Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

7 weeks and headed home :***(

7 weeks and headed home :***(

Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:13 pm
  #16  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Cochrane, Alberta
Posts: 300
LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

I am sorry to hear of all your troubles.
I agree with the others,if DH isnt working at themoment,or work is minimal,can you not get a job to fit around his shifts,or work evenings and weekends?
I would do everything you can to try and stay, cos as you say its cost you a lot to get over here, and even more to get back.
There just has to be a way to make it work, to give it a realgood try.
I hope it all works out for you.
x
LucyLovelock is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:20 pm
  #17  
Island life at last
 
helcat12's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: BC
Posts: 2,715
helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

I am sorry that you are in this situation but I looked back at some of your previous posts and I see that you do have at least some assets that could be liquidated very quickly and easily;

"Photos of jewellery???!!!! Gulp! I have a rather extensive collection three days may not be enough! I have valuations etc

Question about "used prior to emigration" what about Christmas pressure, dh has bought me a ring but it's off being resized and won't be ready in time(despite me telling them the deadline was set in stone, and why!) I haven't actually "used" it yet, how do I get round that? "


You then go on to say this ring is a 5 carat ruby.
Maybe some of this jewellery could be sold to secure the future of your family in Canada?
Gold is at a high price at the moment and you should get a good price.
Or you could pawn the pieces to create some cash flow and then redeem them when the money situation is better.

I know this is a hard thing to do but maybe it is worth it to save all the heartache and disruption of going back to the UK.
helcat12 is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:57 pm
  #18  
BE Forum Addict
 
YYZlover's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto - I belong there.
Posts: 2,251
YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Originally Posted by __TJ__
1. yes i have a SOWP but we have three kids so childcare would cost more than id earn even with the older two in school.
2. he can only work for the one company,
Ok, so let me get this straight. You have a SOWP so you could take any job. Your hubby can only work for one employer, who is currently NOT giving him any hours so he has one option - sit around and twiddle thumbs.

What exactly is the issue with looking after the kids? Why would child care be needed?
YYZlover is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:21 pm
  #19  
Sawdust making harpy
 
mandymoochops's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Alberta
Posts: 11,291
mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Originally Posted by YYZlover
Ok, so let me get this straight. You have a SOWP so you could take any job. Your hubby can only work for one employer, who is currently NOT giving him any hours so he has one option - sit around and twiddle thumbs.

What exactly is the issue with looking after the kids? Why would child care be needed?
I think from what I understand it would be if the employer all of a sudden gives hubby some hours and then they are up shit creek regading childcare.

I still stand by the "get a job in the evenings" advice.
mandymoochops is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:30 pm
  #20  
BE Forum Addict
 
YYZlover's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto - I belong there.
Posts: 2,251
YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I think from what I understand it would be if the employer all of a sudden gives hubby some hours and then they are up shit creek regading childcare.

I still stand by the "get a job in the evenings" advice.
If they know business is slow dec through feb for hubby's job then why not get any job available on the SOWP?

I do see your point though so getting an evening job makes sense.
YYZlover is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:31 pm
  #21  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 88,099
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Originally Posted by helcat12
I am sorry that you are in this situation but I looked back at some of your previous posts and I see that you do have at least some assets that could be liquidated very quickly and easily;

"Photos of jewellery???!!!! Gulp! I have a rather extensive collection three days may not be enough! I have valuations etc

Question about "used prior to emigration" what about Christmas pressure, dh has bought me a ring but it's off being resized and won't be ready in time(despite me telling them the deadline was set in stone, and why!) I haven't actually "used" it yet, how do I get round that? "


You then go on to say this ring is a 5 carat ruby.
Maybe some of this jewellery could be sold to secure the future of your family in Canada?
Gold is at a high price at the moment and you should get a good price.
Or you could pawn the pieces to create some cash flow and then redeem them when the money situation is better.

