIC?
I think you're right. A) in the OP's first post corresponds to the EHIC and he's got a clear answer for the S1.
The thought occurred to me that if the OP isn't in the UK, has he been contributing into the NHS during his absence? As far as I understand, this is a factor when they decide whether you're entitled to an S1 or not.
Hopefully the OP will keep us updated, as it will be of interest to future retiree expats coming from the UK....
Old Sep 7th 2015, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe what was confusing the OP is that he's been told that if your healthcare in France comes via an S1, it's the UK that pays the costs.
It is, but that doesn't mean you have to reclaim the costs yourself. It's all done seamlessly - France pays initially, and presumably once a year they submit a humungous bill to the UK for all the patching up of Brit pensioners that year.

But S1 versus Carte Vitale is a non sequitur. if the the OP thinks you can go to the doctor with an S1, he's definitely confused. The S1 does not entitle you to healthcare. The S1 is simply an administrative form from DWP to CPAM that says "This person is our responsibilty, and we will refund you with whatever they cost to maintain." On that basis CPAM accept you into the health service and give you an attestation/carte vital with your sécu number on it, which is what care providers need. But if you keep your S1 and never take it to CPAM and get registered, it's no use at all. Giving your S1 to a doctor would be about as useful as showing him your bank statement.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWL
So you're saying they gave you the S1 because they felt sorry for you..?

But you answered my question (do you get S1 AND Carte Vitale, or S1 and NO Carte Vitale), thanks.
Possibly but the point is you don't have to have have a full pension to get your SI, which is the way in to your carte vital.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 9:45 am
JWL
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
I think you're right. A) in the OP's first post corresponds to the EHIC and he's got a clear answer for the S1.
The thought occurred to me that if the OP isn't in the UK, has he been contributing into the NHS during his absence? As far as I understand, this is a factor when they decide whether you're entitled to an S1 or not.
Hopefully the OP will keep us updated, as it will be of interest to future retiree expats coming from the UK....
No. How could that be the case? Outside the UK for 20-odd years. Only kept up NI payments over this time.

I have seen this point about NHS somewhere, but since NHS is funded all or mostly from taxation (i.e. of residents) wouldn't this mean that nobody would be entitled to an S1 when moving abroad (bar those who continue to pay UK taxes for some reason or other)?
Old Sep 7th 2015, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWL
No. How could that be the case? Outside the UK for 20-odd years. Only kept up NI payments over this time.

I have seen this point about NHS somewhere, but since NHS is funded all or mostly from taxation (i.e. of residents) wouldn't this mean that nobody would be entitled to an S1 when moving abroad (bar those who continue to pay UK taxes for some reason or other)?
JWL I think you are getting into technical aspects of Government funding that may be more than we mere laypeople can answer.
FWIW, I believe the fact that the NHS is funded from taxation is completely unrelated to entitlement to healthcare. This derives from NI contributions I believe, (which can be from an individual or from HMG). I think therefore, although as I say this is technical, that if you have continued to pay NI contibutions whilst abroad, you should be entiltled to NHS cover. Of course if you moved back to the UK that would be axiomatic.
(I assume that your period abroad has been spent outside the EU. Were you in another European health sytem you would have a wholly different set of entitlements)
As you intend to move back to France, the question then is whether that entitlement within the UK extends overseas, so that HMG will pay other European countries for your healthcare.
I myself cannot see why they should not. You would then be a EU national (and resident) in receipt of an EU State Pension like anyone else.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 10:29 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JWL

Sorry, maybe I should have said NI contributions...
Old Sep 7th 2015, 11:09 am
JWL
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Sorry, maybe I should have said NI contributions...

No problem. I really appreciate yours and everyone's input on this minefield topic.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
I myself cannot see why they should not. You would then be a EU national (and resident) in receipt of an EU State Pension like anyone else.
Hmm.
Not everybody who gets a UK state pension gets an S1 from the UK.
Eg I lived and worked in the UK until I was late forties.
Then I moved to France and have been working in France.
When I retire, I'll get a UK state pension because I've paid in.
But I won't get an S1, because the UK was not the last country in which I worked.
Usually, your healthcover in retirement is funded by the EU state where you were contributing immediately before retirement.
If you were working outside the EU I don't know how it works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.