Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by JAJ
Really? Except that the United Kingdom does not mandate a return ticket for those arriving as tourists.
No it doesn't but the airlines like to be fussy about it and make you get a return ticket. Its a money game, and i'm sure a return ticket, whilst not required by the UKBA, would solidify the tourist's claims that he will not work/stay in the UK longer than his visa.

CBSA doesn't require a Canadian passport as proof of Canadian citizenship, but the airlines do, so if I show up at a check in agent with my non-Canadian passport and other proof of Canadian citizenship like a citizenship card or Ontario birth certificate, and i'm traveling on a one way ticket, the check in agent is likely to refuse me boarding as I don't have the required Canadian passport to stay in Canada on a one way ticket. Even though I have CBSA accepted proof of Canadian citizenship.

This is why it is always good to keep all of your passports valid.......
Old Jul 26th 2014, 3:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
No it doesn't but the airlines like to be fussy about it and make you get a return ticket. Its a money game, and i'm sure a return ticket, whilst not required by the UKBA, would solidify the tourist's claims that he will not work/stay in the UK longer than his visa.

CBSA doesn't require a Canadian passport as proof of Canadian citizenship, but the airlines do, so if I show up at a check in agent with my non-Canadian passport and other proof of Canadian citizenship like a citizenship card or Ontario birth certificate, and i'm traveling on a one way ticket, the check in agent is likely to refuse me boarding as I don't have the required Canadian passport to stay in Canada on a one way ticket. Even though I have CBSA accepted proof of Canadian citizenship.

This is why it is always good to keep all of your passports valid.......
How come I flew from Las Vegas to Toronto last year using a Canadian airline?
Old Jul 26th 2014, 3:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

No it doesn't but the airlines like to be fussy about it and make you get a return ticket.
Airline terms and conditions generally require that documentation required by the destination country be held. They do not generally impose additional requirements, and if they try to, are holding themselves open to be sued.

That's why this talk about one way tickets is likely based on forum myth, rather than fact. Canada does not mandate return tickets either. The United States does, but only for the visa waiver program (ie, not for those with U.S. tourist visas, or Canadian passports, etc.).
Old Jul 26th 2014, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How come I flew from Las Vegas to Toronto last year using a Canadian airline?
What do you mean exactly? That's great you flew to Canada on a Canadian airline, but what do you mean, did you use a Canadian passport, US, or UK? The Canadian airlines, who know CBSA and their regulations better than the foreign airlines will tend to be a bit more lenient on the rules. I know someone whose (Canadian) passport expired while on an extended trip to see family in the US. She had flights booked with a US airline. They would not let her board. The Air Canada desk said yeah you won't have a problem, and she booked the next flight back on Air Canada.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JAJ
Airline terms and conditions generally require that documentation required by the destination country be held. They do not generally impose additional requirements, and if they try to, are holding themselves open to be sued.
I mostly agree here - but sometimes airline employees don't necessarily know the regulations of foreign countries. And by airline employees I mean the people who are at the desks issuing boarding passes.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 3:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean exactly? That's great you flew to Canada on a Canadian airline, but what do you mean, did you use a Canadian passport, US, or UK? The Canadian airlines, who know CBSA and their regulations better than the foreign airlines will tend to be a bit more lenient on the rules. I know someone whose (Canadian) passport expired while on an extended trip to see family in the US. She had flights booked with a US airline. They would not let her board. The Air Canada desk said yeah you won't have a problem, and she booked the next flight back on Air Canada.
I am not Canadian...I used my US PP to enter Canada. I simply said I was staying in Canada for a few months...before returning to the US.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I am not Canadian...I used my US PP to enter Canada. I simply said I was staying in Canada for a few months...before returning to the US.
Oh oops

For some reason I was under the impression that you were triple US/Canadian/UK.

I guess that was possible as like JAJ said Canada doesn't require return tickets.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 8:25 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

BBC looking for comments.

BBC News - Passport workers go on strike over staffing and pay
Old Jul 28th 2014, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow...... Seems like a long road for the UK gov to sorting this passport bollocks. IMO its ridiculous for a first world country to have this much chaos over passports.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 9:40 am
Just Joined

LittleJoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Made an overseas application from Australia. Received my UK passport today via DHL (7 weeks from receipt) but still waiting for the return of my Australian passport. Flying out of the country on Friday and need my Australian for the trip. Can anyone advise which courier is used to return supporting documents? Passport office only supply tracking info on the UK passport and DHL don't appear to have a second delivery on their system in my name.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 5:45 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleJoe
Made an overseas application from Australia. Received my UK passport today via DHL (7 weeks from receipt) but still waiting for the return of my Australian passport. Flying out of the country on Friday and need my Australian for the trip. Can anyone advise which courier is used to return supporting documents? Passport office only supply tracking info on the UK passport and DHL don't appear to have a second delivery on their system in my name.
DHL. Our first passport arrived and the supporting document the following day. Both with DHL. Friday, our second passport arrived, again DHL, but the supporting documents haven' t turned up yet.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by LittleJoe
For future reference, people on BE recommend that rather than including your foreign passport with your application for a UK passport, you include a photocopy of the biodata page, with a covering letter saying you need the Australian passport for traveling. Just in case this happens again in future

As for your situation, worst case scenario you travel with your UK passport to wherever you are going along with your Australian citizenship certificate. Aus customs will haggle you but I've seen people on BE get let in before with a citizenship certificate and foreign passport.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Steve Junion is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine was finally dispatched last week. I missed the courier yesterday so I guess that was my documents rather than the passport? Or do they send the docs and passport at the same time?
Old Aug 12th 2014, 7:21 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Steve Junion
Mine was finally dispatched last week. I missed the courier yesterday so I guess that was my documents rather than the passport? Or do they send the docs and passport at the same time?
No, docs are sent separately. Though they can arrive together, but in 2 envelopes.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

SKMKISS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there,
im currently in the dominican republic technically on vacation and my passport has expired..
i previously resided in canada for 5 years and havent been back to the UK since.
im planning on applying online to renew my passport and was wondering if it mattered if i gave a friend's PO BOX as the return address?? because its the DR most international post goes through Florida first and thats where his PO BOX is. from there they send it over to a local post office. He's used this method many times without problems and it would come straight to my neighbourhhod instead of going through the british embassy here.

Also, the last time i was issued a passport i was under the age of 16, a child, so this is my first adult passport, on the website it says i may have to attend an interview..im overseas, in anyones experience has an interview been neccessary?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.