Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Old Nov 20th 2013, 2:17 pm
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Falmouth, Cornwall
Posts: 432
MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

As some of you may know, all passports are no renewed directly from the IPS Centre in Durham, UK rather than through your local embassy.

I currently live on the East Coast of the USA. My passport was expiring in April 2014 so I figured I'd get it done roughly six months before just in case any emergency trips were needed back home. Plus most airlines won't let you fly internationally if you've got less than six months left before expiration... as a heads up!!

I downloaded the forms from the internet from:
https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

I got the pictures sorted and then sent off the renewal forms, my expiring UK passport, and my valid USA passport (a requirement) in a package via DHL to Durham. I sent the package off Tuesday November 5th and it arrived Thursday November 7th.

I received two packages back via DHL. The first contained my newly updated UK passport and that arrived Monday November 18th. The second package with my old cancelled UK passport and my valid USA passport arrived Tuesday November 19th.

I was quite happy with the turnaround time. The cost was much higher than going through the British Embassy previously (double actually) plus the shipping costs to get my package to the UK were also high too.

The new renewal forms require a lot of information that I don't remember having to give previously. This time I had to give both my parents' place of birth, date of birth, date of wedding and even though I have my long form birth certificate from the UK, only some of that info is on there. So if you don't already have the info to hand and you might need it in a hurry... be forewarned.

Cheers all!
MrMuffin is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2013, 2:21 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
bigglesworth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: The Charente - still smiling.
Posts: 2,624
bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Thanks for the tips!
bigglesworth is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:41 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tunbridge Wells KENT
Posts: 2,900
Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by MrMuffin View Post
As some of you may know, all passports are no renewed directly from the IPS Centre in Durham, UK rather than through your local embassy.

I currently live on the East Coast of the USA. My passport was expiring in April 2014 so I figured I'd get it done roughly six months before just in case any emergency trips were needed back home. Plus most airlines won't let you fly internationally if you've got less than six months left before expiration... as a heads up!!

I downloaded the forms from the internet from:
https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

I got the pictures sorted and then sent off the renewal forms, my expiring UK passport, and my valid USA passport (a requirement) in a package via DHL to Durham. I sent the package off Tuesday November 5th and it arrived Thursday November 7th.

I received two packages back via DHL. The first contained my newly updated UK passport and that arrived Monday November 18th. The second package with my old cancelled UK passport and my valid USA passport arrived Tuesday November 19th.

I was quite happy with the turnaround time. The cost was much higher than going through the British Embassy previously (double actually) plus the shipping costs to get my package to the UK were also high too.

The new renewal forms require a lot of information that I don't remember having to give previously. This time I had to give both my parents' place of birth, date of birth, date of wedding and even though I have my long form birth certificate from the UK, only some of that info is on there. So if you don't already have the info to hand and you might need it in a hurry... be forewarned.
SECTION 4 of the UK passport application covers applying for your FIRST adult passport, to replace lost, for a child under 16 or to extend a passport.

This is the section that needs to be filled-in ref parents and date of marriage etc. etc.

worse still:

If both parents were born after 31st December 1982 OR were born abroad, they also require full name, town, country, date of birth and date of marriage of your grandparents (or details of your parents claim to British nationality)

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 20th 2013 at 8:33 pm. Reason: fixing the quotes
Pistolpete2 is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:19 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
moggi1964's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Sale, UK
Posts: 70
moggi1964 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by MrMuffin View Post
As some of you may know, all passports are no renewed directly from the IPS Centre in Durham, UK rather than through your local embassy.

I currently live on the East Coast of the USA. My passport was expiring in April 2014 so I figured I'd get it done roughly six months before just in case any emergency trips were needed back home. Plus most airlines won't let you fly internationally if you've got less than six months left before expiration... as a heads up!!

I downloaded the forms from the internet from:
https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

I got the pictures sorted and then sent off the renewal forms, my expiring UK passport, and my valid USA passport (a requirement) in a package via DHL to Durham. I sent the package off Tuesday November 5th and it arrived Thursday November 7th.

I received two packages back via DHL. The first contained my newly updated UK passport and that arrived Monday November 18th. The second package with my old cancelled UK passport and my valid USA passport arrived Tuesday November 19th.

I was quite happy with the turnaround time. The cost was much higher than going through the British Embassy previously (double actually) plus the shipping costs to get my package to the UK were also high too.

The new renewal forms require a lot of information that I don't remember having to give previously. This time I had to give both my parents' place of birth, date of birth, date of wedding and even though I have my long form birth certificate from the UK, only some of that info is on there. So if you don't already have the info to hand and you might need it in a hurry... be forewarned.
Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 View Post
SECTION 4 of the UK passport application covers applying for your FIRST adult passport, to replace lost, for a child under 16 or to extend a passport.

