Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Old Aug 17th 2014, 2:49 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by SKMKISS
Hey there,
im currently in the dominican republic technically on vacation and my passport has expired..
i previously resided in canada for 5 years and havent been back to the UK since.
im planning on applying online to renew my passport and was wondering if it mattered if i gave a friend's PO BOX as the return address?? because its the DR most international post goes through Florida first and thats where his PO BOX is. from there they send it over to a local post office. He's used this method many times without problems and it would come straight to my neighbourhhod instead of going through the british embassy here.

Also, the last time i was issued a passport i was under the age of 16, a child, so this is my first adult passport, on the website it says i may have to attend an interview..im overseas, in anyones experience has an interview been neccessary?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
As you are on vacation, and on an expired passport, I would have thought an ETD would be the better option. Personally I wouldn't be on holiday on an expired passport but don't know all the rules for DR.

I wouldn't suggest lying about what country you are in (using someone else's address). Do you have a Canadian passport as well?
Old Aug 17th 2014, 6:56 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there,
im currently in the dominican republic technically on vacation and my passport has expired..
i previously resided in canada for 5 years and havent been back to the UK since.
im planning on applying online to renew my passport and was wondering if it mattered if i gave a friend's PO BOX as the return address?? because its the DR most international post goes through Florida first and thats where his PO BOX is. from there they send it over to a local post office. He's used this method many times without problems and it would come straight to my neighbourhhod instead of going through the british embassy here.

Also, the last time i was issued a passport i was under the age of 16, a child, so this is my first adult passport, on the website it says i may have to attend an interview..im overseas, in anyones experience has an interview been neccessary?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
You need to read through the instructions - thoroughly. Off the top of my head, from what I remember you can't use a PO box. Overseas passport renewals need to provide proof of residence/address. I don't think that you will need to attend an interview as that is for 1st time applications. Renewal of a passport, albeit a child to adult, is not a first time application. You might need to provide signed/certified photos. However, due to the backlog of overseas renewals, your present passport can be extended for a year by the British Consulate. Not all countries permit the use of extended passports.

Last edited by 37100; Aug 17th 2014 at 7:10 am.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 7:08 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
You need to read through the instructions - thoroughly. Off the top of my head, from what I remember you can't use a PO box. Overseas passport renewals need to provide proof of residence/address. I don't think that you will need to attend an interview as that is for 1st time applications. Renewal of a passport, albeit a child to adult, is not a first time application. You might need to provide signed/certified photos. However, due to the backlog of overseas renewals, your present passport can be extended for a year by
the British Consulate. Not all countries permit the use of an extended passport.
There is a warning on the website that the application of a first adult passport, even as a renewal, may require an interview - https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...wing_new/adult
Old Aug 17th 2014, 7:26 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
There is a warning on the website that the application of a first adult passport, even as a renewal, may require an interview - https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...wing_new/adult
Different for Italy. Hopefully, the poster will not need to, but renewing a passport in these circumstances could seem a bit fishy.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

SKMKISS is an unknown quantity at this point

As you are on vacation, and on an expired passport, I would have thought an ETD would be the better option. Personally I wouldn't be on holiday on an expired passport but don't know all the rules for DR.

I wouldn't suggest lying about what country you are in (using someone else's address). Do you have a Canadian passport as well?
Thank you for the replies!
Ofcourse it wasnt my intention to remain here and let my passport expire but i simply didnt have the money to apply for a new one before it expired, now i have the money i can finally renew!
And im not intending to lie about what country im in. because im on vacation i dont have an address, the PO BOX in Florida is my friend's yes, but he lives here in the Dominican, its just it has to be sent to a postal office there to then be sent here.
And no i dont have a canadian passport, i was residing there on a work permit.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 37100
You need to read through the instructions - thoroughly. Off the top of my head, from what I remember you can't use a PO box. Overseas passport renewals need to provide proof of residence/address. I don't think that you will need to attend an interview as that is for 1st time applications. Renewal of a passport, albeit a child to adult, is not a first time application. You might need to provide signed/certified photos. However, due to the backlog of overseas renewals, your present passport can be extended for a year by the British Consulate. Not all countries permit the use of extended passports.
ive checked the website again and it says they can send to a PO BOX in special cases, which i hope i am.
Because im on vacation i have no address that also show my name, on the website it says i need evidence of address/residency within the last year, so im not sure, i was intending to use my work permit from canada which shows this, though im not in canada currently. I will write in Additional Notes that i am on vacation i guess?
Thank you for the info! I do hope i need not go to an interview as it delays the process even further.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 7:57 pm

Thank you for the replies!
Ofcourse it wasnt my intention to remain here and let my passport expire but i simply didnt have the money to apply for a new one before it expired, now i have the money i can finally renew!
And im not intending to lie about what country im in. because im on vacation i dont have an address, the PO BOX in Florida is my friend's yes, but he lives here in the Dominican, its just it has to be sent to a postal office there to then be sent here.
And no i dont have a canadian passport, i was residing there on a work permit.
Then I would apply for ETD and sort out passport when you get home.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Especially with the passport backlog happening at the mo. Where are you going back to SKMKISS? Canada or UK?
Old Aug 17th 2014, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

Back to good old busy London
Old Aug 17th 2014, 9:57 pm
Concierge

Or a one year extension if it's possible. Unlike an ETD, it's free.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

an ETD is in fact 95 pounds! :O if it was free i would off totally done that
i'll go research this extension of passport!
Old Aug 17th 2014, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the advce guys!
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Steve Junion is an unknown quantity at this point

Um...so I got my passport about a week ago which was great.

But I still haven't received my supporting documents. Do they just use regular mail or was I supposed to get these via courier? I'm in NZ.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve Junion
Um...so I got my passport about a week ago which was great.

But I still haven't received my supporting documents. Do they just use regular mail or was I supposed to get these via courier? I'm in NZ.
They'll come by courier. Your new passport comes direct from the factory whereas your supporting documents come from the Passport Office so they usually take a little longer to arrive especially if they're busy as they are at the moment.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Steve Junion is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. It's been nearly two weeks though. Seems an awfully long time.

But I will try to stay patient.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.