Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

Old Jan 20th 2015, 5:07 am
Just Joined

Coco pops is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Winter Fuel Allowance - Europe pensioners and expats.

An early day motion to keep our WFA has now been activated by an MP , what we now all need to do is get in touch with our last MP in the uk and get them to sign the edm . It's number is 695 on the parliament uk site.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Default Re: WINTER FUEL ALLOWANCE PETITION

All is not lost yet , an MP has put up an early day motion to get the decision reversed . We have until 9th Feb to get our uk MPs to sign it (those of us that still have a uk MP ). The edm is number 695 on the parliament uk site .
Old Jan 20th 2015, 7:48 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Winter Fuel Allowance

Originally Posted by Coco pops
Good link , but the early day motion has now been activated by MP , what we now all need to do is get in touch with our last MP in the uk and get them to sign the edm .
There is an election in a few months .do you honestly think that the views of a few non voters will have any effect. You should forget Wfa and focus on voting rights for expats.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Sorry forgot to say only those of that can still vote .

A lot of us are still voters , you do know we have up to 15 years from leaving the UK to carry on voting .

Oh and forgot to add the EDM number is 695 on the parliament UK site .

Last edited by Coco pops; Jan 20th 2015 at 9:05 am.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Banjoboy is an unknown quantity at this point

An early day motion to keep our WFA has now been activated by an MP , what we now all need to do is get in touch with our last MP in the uk and get them to sign the edm . It's number is 695 on the parliament uk site.
Only signed by 2 MPs so far. I have written to my MP requesting her to sign.

Here's a link: Early day motion 695 - SOCIAL SECURITY - UK Parliament
Old Jan 20th 2015, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Are you serious?
How many UK residents (or MPs) are going to be sympathetic to someone in Cyprus wanting a WFA?
Do you want a free bus pass as well?
I would be more interested in restricting such benefits to those on State benefits only.
Give benefits to those who need them.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cyrian
Are you serious?
How many UK residents (or MPs) are going to be sympathetic to someone in Cyprus wanting a WFA?
The situation in France is quite different from Cyprus.

I don't think this link has been posted before but it's a really good article which sets out the discriminatory unfairness of the UK government's action in France and makes reference to the Early Day Motion with a suggestion as to what UK citizens can do to get their MP to support it.

Those who aren't prepared to do anything to support this because they don't think it can succeed may be interested in a quote from the Russian revolutionary Mikhail Bakunin:
"By striving to do the impossible man has always achieved what is possible. Those who have cautiously done no more than they believed possible have never taken a single step forward."

Even if this EDM fails those who have done something positive will know that at least tried, unlike those who merely prattle on about their perception of the hopelessness of the situation.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Banjoboy
The situation in France is quite different from Cyprus.

I don't think this link has been posted before but it's a really good article which sets out the discriminatory unfairness of the UK government's action in France and makes reference to the Early Day Motion with a suggestion as to what UK citizens can do to get their MP to support it.

Those who aren't prepared to do anything to support this because they don't think it can succeed may be interested in a quote from the Russian revolutionary Mikhail Bakunin:
"By striving to do the impossible man has always achieved what is possible. Those who have cautiously done no more than they believed possible have never taken a single step forward."

Even if this EDM fails those who have done something positive will know that at least tried, unlike those who merely prattle on about their perception of the hopelessness of the situation.
The situation in France may be quite different - but Portugal.
Lisbon is showing 13 deg max and 7 deg min.
Faro is showing 16 deg max and 7 deg min.
You still aren't going to get a lot of sympathy - learn to live with it.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Will be off interest to "most" posters on this thread

MP champions winter fuel payments
Old Jan 20th 2015, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

You still aren't going to get a lot of sympathy - learn to live with it.
This is not about sympathy but about fairness and non-discrimination.

If you don't think those are principles worth upholding then that's fine, but why not start a thread about the benefits of sitting on your backside doing b*gger-all?
Old Jan 20th 2015, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Banjoboy for posting the link , I did try to post it but the mods would not allow me because I am new to the forum , which I accept is fair .

Just read the hint that because I am in Cyprus I might want a bus pass , but we are all in this together ....let's keep the WFA for all pensioners no matter where they live.

Oh and by the way I did live in France for five years before moving here , so I know how cold it can be in La Belle ...we had temps down to -16c .

Last edited by Coco pops; Jan 20th 2015 at 9:21 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 9:14 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't think those are principles worth upholding then that's fine, but why not start a thread about the benefits of sitting on your backside doing b*gger-all?
So everybody should get childcare benefits even if they don't have children?
Old Jan 20th 2015, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

For the avoidance of doubt, I want the WFA and the bus passes stopped for everyone other than those who need them.
Child benefit was also stopped for those on higher incomes.
I think that you are confusing "principles" with your opinion and I am sorry but I disagree with you.
As long as it is legal, what I do in my own time is my business,
Old Jan 20th 2015, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

For the avoidance of doubt, I want the WFA and the bus passes stopped for everyone other than those who need them.
Child benefit was also stopped for those on higher incomes.
I think that you are confusing "principles" with your opinion and I am sorry but I disagree with you.
As long as it is legal, what I do in my own time is my business,
Absolutely agreed.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

There are plenty of UK citizens in France that need WFP just as much as UK citizens living in the UK. Who are you to say they don't?

I said that the principles were "fairness" and "non-discrimination". That many people living in mainland France suffer winter temperatures lower than the UK (based on the UK government's own figures) then withdrawal of the WFP is both unfair and discriminatory when compared to UK based people. I certainly hold the opinion that fairness and non-discrimination are worth fighting for.

If you don't share that opinion then that's for you and your conscience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.