Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Old Jan 3rd 2015, 6:10 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

Originally Posted by peterfc
But still there is the matter of the EU ruling saying that the UK had to maintain the payments to Expats living in the EU.
If I remember correctly it was decided that as it stood the WFA was primarily an age-related payment and should therefore be paid regardless of where in the EU the claimant lives.

Hence the introduction of the so-called temperature test to rule out some claims.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Ex-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WINTER FUEL ALLOWANCE PETITION

One thing is sure, the decision has been made and the WFA will be stopped.
Maybe if any petition had been made earlier it might have made a difference.
I am a firm believer in action to be taken and as far as I can see the only action would be for all the ex-pats to return to UK and start claiming all the benefits that are available to them from council tax to housing benefit etc.etc. That would cost far more than paying WFA to ex-pats.
Unfortunately, too many of the ex-pats are not in a position to do so, however, it is an option.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 6:25 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ex-pat
One thing is sure, the decision has been made and the WFA will be stopped. .
Yes, it will be stopped, but if someone takes it up with the EU it may well eventually get reversed - it has happened twice before.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by la mancha
In late April 2013, Duncan Smith called for wealthier people to voluntarily return winter fuel payments, which are given to all pensioners regardless of wealth, to help reduce the strain on public finances. Then he was told that the DWP had no mechanism in place to receive returned payments. This from the idiot who runs the department.
Sums it all up sadly.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 6:48 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Yes, it will be stopped, but if someone takes it up with the EU it may well eventually get reversed - it has happened twice before.
I think that is a forlorn hope.All of the older and larger EU members want the freedom to set their own rules on benefits. One of the crunch changes that the UK is seeking so that it can remain in the EU is just that
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 8:44 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

FYI

I have moved the WFA non-discussion posts to a closed thread of their own. I have placed a link to the Spanish Petition thread there .

Can't say fairer than that.

Thanks
BEVS
Old Jan 4th 2015, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

surreygirl will become famous soon enough

Thank you
Old Jan 5th 2015, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

bastienexpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

I have written to the PM's office suggesting that if they are including Martinique in their calculations they should also include the British Overseas Territories
https://email.number10.gov.uk/contact.aspx
Old Jan 6th 2015, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Banjoboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bastienexpat
I have written to the PM's office suggesting that if they are including Martinique in their calculations they should also include the British Overseas Territories
https://email.number10.gov.uk/contact.aspx
They'll tell you that the UK boundaries do not include overseas territories whereas the boundaries of France do.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Confusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond repute

I started the latest thread about this topic and quite frankly I am not surprised that the UK government can do exactly as they like because we (the ex pats) are knee deep in apathy!! And yes, I agree it is a miserly amount and not worth moaning about (because you have two private pensions and an inheritance from older parents) but if you fall into the category of being reliant on your old age pension then that money was useful. My wife and I lost our business through no fault of our own and came to France because we could afford to live here and couldn't afford to live in the UK. Not all of us are wealthy. We manage very well but that extra 200 meant that we could at least ensure we had extra wood for the winter months , which is what it was meant for. Some of the comments regarding this thread have been offensive and unrealistic.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Hear Hear
Old Jan 7th 2015, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Banjoboy is an unknown quantity at this point

+1
Old Jan 7th 2015, 7:42 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
While I'm a great fan of cross-forum posting, I wonder why it is that the vast majority of frothing loon expats are in Spain and Portugal?

It's a real puzzle to me.
Something only you would say eh!

Likely IMO because there are more like minded people (the ex-pat nation lives on) than there are in the UK or France

Novo, why the heck are you thinking of moving to France of all places?
Old Jan 7th 2015, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Cool re: Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Originally Posted by Banjoboy
They'll tell you that the UK boundaries do not include overseas territories whereas the boundaries of France do.
They might be liberal with the truth France Met only includes Andorra and Monaco
Old Jan 8th 2015, 3:02 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Something only you would say eh!

Likely IMO because there are more like minded people (the ex-pat nation lives on) than there are in the UK or France

Novo, why the heck are you thinking of moving to France of all places?
Why, welcome stranger! What a nice surprise to find you in this forum.

To address your question (although it's frankly none of your business) there are several reasons.

I have a much larger number of close and intimately well-known relatives there (through marriage or otherwise) than in either Canada or the UK.

As a result of the above, the part of France we'll be going to is extremely well known and well liked by both of us.

Despite France's current economic woes, I consider it to be one of the (if not the) most sane, cultured, balanced countries in the world: it certainly beats Canada these days by a country mile.

In general terms having spent a total of more than 30 years in North America (both USA and Canada) since 1977 I really can't take the bland, hypocritical, superficial consumerism driven, brain dead society any longer.

As you know, I'm currently near Toronto where, as you also know, it's winter. You may be not2old but I certainly am. This time next year I'll be in Normandy and at worst it'll be a bit chilly not -20 like here right now.

Oh, and the wine is much better and a fraction of the price.

Thanks for asking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.