Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Old Jun 10th 2014, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by rebs
That's great - now look down the list of passports you can get with the service and tell me how much an adult passport is for a first time applicant, using the premium service
I truly don't care how much it is. I just need to get it.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 3:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CharlesComb
A difficult decision in life at the age of 50, but, coincidentally, I started the process yesterday.
It's not clear why it should be a difficult decision to apply for local citizenship (Polish, in your case) if you have lived in the country for a long time. It surprises me that so few look to do so, especially within the EEA states, even if they can retain British citizenship. Good luck.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 11:47 am
Just Joined

jamjax is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Not that'll be any consolation to those on here waiting but I've just renewed my passport in the UK and I though it might prove interesting compared to the overseas experience.

Given all the negative publicity regarding delays at the moment I decided to use the Fast Track service after speaking to the Passport Adviceline as I have a trip booked to Berlin in June.

I paid £111 as I opted for the 48 page 'jumbo' booklet as it was less than £10 extra compared to the 32 page regular booklet when using Fast Track (£103). This compares to £94.25 if applying via the Post Office's Check and Send service or £85.50 if applying online or by post. Fast Track guarantees your passport will arrive within a week.

I attended my appointment at Globe House next to Victoria station on Wednesday morning and my new passport has just been posted through my door so only a four day turnaround. The actual issue date was the 29th so it was turned around within 24 hours of application.
Dear BritInParis;

May I ask why you used the Fast Track Service instead of the Premium service which for only a little more, £128, you would have had your passport back in four hours instead of mailing it?

You did not say if you had it mailed to Paris or somewhere in the UK.(Though I see now that you are not in Paris on your profile.)

May I ask if you used an out of UK address on your application?

Because of all of the adverse publicity about processing delays I just booked a one day return flight to London from Geneva on Tuesday, June 17th for an appointment at Globe House.

I am wondering if I should use a UK resident person for a counter signer, required for one of the photographs, or if I need to use an out of UK person since I live in France?

The chap on the phone for my appointment this morning was quite clear that even in person with my old passport I would need one photograph countersigned.

To be fair he was very polite and unstressed, I called 15 minutes before they are listed as opening in the morning and he was unbothered about the publicity saying that they expected a rush at this time of the year and had planned for it.....

According to the website you are supposed to use someone in your location a UK, EU, or USA passport holder, though better to use UK holder, some folks on here have used other nationality passport holders for countersigning.

I was figuring to use a UK person and an old address in the UK for the application....but I don't want to run into trouble since my passport expires on June 24th, and I have travel plans for a wedding on the 25th, and have my application kicked out of the 4 hour service window for something I won't be able to fix in a day. (Yes I am officially a dope for not checking my passport sooner, thought I had another year)

So am now wondering if I should just use my French address...though I prefer not to.

This all seems much more complicated than when I renewed it in London in person for the same day service ten years ago and I don't recall there being a requirement for a counter signer for a photo when I had my old passport in hand and two photographs.

I should ask if there is any other form of ID or confirmation of address is required when you pay to use the walk in 4 hour service.

It seems the rules are changing by the day and even since I looked at this last month.

Any information would be highly appreciated since I will have to fill out the form the same morning as my appointment, oddly enough you can't download a copy of the application to do it in person from either the Passport service or the Post Office they refer you to.

In the alternative has anyone heard how this one year extension for renewal of out of country applicants announced by Theresa May yesterday would work?

What is the Home Office doing about it?
After days of pressure, Home Secretary Theresa May has now announced a series of emergency measures to try to tackle the backlog - people renewing their UK passports from overseas will be given a 12-month extension to their existing passport. Those applying for passports overseas on behalf of their children will be given emergency travel documents.