I know this is a hard thing to do but maybe it is worth it to save all the heartache and disruption of going back to the UK.
A 5 carat ruby must be worth a few bob...that's some rock. The OP's hubby bought a 5 carat ruby ring that required sizing before Christmas but they can't pull together $5K a month or so later.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:35 pm
  #22  
Sawdust making harpy
 
mandymoochops's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Alberta
Posts: 11,291
mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A 5 carat ruby must be worth a few bob...that's some rock. The OP's hubby bought a 5 carat ruby ring that required sizing before Christmas but they can't pull together $5K a month or so later.
Yup on second thoughts sod getting a job - flog the ring
mandymoochops is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:40 pm
  #23  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 88,099
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Yup on second thoughts sod getting a job - flog the ring
Rubies that size are rare...so yeah I'd certainly flog the rock.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:53 pm
  #24  
Sawdust making harpy
 
mandymoochops's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Alberta
Posts: 11,291
mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

sorry op this probably isn't helping. In a roundabout way we are saying if you all love it that much then you will make the sacrifices to stay. your hubby must be feeling pretty crappy with all the weight on his shoulders - you should step in aand at least try and take some of the burden from him.
mandymoochops is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 4:00 pm
  #25  
Island life at last
 
helcat12's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: BC
Posts: 2,715
helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
sorry op this probably isn't helping. In a roundabout way we are saying if you all love it that much then you will make the sacrifices to stay. your hubby must be feeling pretty crappy with all the weight on his shoulders - you should step in aand at least try and take some of the burden from him.
Too right.
Being the man of the house with three kids, a wife and a dog relying on your salary and not being able to earn any after coming all that way must be awfully stressful, demoralising and upsetting for the husband.

He needs support and now is the time for everyone to pitch in and do what they can in the household to keep costs down and get income up if you all want to stay.

Even if you do go back to the UK, he has no job there either, so that isn't exactly a great option.
TJ also mentions being "up to the eyeballs" in debt if they go back to England, so it seems to me that going back is going to be just as hard as staying.
helcat12 is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 5:23 pm
  #26  
slanderer of the innocent
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 6,695
ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Good idea about Tims etc Moo. Also Makkers does 24 hours now. Min wage but would come with health benefits etc. so would def. help.

Someone I know works @ Thrifty food around school hours (this is Burnaby/Coquitlam area). Then you'd only have to find daycare for the littlest. Makkers also offers flexible shifts like that - tehy're always looking for mums at my local one. Just a thought.....

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jan 23rd 2012 at 5:26 pm.
ExKiwilass is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 5:28 pm
  #27  
Sawdust making harpy
 
mandymoochops's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Alberta
Posts: 11,291
mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Good idea about Tims etc Moo. Also Makkers does 24 hours now. Min wage but would come with health benefits etc. so would def. help.

Someone I know works @ Thrifty food around school hours. Then you'd only have to find daycare for the littlest. Makkers also offers flexible shifts like that - tehy're always looking for mums at my local one. Just a thought...
there's also 7/11's you could be a gas station person (though there's the whole chance of getting robbed thing) - bbut ultimately it's money in the bank when you need it. It certainly does seem easier to stay and try and work through it - especially as the kids are loving it.

Don't give up- you know they say god hates a coward!!!!!
mandymoochops is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 5:30 pm
  #28  
slanderer of the innocent
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 6,695
ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
there's also 7/11's you could be a gas station person (though there's the whole chance of getting robbed thing) - bbut ultimately it's money in the bank when you need it. It certainly does seem easier to stay and try and work through it - especially as the kids are loving it.

Don't give up- you know they say god hates a coward!!!!!
Not to mention some of these jobs come with health benefits which you'd need with 3 kids.
ExKiwilass is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 6:01 pm
  #29  
Beep
 
el_richo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 8,311
el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Rubies that size are rare...so yeah I'd certainly flog the rock.
i would imagine it's not that kind of Ruby

Shift work in a Timmies or anywhere that are taking casual workers is probably the best bet. Even cleaning work. Ask neighbours or school parents if they need their house cleaning, etc.

Last edited by el_richo; Jan 23rd 2012 at 6:12 pm.
el_richo is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 6:22 pm
  #30  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 720
snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Unfortunately canadian employers being less than honest about work prospects is not unusual (according to a discussion I have had with an immigration officer I had some dealings with.

It really hacks off the authorities and if your OH does need to get a new TWP tied to another company they will be as supportive as possible on account of this.

I went through a similar situation, although we stuck it out it coloured our canadian experience, and we ended up returning to the UK after 2 years (by which time we had a reasonable income).
snowshoveller is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.