British citizenship by double descent - Do I qualify?

Old Aug 7th 2019, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Roach is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British citizenship by double descent - Do I qualify?

Originally Posted by RosalindJane
Update: I heard last week that my application was approved. Thanks all for the input! It was very helpful!
Hi RosalindJane (or anyone else that may be able to help),
Hoping you could answer some questions for me if possible:
1) How long did it take before you received any confirmation from the Home Office that your (posted) paperwork /documents had been received? I paid the UKM online fee and submitted online (27 May 2019), and then couriered all the documents 3 June 2019. I am a bit concerned as I have not received a single bit of correspondence (or confirmation of posted document receipt), other than an email i received on the date of payment saying that the online application had been received.
2) RSA Home affairs dual citizenship notification, once you submit the form to home affairs - how do they send you notification that your request has been approved? Is this something they post or do they give you some sort of receipt at home affairs?
Thanks for your help
Old Aug 7th 2019, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Gildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - it seems you applied directly yourself and didn't go through an agency?

Are you able to advise on my queries above?
Old Aug 8th 2019, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

JoanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Roach
1) How long did it take before you received any confirmation from the Home Office that your (posted) paperwork /documents had been received? I paid the UKM online fee and submitted online (27 May 2019), and then couriered all the documents 3 June 2019. I am a bit concerned as I have not received a single bit of correspondence (or confirmation of posted document receipt), other than an email i received on the date of payment saying that the online application had been received.
2) RSA Home affairs dual citizenship notification, once you submit the form to home affairs - how do they send you notification that your request has been approved? Is this something they post or do they give you some sort of receipt at home affairs?
Thanks for your help
Hi Roach
i received an automated email from UKVI a day or two after I submitted, followed by a request for biometrics. After that, nothing until I got an approval letter 2 months later. Our processes all seem to differ. On another forum there were one or two people who hadn’t heard anything about their biometrics and they contacted this email address. [email protected].
I don’t know if it would work out for you, but why not try? Good luck.
you need to get your retention I’d SA citizenship before you attend your British citizenship ceremony. So plenty of time but you should follow up with them. Some people get theirs within a week, I had to visit the DoHA several times. Applied in March and received it in June.
hope that helps
Old Aug 8th 2019, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roach
Thanks for your help
1. They do not consistently offer a response. For some applicants, an email is sent. For others, like me, there was absolutely no acknowledgment that they received the documents. I had to ask by email, about 2-3 weeks later, in order to receive confirmation. I just had the Fedex delivery confirmation, that is all.

Old Aug 10th 2019, 5:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gildies
Morning,

I am currently investigating the process and documents required to submit an application to register for British Citizenship via “double descent”, using the UKM form.
It seems that before one even fills in this form, one has several tasks to complete:

1. Make an appointment with the British Consulate:

Is this to obtain a Letter / Certificate on Non-Acquisition from the UK Home Office (confirming that you have not yet acquired British nationality) or is it a letter confirming that the British government has no objection to dual nationality?

2. South African Home Affairs:

Take this letter to the Home Affairs and submit an application to retain ones South African Citizenship.

Only on receipt of this approval letter from Home Affairs, can one fill in the UKM form and submit with the various supporting documents to the British Consulate.

Out of interest, have any South Africans submitted this UKM application themselves, as opposed to going through the various agencies?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Sorry - I was doing some further research and found the application form NQ on the GOV.UK website.

Does anyone know if this needs to be completed for the application to the South African Home Affairs - when applying to retain ones South African Citizenship - and if it is required, is it a separate online application?

(not done through the appointment made at the British Consulate)

My understanding is that Form NQ is not required by the South African authorities.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 6:04 am
Just Joined

Gildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you BIP.
And your view / experience on unabridged versus vault copies of birth certificates?

(I would have thought either would suffice)
Old Aug 15th 2019, 7:42 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you BIP.
And your view / experience on unabridged versus vault copies of birth certificates?

(I would have thought either would suffice)
I would concur.
Old Aug 20th 2019, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks JoanM, appreciate the response. Still no luck but have sent an email to the address you suggested. Will let you know how it goes.
Cheers
Old Aug 20th 2019, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks I have sent a mail to this address [email protected].
Will let you know how it goes.
Old Aug 20th 2019, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Hi Gildies, yes I applied on my own. Unfortunately not much to report back though.
Old Sep 14th 2019, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

sarahjvdm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Potentially many tens of thousands. I'd be very interested to hear back from a poster about their experience if they are successful in making an application.
hi there

Both my grandmothers were British and married South African men. My mother was born to her British mother in South Africa in 1947 and my father to his British mother in 1954. I was born in 1977 to my parents. Would I possibly qualify for British citizenship via double descent?
Old Sep 14th 2019, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by sarahjvdm
hi there

Both my grandmothers were British and married South African men. My mother was born to her British mother in South Africa in 1947 and my father to his British mother in 1954. I was born in 1977 to my parents. Would I possibly qualify for British citizenship via double descent?
Did either of your parents hold British passports?
Old Sep 15th 2019, 5:52 am
Just Joined

No they don’t but my father is going to apply now. My mother has died but she didn’t have one
Old Sep 15th 2019, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by sarahjvdm
No they don’t but my father is going to apply now. My mother has died but she didn’t have one
Is he planning on registering himself as a citizen first?
Old Sep 16th 2019, 4:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Is he planning on registering himself as a citizen first?
yes he is planning on trying he’s dealing through immigration consultants in the U.K.
1. Do you think he might have a chance of success?
2. Do you think I should wait for him or carry on with my own application?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.