British citizenship by double descent - Do I qualify?

Old Oct 7th 2019, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Roach is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British citizenship by double descent - Do I qualify?

Originally Posted by Roach
Thanks I have sent a mail to this address [email protected].
Will let you know how it goes.
Just quick update, I have received my request for Bio-metric Enrollment (via email from UK Home Office), so now have to do this within 30 days. I am however, having an issue with Home Affairs (RSA). You need to submit B-1664 (retention of Citizenship) and BI-529 (Determination of Citizenship Status) in order to hold Dual Citizenship. On various websites (some governmental) it says that these forms can be submitted at ANY RSA Home Affairs branch, however here in KZN they are saying that it can only be submitted at certain offices (eg Umgeni Road, Durban which has massive queues). You only find this out after doing the time in the queue. I have tried 3 times so far with no success.
Will update as things progress.
Cheers
Old Oct 9th 2019, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Lizzie84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just quick update, I have received my request for Bio-metric Enrollment (via email from UK Home Office), so now have to do this within 30 days. I am however, having an issue with Home Affairs (RSA). You need to submit B-1664 (retention of Citizenship) and BI-529 (Determination of Citizenship Status) in order to hold Dual Citizenship. On various websites (some governmental) it says that these forms can be submitted at ANY RSA Home Affairs branch, however here in KZN they are saying that it can only be submitted at certain offices (eg Umgeni Road, Durban which has massive queues). You only find this out after doing the time in the queue. I have tried 3 times so far with no success.
Will update as things progress.
Cheers
Hi Roach

That sounds like such a PITA. For what it's worth, I believe you have until your ceremony to apply to retain your citizenship, as until the ceremony you are technically not British. Might be worth a road trip to a DHA in a neighbouring province. Just phone whichever branch you want to go to first to make sure you have precisely what they want in the exact format they want it.

When I went to apply to retain they refused to accept my application because my letter from the consulate (random internet download) was not stamped So now I have to wait until I go to Cape Town for my summer holiday to get a stamped copy of the letter from the consulate.

Luckily I only just received my biometrics letter today so I think I still have some time.
Old Oct 10th 2019, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lizzie84
Hi Roach

That sounds like such a PITA. For what it's worth, I believe you have until your ceremony to apply to retain your citizenship, as until the ceremony you are technically not British. Might be worth a road trip to a DHA in a neighbouring province. Just phone whichever branch you want to go to first to make sure you have precisely what they want in the exact format they want it.

When I went to apply to retain they refused to accept my application because my letter from the consulate (random internet download) was not stamped So now I have to wait until I go to Cape Town for my summer holiday to get a stamped copy of the letter from the consulate.

Luckily I only just received my biometrics letter today so I think I still have some time.
Thanks - I may see if the Home Office will delay the ceremony until I have the RSA Home Affairs issue sorted. Do you know what the form from the consulate is called? This Western Cape website only says you need BI-1664 and BI-529. https://www.westerncape.gov.za/gener...nd-citizenship
Old Oct 10th 2019, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Lizzie84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks - I may see if the Home Office will delay the ceremony until I have the RSA Home Affairs issue sorted. Do you know what the form from the consulate is called? This Western Cape website only says you need BI-1664 and BI-529. https://www.westerncape.gov.za/gener...nd-citizenship
I honestly think what you need depends on the mood of the person you are dealing with on the day. I am in the Eastern Cape. This is what I needed to take:

BI-1664
DHA-529
ID (original and 2 colour copies)
Passport (original and 2 colour copies of the page with your photo and every page with a stamp)
Marriage certificate (original and 2 colour copies)
Spouse's Identity Document (original and 2 colour copies)
Affidavit stating that you do not currently hold any other citizenship (probably best to double check the exact wording they want)
This letter from the consulate stating that you are permitted to hold dual citizenship (and they refused to accept mine because it had not been stamped!!)
R300

But you might have a different list in your city, so probably best to call first.

I think most people wait a few weeks for their ceremony, so you're probably fine.

Old Oct 14th 2019, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lizzie84
I honestly think what you need depends on the mood of the person you are dealing with on the day. I am in the Eastern Cape. This is what I needed to take:

BI-1664
DHA-529
ID (original and 2 colour copies)
Passport (original and 2 colour copies of the page with your photo and every page with a stamp)
Marriage certificate (original and 2 colour copies)
Spouse's Identity Document (original and 2 colour copies)
Affidavit stating that you do not currently hold any other citizenship (probably best to double check the exact wording they want)
This letter from the consulate stating that you are permitted to hold dual citizenship (and they refused to accept mine because it had not been stamped!!)
R300

But you might have a different list in your city, so probably best to call first.

I think most people wait a few weeks for their ceremony, so you're probably fine.

