Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Old Jan 21st 2015, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Confusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

In our case it was just a nice extra before the winter set in.....but we will get by. Hey ho......less meat and more veg from the garden.....be slimmer and fitter.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Banjoboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Coco pops
I thought Brits who live in Italy would be allowed to carry on with WFA ?
That's right because according to the British government Italy is colder than the UK. France, on the other hand, is warmer than the UK.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 7:16 am
Just Joined

Coco pops is an unknown quantity at this point

A good article in the Telegraph .

Expats in the Med provide evidence of why they deserve winter fuel payments - Telegraph
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

Interesting article in the Telegraph .

Expats in the Med provide evidence of why they deserve winter fuel payments - Telegraph
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 7:39 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I'll remind everyone for the last time that French OAPs whose country it is, who have paid their NI and Taxes like any other European citizens in their own countries, don't get winter fuel payments. No doubt national citizens of the other countries about to be axed, don't get them either.
So why do UK expats who CHOSE to live in retirement in those countries "deserve" to continue to receive winter fuel payments?
I've given advice to those of you living in France - up to you to take it, or not.

Last edited by dmu; Jan 22nd 2015 at 7:41 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

According to my weather program, Paphos is showing a high of 19 deg and a low of 11 deg. Do you disagree with these figures?
London by comparison is showing 3 deg with a low of 1 deg.
North France is showing a high of 1 deg and a low of -2 deg.
I really don't care if expats get WFA or not - what angers me is that in the UK some people have to choose to heat or to eat while others, in the UK in the UK and elsewhere want the WFA through greed rather than need.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Yes I disagree with those figures , it's only 18c .

But seriously it's not down to greed , it cost me over 2000€ to keep warm last winter . So it matters not about temperatures shown on charts it is the bills people have to pay , but as always you find people begrudging what is due to others .
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 8:57 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Late Winter Fuel Payments

Well, you're rather lucky to have that benefit in the first place. I think the UK is the only country that offers such things to non-residents. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 9:11 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

it cost me over 2000€ to keep warm last winter .
Not being funny but where you burning 5 Pound notes? because Rupees would be more efficient. Even when we lived in the Pyrenees Mountains with periods of -18 our bills never topped out 800 euros for the year. So maybe you should reevaluate the heating you are using or stick a bit of the money into insulation for the roof.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Jan 22nd 2015 at 9:18 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I disagree with those figures , it's only 18c .

But seriously it's not down to greed , it cost me over 2000€ to keep warm last winter . So it matters not about temperatures shown on charts it is the bills people have to pay , but as always you find people begrudging what is due to others .
In Paphos, the average January (lowest month) minimum temperature is 8 deg.
If the proposal is implemented then you won't be due it any more because them's the rules.
In the UK, elderly pensioners have to keep the heating on all day when the temperature hovers around freezing 24/7.
The UK Gov't tries to help by providing insulation for the homes of vulnerable people. Perhaps houses in Cyprus should qualify for UK Gov't help also.

I really don't see how someone living in Cyprus is going to get any sympathy from UK taxpayers - good luck though.
I want to see WFA and bus passes restricted to those on living wage level or less - be they UK resident or ex-pat.

Last edited by cyrian; Jan 22nd 2015 at 9:19 am. Reason: Addition
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 10:34 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed that, at the time of writing, CocoPop's latest posts in Spain and Portugal haven't had any reaction from the locals and that there's no thread on the subject on the Cyprus forum.
But this isn't a reason to bombard the France forum on the subject, esp. as there are only one or two members here who are affected by the loss of this "acquired right" and aren't aggressive about it....
Maybe CocoPop can advise the poster on the Germany forum?
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 10:47 am
Just Joined

I think it is quite common if you are newly qualified for the WFA to receive it about Febuary or March . I know it was for me , short lived as it was .
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

This was on another ExPats Site

https://submissions.epetitions.direc...etitions/73368
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
I've noticed that, at the time of writing, CocoPop's latest posts in Spain and Portugal haven't had any reaction from the locals and that there's no thread on the subject on the Cyprus forum.
But this isn't a reason to bombard the France forum on the subject, esp. as there are only one or two members here who are affected by the loss of this "acquired right" and aren't aggressive about it....
Maybe CocoPop can advise the poster on the Germany forum?
+1
I agree.
If you are in favour of WFA as an expat then you aren't going to turn your nose up on a hand-out of £200.
If you are against giving £200 to everyone over 62 then you aren't going to be sympathetic.
This thread isn't going anywhere - I will unsubscribe because it is getting boring.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Lord Noze is an unknown quantity at this point

To repeat my reply to the "unreasonable" person who answered: no other country needs to offer all these add ons because they pay a decent state pension in the first place. So no, not "lucky" at all - if anything entitled to it. Considering my post was deleted I would like the moderator to remove my original post at the top, that of "Reasonable Bitch" and for my removal from this website listing.

And thank you to Coco pops who gave a constructive and useful answer.

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 22nd 2015 at 10:30 pm. Reason: Ah! unsnipped - I now see it was ref. direct quote to Amideislas own moniker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.