Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Old Jun 9th 2014, 8:06 am
Just Joined

britinegypt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

11 weeks, and no further on.... e-mail to my MP no reply, e-mail to the consul in Egypt no reply..
complete shambles..
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CharlesComb
Hi, although I'm a long-term ex-pat, I am new to this forum and I just wanted to share my desultory expereince of trying to renew my passport.

The last time I did so, it was through the Consultar section here in Warsaw and it was a breeze. Two days after handing in my application form, i returned and collected my new passport.

The current system has therefore come as a shock and a disappointment, not to say a raging inconveninence. I applied for my replacement passport at the tail end of April and my old one was delivered to the UK office by courier on 12th May. At the time, the webpage indicated a three-week processing time.

Now, four weeks later, there is no progress. The ludicrous website states that it is being "processed" and my telephone and email enquiries to the helpless helpdesk this week achieved absolutely nothing.

I travel(led) extensively for my job and my host country requires that I have a form of identification, in the event that I am challenged. My business is now increasingly handicapped by my inability to travel.

However, none of this is of the least interest to the UK Passport Service. I made my first enquiry on Monday this week, some 24 hours longer ago than the 72 hours they graciously give themselves for consideration of enquiries. No response.

The most irritating part is the helplessness and the fact that there is no contact with the office actually responsible for the prcedure. There is no point in railing against the poor saps sitting on the helplines - they are clearly as helpless as the applicant is.

What a ludicrous situation, what an abysmal service and what a disgraceful way to for a country to treat its citizens abroad.

Is there any option to become a Polish citizen? (which would give you entitlement to a Polish passport and ID card).

There's probably a processing time, etc, and in that case, it won't help you short term. Next time. But perhaps investigate the pros and cons, especially if you see your future in Poland? As far as I know, you would not have to renounce British citizenship.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:18 am
Just Joined

deelink is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deelink
Charles C - I am in a similar situation to you - feeling frustrated and helpless. On Monday I will have been waiting 12 weeks. I have found it virtually impossible to get any kind of information with regard to the progress of my passport through the system.
[/I]

11 weeks and counting I just got an email telling me they have a query and are sending me a letter giving me the direct phone number of the person dealing with my application. A letter.... (and Australia Post is in crisis - axing 900 jobs with prospect of bi weekly delivery!!!) Why couldn't they send me an email!!
Maybe we should send the 900 people who wont have jobs with Australia Post over to the UK to give them a hand.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:55 am
Just Joined

CharlesComb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is there any option to become a Polish citizen? (which would give you entitlement to a Polish passport and ID card).

There's probably a processing time, etc, and in that case, it won't help you short term. Next time. But perhaps investigate the pros and cons, especially if you see your future in Poland? As far as I know, you would not have to renounce British citizenship.
A difficult decision in life at the age of 50, but, coincidentally, I started the process yesterday.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

simonb9 is an unknown quantity at this point

What an interesting thread !! New to this forum as i was doing a bit of research about renewing my passport and this thread came up. My current problem is -

I have been travelling for a while and will do so until Christmas at the earliest. My current passport expires mid april 2015 but as you have to have at least 6 months left on your passport before you enter a country i have to either -

1) enter a new country mid october and hopefully get a 60 day visa, return to UK at Xmas and get a new passport.
2) try to renew my passport abroad whilst currently in Asia.

Problem with option 2 is that it says that it can take 'at least' 6 weeks to get a new passport so can't go to some places who only issue a 30 day entry visa. Problem with some countries is that whilst i might be able to get a 60 day visa some horror stories i've recently discovered say it can take anywhere between 8-11 weeks to get it back !! Sounds like the passport issuing office in Durham is in turmoil. This would obviously leave me in a country without a passport and unable to leave.

Would it just be easier to go home earlier and get a new passport i wonder ?!
Old Jun 10th 2014, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonb9
What an interesting thread !! New to this forum as i was doing a bit of research about renewing my passport and this thread came up. My current problem is -

I have been travelling for a while and will do so until Christmas at the earliest. My current passport expires mid april 2015 but as you have to have at least 6 months left on your passport before you enter a country i have to either -

1) enter a new country mid october and hopefully get a 60 day visa, return to UK at Xmas and get a new passport.

Problem with option 2 is that it says that it can take 'at least' 6 weeks to get a new passport so can't go to some places who only issue a 30 day entry visa. Problem with some countries is that whilst i might be able to get a 60 day visa some horror stories i've recently discovered say it can take anywhere between 8-11 weeks to get it back !! Sounds like the passport issuing office in Durham is in turmoil. This would obviously leave me in a country without a passport and unable to leave.

Some have had to wait 20 weeks to get their passport renewed. It's disgraceful.

IMHO, if the UK doesn't very quickly rectify this horrendous situation and revert to allowing expats to renew their UK passports in their present country of residence - and quickly - all sorts of horrible situations are going to arise. I can just see it happening, if it hasn't already.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by simonb9

Without a shadow of a doubt, your best option is to return to the UK and pay for the Premium service for a same day passport. It is the only way to ensure that you do not get caught up in the catastrophe of the regional offices.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CharlesComb
Without a shadow of a doubt, your best option is to return to the UK and pay for the Premium service for a same day passport. It is the only way to ensure that you do not get caught up in the catastrophe of the regional offices.
Just thinking about this in my own case . . .

If I were to make a special flight to the UK simply to get my passport renewed, additional flight costs aside, how much does it cost to get my passport renewed the same day? (I have already applied and paid online but circumstances have changed and I need it instantly.)
Old Jun 10th 2014, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Just thinking about this in my own case . . .

If I were to make a special flight to the UK simply to get my passport renewed, additional flight costs aside, how much does it cost to get my passport renewed the same day? (I have already applied and paid online but circumstances have changed and I need it instantly.)
I don't believe you can use the premium service as your expired passport is an old blue one, so as far as the passport service is concerned you are applying for your first passport, rather than renewal.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebs
I don't believe you can use the premium service as your expired passport is an old blue one, so as far as the passport service is concerned you are applying for your first passport, rather than renewal.

Gosh, I thought I could do this within the UK in person - the same day or at least within a couple of days. I am aware I can't do this by mail.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

or indeed on an expired passport at all.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, I thought I could do this within the UK in person - the same day or at least within a couple of days. I am aware I can't do this by mail.
Take a look at the official details yourself, as I could well be misinterpreting.

The page about the premium service says 'You can’t use these services if you’re applying online or for certain types of passport - eg a first adult passport.'

The way I read it - you have an old blue passport, which cannot be renewed - you have to apply as a first time applicant. https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...notes_4_14.pdf

That's how I read the details - what do you think?
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

simonb9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like you have to make an appointment which can be up to 3 weeks too !!
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Take a look at the official details yourself, as I could well be misinterpreting.

The page about the premium service says 'You can’t use these services if you’re applying online or for certain types of passport - eg a first adult passport.'

The way I read it - you have an old blue passport, which cannot be renewed - you have to apply as a first time applicant. https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...notes_4_14.pdf

That's how I read the details - what do you think?
I would be applying in person if I flew to the UK to do it - not online. Maybe I am misreading it . . .
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

I would be applying in person if I flew to the UK to do it - not online.
That's great - now look down the list of passports you can get with the service and tell me how much an adult passport is for a first time applicant, using the premium service

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.