BBC News - Passport delays - what you need to know

Passport Office to get 100 more staff to cope with backlog of applications | Politics | theguardian.com

How on earth would that work for someone trying to travel on an expired passport or is it only that you can renew it a year longer after it expires.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Oldsteel is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Browsed Expats.com before but this is first-time post. We have a long-awaited (and expensive!) vacation planned to the USA West Coast, leaving Dublin on 27th June. As my wife's passport was going to be in the 6-month expiry window she sent in a renewal application on 13th May. While we were surprised that we were asked to send the application to the UK instead of the embassy in Dublin, at the time no-one was aware of any issues and the quoted turnaround time was 3 weeks. Now all hell has broken loose and last week she was told that the turnaround time is now 7 weeks, which is bang on our departure date. So what are we supposed to do now? Since the passport mess hit the headlines in the UK, the ONE advice line is permanently unavailable (not even a queue, just a 'call later' message). The embassy in Dublin is specifically refusing to discuss anything to do with passports. I wonder, are there any readers in Ireland who are or have recently renewed a passport. How long did it take? Is it worth travelling to the UK (it is not far after all) and following the 'emergency replace stolen passport' track, as we no longer have the original? We have 2 weeks now exactly, and I want to do something if I can. Any advice or comments gratefully received!
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oldsteel
Browsed Expats.com before but this is first-time post. We have a long-awaited (and expensive!) vacation planned to the USA West Coast, leaving Dublin on 27th June. As my wife's passport was going to be in the 6-month expiry window she sent in a renewal application on 13th May. While we were surprised that we were asked to send the application to the UK instead of the embassy in Dublin, at the time no-one was aware of any issues and the quoted turnaround time was 3 weeks. Now all hell has broken loose and last week she was told that the turnaround time is now 7 weeks, which is bang on our departure date. So what are we supposed to do now? Since the passport mess hit the headlines in the UK, the ONE advice line is permanently unavailable (not even a queue, just a 'call later' message). The embassy in Dublin is specifically refusing to discuss anything to do with passports. I wonder, are there any readers in Ireland who are or have recently renewed a passport. How long did it take? Is it worth travelling to the UK (it is not far after all) and following the 'emergency replace stolen passport' track, as we no longer have the original? We have 2 weeks now exactly, and I want to do something if I can. Any advice or comments gratefully received!
They have just issued some new guidelines about the extra measures they are taking -

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a...assport-demand

Now, the one situation it does not seem to cover is that of ex-pats who have already sent off for renewal and have been waiting a long time, but it might be worth calling to see if you can get that free upgrade to premium processing which is available for those in the UK (since you are so nearby). I think that is what I would do if I were in your situation
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Oldsteel

Don't know if you have reported it yet but here is the link:

https://www.gov.uk/report-a-lost-or-stolen-passport

Considering the delays right now you might be better off trying to get it in Belfast...but it does not appear you can use the premium one day service if it is lost.

Worth a call to the number below they were actually in Belfast when I called this morning for an appointment next Tuesday June 17th,and quite helpful. Good luck.

Be sure to have everything you need including a countersigned photo, necessary for a lost passport replacement, by a UK or EU passport holder that has known your wife for two plus years. it is not clear if a spouse can countersign.

Book an appointment
Call the Passport Adviceline to book an appointment at a Passport Customer Service Centre.

Your appointment may be up to 3 weeks from the day you book it.

Passport Adviceline
Telephone: 0300 222 0000
Textphone: 0300 222 0222
Text Relay: 18001 0300 222 0000
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm
Find out about call charges

You can use the online enquiry form for general advice but it can’t be used to book appointments.

Premium 1-day service
The service is available for appointments before 11am on Saturdays, and on weekdays before:

4pm in London
1:30pm in Liverpool
1pm in Peterborough
12:30pm in Glasgow and Newport
midday in Belfast and Durham
You must arrive no more than 10 minutes before your appointment.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

johno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant future

They have just issued some new guidelines about the extra measures they are taking -

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a...assport-demand

Now, the one situation it does not seem to cover is that of ex-pats who have already sent off for renewal and have been waiting a long time, but it might be worth calling to see if you can get that free upgrade to premium processing which is available for those in the UK (since you are so nearby). I think that is what I would do if I were in your situation
Yep can now get it for free if you can prove the delay is not your fault
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johno5175
Yep can now get it for free if you can prove the delay is not your fault
I wonder if this would help me in my situation. Ten-year expired old blue passport - sent in app and paid for it a month ago. Have supporting documents ready to send. I need my passport back promptly and so I held on to the supporting documents and was getting ready to present my expired passport upon arrival in the UK. However, if there is a chance I can renew this passport and get it back in about a month, I will go ahead and send it in and wait here until I get it.