Thanks Lizzie,
Very useful information. I will try again this week.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Lizzie,
Very useful information. I will try again this week.
Quick update. I went to Home Affairs today and managed to get the application submitted. I went to the Umgeni Road Branch in Durban (Main Office), KZN. The citizenship queue wasn't long, which was a bonus (it is in the same office block as marriage, so no need for the lengthy queues as per ID and Passports). Bongi helped me and she was really good.
A few notes:
1) According to the HA, the "retention of citizenship" applications can only be submitted to a "Large" office and not a medium or small office as per their office listing on the HoA website (Department of Home Affairs - Kwazulu-Natal Province). They will give you the forms there so don't bother downloading them and filling them in before hand
2) Documents Required (black and white copies were fine)
  • Passport and copy (just main page with photo)
  • ID card and copy
  • Unabridged Birth Certificate and Copy (you will need this for the UKM application so should have this already)- this is a long lead item from Home Affairs if you don't have it.
  • Marriage Certificate and copy (note you need one that is printed by home affairs and looks like your birth certificate, not the hand written one that the marriage official gives you on your wedding day). I did not need an unabridged version (so they were kind enough to process my marriage certificate application right there and print me the original and a copy). It cost R20
  • Spouse ID and Copy
  • Affidavit signed at a police station + copy. You basically hand write an affidavit at the police station (on a SAPS form which they stamp and sign).
    • This affidavit serves to confirm that I am X (ID XXX) and that I was born in X, South Africa. I am a South African citizen (Passport Number X), and I do not hold citizenship with any other country. Through a recent change in United Kingdom Laws, I am now able to qualify for British Citizenship through double descent. I wish to retain my South Africa citizenship in the event that my British Citizenship application is successful (i.e. retention of South African Citizenship). Signed X
  • R300 processing fee
The official said that my letter will be ready in two weeks, so holding thumbs. Next on the list- UK bio-metrics capture [END]
Old Feb 11th 2020, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Hi All, I had my biometrics captured, and had my citizenship ceremony last week! Based on BritinParis's advice, I have undertaken the process on my own without an agent. So thanks for all the assistance everyone!
Final hurdle- Passport Application. I have just paid the online passport application fee, had my ID confirmed by a UK resident, and had a look at the supporting documents that i need to be submit. All looks fairly straight forward with the exception of having to send my current RSA passport as part of the application. I was a bit concerned about its return, so i phoned the passport office in Durham. The chap on the phone said that the return courier costs (door to door) are covered in the application fee, however as i am applying from RSA, I would need to also send original copies of my parents birth and marriage certs (which is not indicated as required documents in terms of the online application process). I think they may be applying a general rule here (not in reference to the Double Decent application ). When i told him that parents birth cers and marriage certs are not included in the list online, he checked with his manager and they confirmed that i have to submit those docs. Can anyone confirm which docs they couriered to the UK for the passport applications (specifically parent birth and marriage certs)? I don't have unabridged copies of my fathers birth certificate (RSA citizen with no ties to the UK) which could delay things significantly...
Thanks!
Old Feb 12th 2020, 8:08 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn’t need to send your parents’ certificates with your application if you’re a British citizen by registration and you are only required to send a photocopy of your South African passport.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 3:32 pm
PPK
Just Joined

PPK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am a new arrival to this thread
I have been spending long lock down hours trying to research double descent for my daughter
the immigration lawyer route is expensive and I am not sure if I need them, so some help would be great.
My parents were both born in the UK and were UK citizens living in South Africa (now deceased )
I have a British passport and also lived and worked in the UK from 1980-1989, now I would like to
apply for citizenship for my 15 year old daughter.
Thanks
Old Apr 30th 2020, 5:05 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PPK
Hi I am a new arrival to this thread
I have been spending long lock down hours trying to research double descent for my daughter
the immigration lawyer route is expensive and I am not sure if I need them, so some help would be great.
My parents were both born in the UK and were UK citizens living in South Africa (now deceased )
I have a British passport and also lived and worked in the UK from 1980-1989, now I would like to
apply for citizenship for my 15 year old daughter.
Thanks
I take it you and your daughter were both born in South Africa? What is your year of birth?
Old Apr 30th 2020, 6:21 pm
PPK
Just Joined

Yes we are both born in South Africa
me 1953
daughter 2004
Old Apr 30th 2020, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by PPK
Yes we are both born in South Africa
me 1953
daughter 2004
Were you married to your daughter’s mother at the time of her birth?
Old May 1st 2020, 5:54 am
PPK
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Were you married to your daughter’s mother at the time of her birth?
yes and still married
Old May 1st 2020, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by PPK
yes and still married
In that case you should register your daughter as a British citizen on the basis you are a British citizen by descent and lived in the UK for three consecutive years prior to her birth. You need to do this before she turns 18. The application form you’ll need is Form MN1. There are online and paper versions. The online version can be found here: https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/product/mn1

NB: Your daughter won’t be able to repeat this process for the next generation so any children she has will either need to be born in the UK or have a British-born parent in order to be automatically British.
Old May 1st 2020, 5:27 pm
PPK
Just Joined

Thanks again for the advice, how hard is it to submit the MN1 info and documents required. Do I need to hire an immigration agency
or is it fairly basic.
Do I need to prove that I lived in UK for 3 years and if so will my National Insurance payments be enough proof.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.