British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/experience-renewing-uk-passport-overseas-815712/)

MrMuffin Nov 20th 2013 2:17 pm

Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

As some of you may know, all passports are no renewed directly from the IPS Centre in Durham, UK rather than through your local embassy.

I currently live on the East Coast of the USA. My passport was expiring in April 2014 so I figured I'd get it done roughly six months before just in case any emergency trips were needed back home. Plus most airlines won't let you fly internationally if you've got less than six months left before expiration... as a heads up!!

I downloaded the forms from the internet from:
https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

I got the pictures sorted and then sent off the renewal forms, my expiring UK passport, and my valid USA passport (a requirement) in a package via DHL to Durham. I sent the package off Tuesday November 5th and it arrived Thursday November 7th.

I received two packages back via DHL. The first contained my newly updated UK passport and that arrived Monday November 18th. The second package with my old cancelled UK passport and my valid USA passport arrived Tuesday November 19th.

I was quite happy with the turnaround time. The cost was much higher than going through the British Embassy previously (double actually) plus the shipping costs to get my package to the UK were also high too.

The new renewal forms require a lot of information that I don't remember having to give previously. This time I had to give both my parents' place of birth, date of birth, date of wedding and even though I have my long form birth certificate from the UK, only some of that info is on there. So if you don't already have the info to hand and you might need it in a hurry... be forewarned.

Cheers all!

bigglesworth Nov 20th 2013 2:21 pm

Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Thanks for the tips!:thumbsup:

Pistolpete2 Nov 20th 2013 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by MrMuffin (Post 10999825)
As some of you may know, all passports are no renewed directly from the IPS Centre in Durham, UK rather than through your local embassy.

I currently live on the East Coast of the USA. My passport was expiring in April 2014 so I figured I'd get it done roughly six months before just in case any emergency trips were needed back home. Plus most airlines won't let you fly internationally if you've got less than six months left before expiration... as a heads up!!

I got the pictures sorted and then sent off the renewal forms, my expiring UK passport, and my valid USA passport (a requirement) in a package via DHL to Durham. I sent the package off Tuesday November 5th and it arrived Thursday November 7th.

I received two packages back via DHL. The first contained my newly updated UK passport and that arrived Monday November 18th. The second package with my old cancelled UK passport and my valid USA passport arrived Tuesday November 19th.

I was quite happy with the turnaround time. The cost was much higher than going through the British Embassy previously (double actually) plus the shipping costs to get my package to the UK were also high too.

The new renewal forms require a lot of information that I don't remember having to give previously. This time I had to give both my parents' place of birth, date of birth, date of wedding and even though I have my long form birth certificate from the UK, only some of that info is on there. So if you don't already have the info to hand and you might need it in a hurry... be forewarned.

SECTION 4 of the UK passport application covers applying for your FIRST adult passport, to replace lost, for a child under 16 or to extend a passport.

This is the section that needs to be filled-in ref parents and date of marriage etc. etc.

worse still:

If both parents were born after 31st December 1982 OR were born abroad, they also require full name, town, country, date of birth and date of marriage of your grandparents (or details of your parents claim to British nationality)

moggi1964 Nov 20th 2013 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by MrMuffin (Post 10999825)

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 10999984)
SECTION 4 of the UK passport application covers applying for your FIRST adult passport, to replace lost, for a child under 16 or to extend a passport.

This is the section that needs to be filled-in ref parents and date of marriage etc. etc.

worse still:

If both parents were born after 31st December 1982 OR were born abroad, they also require full name, town, country, date of birth and date of marriage of your grandparents (or details of your parents claim to British nationality)

If you were renewing an existing passport you did not need to fill in the parents data according to the notes I downloaded, only if you lost your passport or this was your first one or it was for a kid.

I hope I'm not wrong as my wife's passport is over there now :fingerscrossed:

Pistolpete2 Nov 20th 2013 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by moggi1964 (Post 11000053)
If you were renewing an existing passport you did not need to fill in the parents data according to the notes I downloaded, only if you lost your passport or this was your first one or it was for a kid.

I hope I'm not wrong as my wife's passport is over there now :fingerscrossed:

I think that is correct i.e. you will NOT need to complete SECTION 4.

MrMuffin Nov 20th 2013 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 11000070)

I think that is correct i.e. you will NOT need to complete SECTION 4.

Apologies if I led anyone up the garden path. But it's worth getting that info saved in a place where you can find it just in case... :)

BritInParis Nov 20th 2013 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by MrMuffin (Post 11000140)
Apologies if I led anyone up the garden path. But it's worth getting that info saved in a place where you can find it just in case... :)

Section 4 is if you are applying:

- for your first adult British passport
- to replace a British passport that has been lost, stolen or damaged
- for a British passport for a child under 16, or
- to extend a British passport.

Also if your passport expired more than ten years ago you will treated as a first timer so you will need that information then as well.

moggi1964 Nov 20th 2013 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11000327)

Also if your passport expired more than ten years ago you will treated as a first timer so you will need that information then as well.

Didn't know that!

All very helpful stuff in this thread. :thumbup:

Cats-R-Us Nov 22nd 2013 8:00 am

Just renewed our British passports. It must depend on where you live as to where you apply. We live in Spain and had to send our applications to Belfast, not Durham. The web site did state that it would take at least 4 weeks from the time they received the application, however, we posted the applications on Oct 2 and got everything back by October 22. Very good service but do agree that the price is expensive compared to applying to renew in the UK.

CDNtoUK Nov 22nd 2013 8:17 pm

We just got our kids their first UK passports. We were really impressed with the quick turn-around time. They received the application on Nov. 4 and we had the new passports in hand, in western Canada, on November 14. I just hope my spousal visa time will be just as fast.

Derrygal Dec 10th 2013 12:31 am

I sent mine off 12 days ago. They charged my US Mastercard within a couple of days of receiving the application. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for my new passport. It is a pain though - having to send it back to the UK - also very expensive.

thekettlewitch Dec 17th 2013 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 11028466)
I sent mine off 12 days ago. They charged my US Mastercard within a couple of days of receiving the application. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for my new passport. It is a pain though - having to send it back to the UK - also very expensive.

Hi Derrygal

Just an FYI time-wise. Sent a straightforward child renewal recently from Houston. Received in Durham Nov 28th, charge taken Nov 29th,new passport received today with an issue date of Dec 12th. Not too bad for a busy time of year really.

Regarding the cost, I don't really have a beef with paying a return courier fee ((it's an important document after all and I am overseas). I just wish I was able to find a service to send the application off for renewal at a comparable cost. UPS was extortionate and USPS out of the question ;)

scot47 Dec 18th 2013 8:27 am

Ever a victim of nostalgia, I am SURE it was better in the old days when the Embassy or High Commission did it all !

Vexcore Dec 18th 2013 10:52 am

That's Great News!

I was also worried when i found out... now we have to send them to the UK... but i will use DHL, hope i get the passport soon!

Derrygal Dec 19th 2013 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by thekettlewitch (Post 11042233)
Hi Derrygal

Just an FYI time-wise. Sent a straightforward child renewal recently from Houston. Received in Durham Nov 28th, charge taken Nov 29th,new passport received today with an issue date of Dec 12th. Not too bad for a busy time of year really.

Regarding the cost, I don't really have a beef with paying a return courier fee ((it's an important document after all and I am overseas). I just wish I was able to find a service to send the application off for renewal at a comparable cost. UPS was extortionate and USPS out of the question ;)

Thanks for the info. I haven't received mine back yet, although it was only sent a day or two after your child's. Hopefully it should come in the next day or two. Yes - I used UPS too - wouldn't dare trust the Post Office!!