I don't see anything in these new procedures to help me, though.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

That's great - now look down the list of passports you can get with the service and tell me how much an adult passport is for a first time applicant, using the premium service
You can't use premium service for first time applications...it is only for renewals

[B]Choose the service you want to use
You can’t use these services if you’re applying online or for certain types of passport - eg a first adult passport.[
/B]

Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:41 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I wonder if this would help me in my situation. Ten-year expired old blue passport - sent in app and paid for it a month ago. Have supporting documents ready to send. I need my passport back promptly and so I held on to the supporting documents and was getting ready to present my expired passport upon arrival in the UK. However, if there is a chance I can renew this passport and get it back in about a month, I will go ahead and send it in and wait here until I get it.

The fast track processing is only available for people who are resident in the UK and planning to travel in the next 7 days.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks JohnO and Rebs for that news. The challenge will be to get through on the adviceline but it is encouraging that they are ploughing in some extra resources. It seems public anger does elicit a response sometimes! I will post on our progress next week.

I work in IT, and it seems to me that the government, whilst they are to be congratulated for modernising the service, have fallen into the trap that many businesses do. Sold an IT investment (typically online-everything centralised-service) they believe in the cost savings and efficiencies the new service will bring. But they fail to realise the transition from the previous service to the new one will take extra staff for an extended period of time, no new project as big as this will be without unforeseen problems. The cuts in staff and service are implemented at the same time as the new system is introduced, and the result is pain for everyone. I don't believe Teresa May when she says that the current demand for passports is at an unprecedented level. What she means is that all those passports previously processed by embassies around the world are now coming to one place, and that place is now busier than ever before! Well what a surprise.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

johno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by windsong

I may be wrong but i think your passport has expired *esp 10 years so you would not qualify for an extension as it is game over already. You will be treated as a first time applicant so the special measures do not apply. ALthough you could always apply for an ETD. No harm in trying.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by johno5175
I may be wrong but i think your passport has expired *esp 10 years so you would not qualify for an extension as it is game over already. You will be treated as a first time applicant so the special measures do not apply. ALthough you could always apply for an ETD. No harm in trying.
That's what I thought. I already inquired about an ETD but they won't do it if your passport expired more than 10 years ago.

Anyway, I wonder how these new procedures will impact the backlog and new applications coming through. Will they also still take three months?
Old Jun 13th 2014, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jamjax
Don't know if you have reported it yet but here is the link:

https://www.gov.uk/report-a-lost-or-stolen-passport

Considering the delays right now you might be better off trying to get it in Belfast...but it does not appear you can use the premium one day service if it is lost.

Worth a call to the number below they were actually in Belfast when I called this morning for an appointment next Tuesday June 17th,and quite helpful. Good luck.

Be sure to have everything you need including a countersigned photo, necessary for a lost passport replacement, by a UK or EU passport holder that has known your wife for two plus years. A relative or spouse can not countersign a photograph.

Book an appointment
Call the Passport Adviceline to book an appointment at a Passport Customer Service Centre.

Your appointment may be up to 3 weeks from the day you book it.

Passport Adviceline
Telephone: 0300 222 0000
Textphone: 0300 222 0222
Text Relay: 18001 0300 222 0000
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm
Find out about call charges

You can use the online enquiry form for general advice but it can’t be used to book appointments.

Premium 1-day service
The service is available for appointments before 11am on Saturdays, and on weekdays before:

4pm in London
1:30pm in Liverpool
1pm in Peterborough
12:30pm in Glasgow and Newport
midday in Belfast and Durham
You must arrive no more than 10 minutes before your appointment.

Just to reiterate a family member can't countersign photos.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Quick update here on my options. Spoke a few times to the advice line, Irish applications are dealt with in Liverpool and they sent an email to them to track the application and they said they would call us within 3 working days, which takes us to Wednesday and 6 working days left before we need to depart for USA. They also said processing time is now minimum 6 weeks (3 weeks was stated when we applied). Spoke to embassy in Dublin who said the 12 month extension can only be done if current passport is presented, so that is out as current passport is in Liverpool. They did offer to issue an ETD as other posts have suggested but on consultation with US embassy that would also require a US Visa to enter the US. The US Visa application process is tortuous, both would require visits to embassies, appointments and minimum 3 days processing time, needless to say also costs. ETD is £95. Route for stolen passport option from Belfast processing time would be too long (premium service not available currently). So only route is to prevail upon Liverpool when they call and hope for the best, otherwise reschedule vacation with some (limited) help in costs using travel insurance cover

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.