Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Carte Vitale vs S1

Carte Vitale vs S1

Old Oct 19th 2015, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

nzneville is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carte Vitale vs S1

Hi JWL. Did you get a definitive solution? Sorry, I have been offline for some weeks, too busy with other things.
However, my wife and I have recently moved to France. We are both UK state pensioners. We had a very good experience. We moved from New Zealand and were advised by telephone that, four weeks before arriving here, we telephone the UK office that issues S1 forms and that they would be in our post box before we arrived. Yes, they were and we took them (two copies) to our CPAM office, along with copies of birth and marriage certificates. About four weeks later, we received advice from CPAM that we were in the system, from the date of arrival (not when we applied) and to get passport photos and take them into the CPAM office. Three weeks later, our Cartes Vitales arrived. Meanwhile, as soon as the CPAM advice arrived, we were able to apply to UK for the EHICs. As we arrived here on different dates, my wife has her EHIC and I am waiting for mine. We also took out Mutuelle insurance to cover the excess costs of healthcare, as far as our Mutuelle would cover. We have only been here for four months but my wife has had excellent healthcare for some issues that she has had, whilst I have just received hearing aids of which part has been funded by Carte Vitale and part by Mutuelle.

We did most of our UK application work by phone. We had lived outside UK for many years, but having paid NI for some time and were receiving UK pensions, albeit frozen at 65 until we arrived here, we thought that hte process was extemely simple and straightforward.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 4:55 pm
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

My first letter went to the wrong office, so I had to re-send just a few weeks back.

I will definitely post here when I get an answer.

But your experience sounds encouraging.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 8:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nzneville
Hi JWL. Did you get a definitive solution? Sorry, I have been offline for some weeks, too busy with other things.
However, my wife and I have recently moved to France. We are both UK state pensioners. We had a very good experience. We moved from New Zealand and were advised by telephone that, four weeks before arriving here, we telephone the UK office that issues S1 forms and that they would be in our post box before we arrived. Yes, they were and we took them (two copies) to our CPAM office, along with copies of birth and marriage certificates. About four weeks later, we received advice from CPAM that we were in the system, from the date of arrival (not when we applied) and to get passport photos and take them into the CPAM office. Three weeks later, our Cartes Vitales arrived. Meanwhile, as soon as the §CPAM advice arrived, we were able to apply to UK for the EHICs. As we arrived here on different dates, my wife has her EHIC and I am waiting for mine. We also took out Mutuelle insurance to cover the excess costs of healthcare, as far as our Mutuelle would cover. We have only been here for four months but my wife has had excellent healthcare for some issues that she has had, whilst I have just received hearing aids of which part has been funded by Carte Vitale and part by Mutuelle.

We did most of our UK application work by phone. We had lived outside UK for many years, but having paid NI for some time and were receiving UK pensions, albeit frozen at 65 until we arrived here, we thought that hte process was extemely simple and straightforward.
This is exactly how it's supposed to work.

Well done.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 1:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by nzneville
However, my wife and I have recently moved to France. We are both UK state pensioners. We had a very good experience. We moved from New Zealand and were advised by telephone that, four weeks before arriving here, we telephone the UK office that issues S1 forms and that they would be in our post box before we arrived. Yes, they were and we took them (two copies) to our CPAM office, along with copies of birth and marriage certificates. About four weeks later, we received advice from CPAM that we were in the system, from the date of arrival (not when we applied) and to get passport photos and take them into the CPAM office. Three weeks later, our Cartes Vitales arrived. Meanwhile, as soon as the CPAM advice arrived, we were able to apply to UK for the EHICs. As we arrived here on different dates, my wife has her EHIC and I am waiting for mine. We also took out Mutuelle insurance to cover the excess costs of healthcare, as far as our Mutuelle would cover. We have only been here for four months but my wife has had excellent healthcare for some issues that she has had, whilst I have just received hearing aids of which part has been funded by Carte Vitale and part by Mutuelle.

Lovely to read that things are falling into place for you NZNeville.
Hope you enjoy your time in France.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 8:53 am
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

Update on my original post. Received this reply from

Overseas Healthcare Team
Durham House
Washington
Tyne & Wear, NE38 7SF

If/when you have entitlement to a UK state pension this will entitle you to apply for Form S1 while residing in another EEA country. Once you are in receipt of your UK state pension and have moved to France you should contact the International Pension Centre (IPC) on 0191 218 7777 to request a form.

Remember that I'm British, but lived outside EU for over 20 years, aiming to move to France as soon as possible.

Hope this helps anyone else in the same situation.