Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Old Jan 21st 2015, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Originally Posted by Banjoboy
If the UK government had said "we'll axe the WFP for all ex-pats" then that's fine. My issue is the way in which they intend to apply the policy and as such UK citizens in France are clearly being treated in a discriminatory way. If you're an expat in Italy you get it, if you're in France you don't. How bonkers is that?
Well as those of us who DO live permanently in France don't have an issue with it, I really do not see what concern it is of yours.
The benefits bill has run completely out of control in recent years, and a line has to be drawn somewhere.
If I feel I am being discriminated against, I am perfectly capable of making that argument myself.
I would add that here on the France forum we are a pretty friendly bunch. We tend not to have arguments, and prefer to "agree to disagree".
I commend it to you.

Last edited by bigglesworth; Jan 21st 2015 at 10:59 am. Reason: Add para
Old Jan 21st 2015, 10:58 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

If the system were fair there'd be an air conditioning allowance in countries hotter than the UK
Old Jan 21st 2015, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Lord Noze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Late Winter Fuel Payments

While some poor souls are having their winter fuel payments stopped completely, it seems the British government is doing all it can to prevent payment to countries not on his excluded list.

I registered for the payment in August last year. I have still not received payment today 21 January despite 6 telephone calls to Newcastle. There have been all manner of excuses ranging from waiting for approval, it got put to the back of the pile for some reason, it's going out next week, we tried to get in touch with you but your number doesn't work, etc etc. The latest story is it is being put forward for payment processing starting February 11th. If true that means it will arrive in my account sometime in March. I even had one man with a very strong accent who tried very hard to wind me up. I was having none of it as he seemed to want a fight - perhaps he got some perverted enjoyment out of it. I kept very calm and actually ended up having to calm HIM down. I can imagine that those who don't keep cool are instantly disconnected and receive further trouble.

So, to cut this very long story short (sorry), are others experiencing this disgusting treatment? I suspect a great many are. In which case doesn't this rather point to the government doing this deliberately i.e. they couldn't ditch all the expats so they thought they'd make life as difficult as possible for the ones still entitled?

All rather academic, I know, to the unlucky expats elsewhere but what's happening to fellow expats in Germany regarding this?
Old Jan 21st 2015, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Once again you are wrong! I don't live in Portugual although it's a country I love. I don't own a boat. I live on a pension. I have a tiny house in France (which has no mains water, gas or electricity) where I spend a large amount of time and may one day emigrate there permanently to be with my son. I express opinions only for myself.

Mainland France is definitely a "colder country" but should you choose to donate your money to a good cause to salve your conscience that's fine but you have no idea how other people live and shouldn't expect them to do the same.
Please accept my apologies if I am mistaken but you perhaps understand why.
You joined the forum on February 2nd 2014 in the Portugal section where you discussed buying a boat to use on Formosa Lagoon in Portugal
All your posts were in the Portugal section and on May 7th in Tavira Portugal you stated that you would be in the UK and France "until the end of the year".
Your first post in the French section was on January 2nd 2015 - about - guess what - WFA.
All the main parties in the UK are intent on ending WFA as a universal benefit.
The sooner the better as far as I am concerned.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

surreygirl will become famous soon enough
Talking re: Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
If the system were fair there'd be an air conditioning allowance in countries hotter than the UK
Old Jan 21st 2015, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

I am freezing at the moment. I have the fire on and I live on the Costa del Sol!
Old Jan 21st 2015, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surreygirl
I am freezing at the moment. I have the fire on and I live on the Costa del Sol!
What temperature is it?
I am showing 12 deg for Malaga dropping to about 6 deg overnight.
Compare that with London @ 4 deg dropping to -1 deg overnight.

Last edited by cyrian; Jan 21st 2015 at 3:51 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Confusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond repute

It's ok to talk from the lofty position of having a hefty pension (or 3) but spare a thought for those who haven't.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 4:20 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
What temperature is it?
I am showing 12 deg for Malaga dropping to about 6 deg overnight.
Compare that with London @ 4 deg dropping to -1 deg overnight.
Means testing the WFA in the UK and for overseas claimants would probably far better on the silly red briefcase.

Originally Posted by Confusedinfrance
It's ok to talk from the lofty position of having a hefty pension (or 3) but spare a thought for those who haven't.
If you are full time in France and on a low pension you may well qualify for aid here and they do give it after a couple of pints of blood and a pound of flesh, on the apathy front that you mentioned earlier in the thread I have met far too many English folk here that after a considerable amount of time still don't have the language skills to go in to an office here and ask for help.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Jan 21st 2015 at 4:28 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

aboris is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll never understand why it is just not consolidated into the state pension. If it were those pensioners who had a pension/retirement income over £10,000 would pay either 20% or 40% or 45% of it back as tax due on their income. Far better than all the costs associated with means testing which would be a complete waste.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 4:31 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confusedinfrance
As mentioned in #9 and #66, you can apply to your Conseil Général for benefits/allowances, like all low-income French OAPs. Consult your local Assistante Sociale for info on the necessary documents to support your application.

Last edited by dmu; Jan 21st 2015 at 4:33 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

If the UK government had said "we'll axe the WFP for all ex-pats" then that's fine. My issue is the way in which they intend to apply the policy and as such UK citizens in France are clearly being treated in a discriminatory way. If you're an expat in Italy you get it, if you're in France you don't. How bonkers is that?
I live in Italy and I don't get WFA but then I've not applied for it nor ever will.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by conniewalker
I live in Italy and I don't get WFA but then I've not applied for it nor ever will.
You dont have the opportunity now even if you wanted to
Old Jan 21st 2015, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Banjoboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cyrian
Please accept my apologies if I am mistaken but you perhaps understand why.
Apology accepted. It's always dangerous to make assumptions
All the main parties in the UK are intent on ending WFA as a universal benefit.
Indeed but to be clear Labour announced last year that they want to remove WFP from the richest 5% of pensioners and the Conservatives want to withdraw it from those who pay higher rate tax. Just because you're an ex-pat it doesn't follow you fall into either of those categories.

The Lib Dems seem to agree with both parties and UKIP (if you can call them a major party) have no policy at all on the issue unless it's written on the back of a beer mat somewhere.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Coco pops is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by conniewalker
Originally Posted by surreygirl
You dont have the opportunity now even if you wanted to
I thought Brits who live in Italy would be allowed to carry on with WFA ?

Last edited by Coco pops; Jan 21st 2015 at 5:46 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.