Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Old Dec 18th 2014, 7:40 am
  #1  
EMR
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default End of Winter Fuel Allowance

I am suprised that no one else has commented on the article in Local News, World News, Property News, Business Directory, FREE Classifieds in the Algarve. that confirms that the amendment that withdraws WFA allowance from expats living in some countries outside of the UK will soon become law.
EMR is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 9:18 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
peterfc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 663
peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
I am suprised that no one else has commented on the article in Local News, World News, Property News, Business Directory, FREE Classifieds in the Algarve. that confirms that the amendment that withdraws WFA allowance from expats living in some countries outside of the UK will soon become law.
Hi Emr

I can't find anything on the Government websites about the ending of the Winter Fuel Allowance perhaps you could find confirmation to the claims you make.

Peter
peterfc is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 12:34 pm
  #3  
EMR
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

It was part of the autumn statement over 2 years ago. Have you looked at the algarve daily news report ?
EMR is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 2:44 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
peterfc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 663
peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
It was part of the autumn statement over 2 years ago. Have you looked at the algarve daily news report ?
Hi Emr

Surly information from an Autumn statement two years out of date is a waste of time and reports in newspapers is also a waste of time. Unless it is fact and from the UK's Government's own website then what good does spectulation do for members who know no better. Often people read what's on Forum's and believe what has been said, what good is that.

Peter
peterfc is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 2:57 pm
  #5  
EMR
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

Originally Posted by peterfc View Post
Hi Emr

Surly information from an Autumn statement two years out of date is a waste of time and reports in newspapers is also a waste of time. Unless it is fact and from the UK's Government's own website then what good does spectulation do for members who know no better. Often people read what's on Forum's and believe what has been said, what good is that.

Peter
The report states that the amendment will soon be part of UK law. Are you saying that the report is wrong ?. Wfa will be just one or two lines in a huge finance bill that will be voted through with little debate.
EMR is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 3:17 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
peterfc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 663
peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
The report states that the amendment will soon be part of UK law. Are you saying that the report is wrong ?. Wfa will be just one or two lines in a huge finance bill that will be voted through with little debate.
Hi Emr

THe European ruling was that the UK couldn't cancel the Winter fuel Allowance but you are saying that speculation is a good basis to report that the report in a news paper was fact. When the EU ruling has been overturned then maybe the Winter fuel Allowance can be cancelled for Expats.

Peter
peterfc is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 3:24 pm
  #7  
EMR
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

Time will tell.as far as EU rulings influencing discretional payments such as Wfa in the current climate I would not bank on that. Remember the UK electorate will be only too pleased to see Wfa cancelled for expats.
EMR is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 5:27 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 66
OnecalledBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Remember the UK electorate will be only too pleased to see Wfa cancelled for expats.
Is this fact or just another spurios assumption EMR?
OnecalledBob is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 5:32 pm
  #9  
EMR
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

Originally Posted by OnecalledBob View Post
Is this fact or just another spurios assumption EMR?
By just read the link from the algarve daily news . As I posted time will tell.
EMR is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 5:48 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 66
OnecalledBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

Read it , but it doesn't confirm to me that the UK electorate will be only too pleased to WFA cancelled for expats. That, I think, is just your opinion.
OnecalledBob is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 6:20 pm
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
peterfc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 663
peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
By just read the link from the algarve daily news . As I posted time will tell.
Hi Emr

Newpapers report there version of the news to help sell papers truth has nothing to do with sales. You must remember Hillsbrough and the lies the Sun told.

The report you mentioned certainly got your attention and also from a report you say is 2 years out of date.

Peter
peterfc is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 8:24 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 26
heading2PT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

If it does materialize it doesn't kick in until September 2015, so there is another nine months's worth of forum posting left in this one.
heading2PT is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2014, 9:31 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 34
Banjoboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

Originally Posted by OnecalledBob View Post

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Remember the UK electorate will be only too pleased to see Wfa cancelled for expats.
Is this fact or just another spurios assumption EMR?
If you look at the comments of online readers of various UK newspapers' articles on this subject I think you'll find that EMR's assumption is entirely reasonable.

In fact there seems to be quite a body of opinion that promulgates the view that ex-pats should also forfeit their pensions once they have the temerity to get of their arses and try to make a better life for themselves.
Banjoboy is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2014, 7:36 am
  #14  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Fredbargate's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Land of no recession
Posts: 9,789
Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

Originally Posted by Banjoboy View Post
In fact there seems to be quite a body of opinion that promulgates the view that ex-pats should also forfeit their pensions once they have the temerity to get of their arses and try to make a better life for themselves.
I'll subscribe to that
Fredbargate is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2014, 7:45 am
  #15  
EMR
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

Originally Posted by heading2PT View Post
If it does materialize it doesn't kick in until September 2015, so there is another nine months's worth of forum posting left in this one.
I said nothing of the sort just that the originsl government statement on this was made two years ago. The Algarve daily new report suggests that the process to make this part of UK law has now started. My view scrap the wfa ,ncrease the OAP by an equivalent amount. Stop paying it to those not in receipt of the OAP and those who already pay tax will pay a little more.
EMR is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.