This is the section that needs to be filled-in ref parents and date of marriage etc. etc.

worse still:

If both parents were born after 31st December 1982 OR were born abroad, they also require full name, town, country, date of birth and date of marriage of your grandparents (or details of your parents claim to British nationality)
If you were renewing an existing passport you did not need to fill in the parents data according to the notes I downloaded, only if you lost your passport or this was your first one or it was for a kid.

I hope I'm not wrong as my wife's passport is over there now

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 20th 2013 at 8:34 pm. Reason: fixing the quotes
moggi1964 is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:32 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tunbridge Wells KENT
Posts: 2,900
Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
If you were renewing an existing passport you did not need to fill in the parents data according to the notes I downloaded, only if you lost your passport or this was your first one or it was for a kid.

I hope I'm not wrong as my wife's passport is over there now
I think that is correct i.e. you will NOT need to complete SECTION 4.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 20th 2013 at 8:35 pm. Reason: fixing the quotes
Pistolpete2 is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2013, 5:11 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Falmouth, Cornwall
Posts: 432
MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 View Post

I think that is correct i.e. you will NOT need to complete SECTION 4.
Apologies if I led anyone up the garden path. But it's worth getting that info saved in a place where you can find it just in case...

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 20th 2013 at 8:35 pm. Reason: fixing the quotes
MrMuffin is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2013, 6:53 pm
  #7  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 17,445
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by MrMuffin View Post
Apologies if I led anyone up the garden path. But it's worth getting that info saved in a place where you can find it just in case...
Section 4 is if you are applying:

- for your first adult British passport
- to replace a British passport that has been lost, stolen or damaged
- for a British passport for a child under 16, or
- to extend a British passport.

Also if your passport expired more than ten years ago you will treated as a first timer so you will need that information then as well.
BritInParis is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2013, 8:30 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
moggi1964's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Sale, UK
Posts: 70
moggi1964 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
............

Also if your passport expired more than ten years ago you will treated as a first timer so you will need that information then as well.
Didn't know that!

All very helpful stuff in this thread.
moggi1964 is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 8:00 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Cats-R-Us's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Altiplano of Granada Province
Posts: 179
Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Just renewed our British passports. It must depend on where you live as to where you apply. We live in Spain and had to send our applications to Belfast, not Durham. The web site did state that it would take at least 4 weeks from the time they received the application, however, we posted the applications on Oct 2 and got everything back by October 22. Very good service but do agree that the price is expensive compared to applying to renew in the UK.

Last edited by Cats-R-Us; Nov 22nd 2013 at 8:03 am. Reason: addition re. cost
Cats-R-Us is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 8:17 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 113
CDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

We just got our kids their first UK passports. We were really impressed with the quick turn-around time. They received the application on Nov. 4 and we had the new passports in hand, in western Canada, on November 14. I just hope my spousal visa time will be just as fast.
CDNtoUK is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2013, 12:31 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: North East Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,684
Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

I sent mine off 12 days ago. They charged my US Mastercard within a couple of days of receiving the application. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for my new passport. It is a pain though - having to send it back to the UK - also very expensive.
Derrygal is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2013, 9:27 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 34
thekettlewitch will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by Derrygal View Post
I sent mine off 12 days ago. They charged my US Mastercard within a couple of days of receiving the application. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for my new passport. It is a pain though - having to send it back to the UK - also very expensive.
Hi Derrygal

Just an FYI time-wise. Sent a straightforward child renewal recently from Houston. Received in Durham Nov 28th, charge taken Nov 29th,new passport received today with an issue date of Dec 12th. Not too bad for a busy time of year really.

Regarding the cost, I don't really have a beef with paying a return courier fee ((it's an important document after all and I am overseas). I just wish I was able to find a service to send the application off for renewal at a comparable cost. UPS was extortionate and USPS out of the question
thekettlewitch is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2013, 8:27 am
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: bute
Posts: 9,740
scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Ever a victim of nostalgia, I am SURE it was better in the old days when the Embassy or High Commission did it all !
scot47 is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2013, 10:52 am
  #14  
Looking Around~
 
Vexcore's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: England
Posts: 1,523
Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

That's Great News!

I was also worried when i found out... now we have to send them to the UK... but i will use DHL, hope i get the passport soon!
Vexcore is offline  
Old Dec 19th 2013, 9:28 pm
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: North East Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,684
Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by thekettlewitch View Post
Hi Derrygal

Just an FYI time-wise. Sent a straightforward child renewal recently from Houston. Received in Durham Nov 28th, charge taken Nov 29th,new passport received today with an issue date of Dec 12th. Not too bad for a busy time of year really.

Regarding the cost, I don't really have a beef with paying a return courier fee ((it's an important document after all and I am overseas). I just wish I was able to find a service to send the application off for renewal at a comparable cost. UPS was extortionate and USPS out of the question
Thanks for the info. I haven't received mine back yet, although it was only sent a day or two after your child's. Hopefully it should come in the next day or two. Yes - I used UPS too - wouldn't dare trust the Post Office!!
Derrygal is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.