Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Old Jan 20th 2015, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Banjoboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
So everybody should get childcare benefits even if they don't have children?
No of course not but the withdrawal of WFP is based on temperature. The UK Government has cynically manipulated the figures insofar as they relate to mainland France.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 10:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Banjoboy
There are plenty of UK citizens in France that need WFP just as much as UK citizens living in the UK. Who are you to say they don't?

I said that the principles were "fairness" and "non-discrimination". That many people living in mainland France suffer winter temperatures lower than the UK (based on the UK government's own figures) then withdrawal of the WFP is both unfair and discriminatory when compared to UK based people. I certainly hold the opinion that fairness and non-discrimination are worth fighting for.

If you don't share that opinion then that's for you and your conscience.
Look. The reason the WFA was introduced in the first place without a means test is that the amounts involved (per household) were so trivial* that the administrative costs of means testing would exceed the cost of an across the board payment.

How much do you think it would cost to parse the ex-pat population based on how hot or otherwise it is in January?

Do Australian ex-pats expect to be given a hundred quid every July?

*for most households
Old Jan 20th 2015, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Look.
Look at what?

How much do you think it would cost to parse the ex-pat population based on how hot or otherwise it is in January?
Well the UK Government has already devised such a system based on average winter temperatures of countries compared with the average winter temperature of south-west England.

In the case of France they have included the temperatures of a number of tropical overseas departments where the total British expat population is just 30 people who clearly don't need the WFP for the purpose of buying fuel. As a result the 62,000 British citizens in mainland France, where the average winter temperature is lower than in the UK, are being denied the WFP.

Do Australian ex-pats expect to be given a hundred quid every July?
What has this got do do with British citizens in France?
Old Jan 20th 2015, 10:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well, of course I withdraw in the presence of such coherency.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 3:25 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

I found this quote from the BBC News interesting:-

UK Independence Party deputy leader Paul Nuttall said: "Once again the EU puts its nose where it's not welcome and helps itself to money from the pockets of British taxpayers."

He added: "The fact that some foreign pensioners living abroad will now receive winter fuel allowance is simply madness."

So according to UKIP we are also foreigners now.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 4:02 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I found this quote from the BBC News interesting:-

UK Independence Party deputy leader Paul Nuttall said: "Once again the EU puts its nose where it's not welcome and helps itself to money from the pockets of British taxpayers."

He added: "The fact that some foreign pensioners living abroad will now receive winter fuel allowance is simply madness."

So according to UKIP we are also foreigners now.
I think it's no coincidence that the deputy leader of the Kippers is called Nuttall.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of UK citizens in France that need WFP just as much as UK citizens living in the UK. Who are you to say they don't?

I said that the principles were "fairness" and "non-discrimination". That many people living in mainland France suffer winter temperatures lower than the UK (based on the UK government's own figures) then withdrawal of the WFP is both unfair and discriminatory when compared to UK based people. I certainly hold the opinion that fairness and non-discrimination are worth fighting for.

If you don't share that opinion then that's for you and your conscience.
Are you not the guy who lives in Portugal (winter sunshine) and was asking in Feb 2014 about buying a small 4 - 5 seat boat with outboard motor?
I am talking about people who live in colder countries and have to make a choice whether to heat or to eat.
You seem to be expressing opinions for people who live in France although you are not getting a lot of support from other members who actually live in France.
I get WFA and I give it to a charity who help children in poverty in 3rd world countries - not to pay for the running of my boat. Conscience ???
Old Jan 21st 2015, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

What happens if the child has got a temperature? Who pays? Name these guilty people I say!
Old Jan 21st 2015, 8:38 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

Originally Posted by Ingles
Will be off interest to "most" posters on this thread

MP champions winter fuel payments
Old news and it is one MP out of over 600 do you honestly believe that is more than just a bit o self promotion by the conservative mp involved.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMR
Old news...
Not really. The Early Day Motion was tabled just a few days ago. See Early day motion 695 - SOCIAL SECURITY - UK Parliament

There's an excellent article here about this (albeit from a France perspective and also just a few days old - sorry if it's been posted before but I don't think it has) and which gives advice about what ex-pats can do to support it.

... and it is one MP out of over 600 do you honestly believe that is more than just a bit o self promotion by the conservative mp involved.
Well to borrow from your previous post, there is an election in a few months so do you honestly think that the any mp seeking self-promotion would do so by trying to please a few non-voters?
Old Jan 21st 2015, 9:14 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Well done, Cyrian!
As I mentioned here and on the Spain Forum, French OAPs (including OH and myself) don't systematically get the WFA. Those who need extra allowances/benefits must apply for them, with justification, as they are means-tested.
So, why should expats who choose to leave the UK continue to benefit, when the citizens of their chosen country don't enjoy this "acquired right"?
In France, needy UK OAPs can do what the French do (request aid from their Conseil Général).
Old Jan 21st 2015, 9:50 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
(request aid from their Conseil Général).
Who do if you are truly needy give aid for heating and it can work out a lot better than the WFA, they also offer interest free loans if you don't qualify for the hand other outs. The Assistance Sociale are usually a pretty friendly bunch.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cyrian
Are you not the guy who lives in Portugal (winter sunshine) and was asking in Feb 2014 about buying a small 4 - 5 seat boat with outboard motor?
I am talking about people who live in colder countries and have to make a choice whether to heat or to eat.
You seem to be expressing opinions for people who live in France although you are not getting a lot of support from other members who actually live in France.
I get WFA and I give it to a charity who help children in poverty in 3rd world countries - not to pay for the running of my boat. Conscience ???
Once again you are wrong! I don't live in Portugual although it's a country I love. I don't own a boat. I live on a pension. I have a tiny house in France (which has no mains water, gas or electricity) where I spend a large amount of time and may one day emigrate there permanently to be with my son. I express opinions only for myself.

Mainland France is definitely a "colder country" but should you choose to donate your money to a good cause to salve your conscience that's fine but you have no idea how other people live and shouldn't expect them to do the same.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Well done, Cyrian!
So, why should expats who choose to leave the UK continue to benefit, when the citizens of their chosen country don't enjoy this "acquired right"?
If the UK government had said "we'll axe the WFP for all ex-pats" then that's fine. My issue is the way in which they intend to apply the policy and as such UK citizens in France are clearly being treated in a discriminatory way. If you're an expat in Italy you get it, if you're in France you don't. How bonkers is that?
Old Jan 21st 2015, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Not really. The Early Day Motion was tabled just a few days ago. See Early day motion 695 - SOCIAL SECURITY - UK Parliament

There's an excellent article here about this (albeit from a France perspective and also just a few days old - sorry if it's been posted before but I don't think it has) and which gives advice about what ex-pats can do to support it.

Well to borrow from your previous post, there is an election in a few months so do you honestly think that the any mp seeking self-promotion would do so by trying to please a few non-voters?

Nice one ole chap
+ Thanks for the report , very interesting

Last edited by Ingles; Jan 21st 2015 at 10:51 am. Reason: Added bit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.