Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

7 weeks and headed home :***(

7 weeks and headed home :***(

Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A genuine 5 carat ruby is extremely rare. The Crown Jewels and Liz Taylor springs to mind. Sounds like you've been robbed.
http://www.gems.tv/Jewellery/970cts-...gn-QZVJ41.aspx

"Fissure Filled" Ruby...
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_a_fissure_filled_ruby_real
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That looks like a lab grown stone to me. I did type in my reply above that it was probably a lab grown stone but then deleted it.

As for the other link...again not a real ruby as such...red glass and a bit of ruby more like.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
An assumption that things might not go to plan initially and a BIG contingency fund for that eventuality is essential when emigrating.
It wasnt for me, I came to a TWP, no chance of another job locally, $5k, and two suitcases.

But it was just me I guess, and I am grateful its mostly worked out well for me (so far, touch wood).

I think the OP probably accepts with hind site it was a gamble, but if its your dream move and those are the circumstances, well, what are you going to do?

Im so sorry it didnt work out for them and I hope that maybe in the future they will be in a position to give it another go. At least others can learn from their experience, its not always all milk and honey.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:39 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
It wasnt for me, I came to a TWP, no chance of another job locally, $5k, and two suitcases.

But it was just me I guess, and I am grateful its mostly worked out well for me (so far, touch wood).

I think the OP probably accepts with hind site it was a gamble, but if its your dream move and those are the circumstances, well, what are you going to do?

Im so sorry it didnt work out for them and I hope that maybe in the future they will be in a position to give it another go. At least others can learn from their experience, its not always all milk and honey.
I suppose it depends on how you assess and view risk.

We had just us two, but with OH getting LMO but only one year TWP and them wanting him to start work, we had a choice - both pile over here and take the risk of being back within a year with nothing to show for it but a depleted bank balance or live continents apart for the time it took for him to be established at work and the risk reduced.

We took the path that was lonely, emotionally and practically difficult and in the short term, a lot more expensive but it was safe (or as safe as it can ever be).

Would I recommend this solution to anyone else?
No, not if there was any alternative. It was horrible.

Am I glad that we did it to make sure we weren't in this sad position?
Yes, I am.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:50 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

An assumption that things might not go to plan initially and a BIG contingency fund for that eventuality is essential when emigrating.
The problem is, people believe it will never happen to them.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:56 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Larger ones, and especially good quality ones, are extremely rare.

A decent real ruby at 5 carats will be WELL into 6 figures and possibly more depending where it came from.

The Ruby the OP has will be no different to a CZ i'd think
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:56 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I was convinced it would if we took any risk at all and then people would say it was all our own fault for being so foolish!

Am I a pessimist or just a realist?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 10:01 pm
Island life at last

Larger ones, and especially good quality ones, are extremely rare.

A decent real ruby at 5 carats will be WELL into 6 figures and possibly more depending where it came from.

The Ruby the OP has will be no different to a CZ i'd think
True - a gem quality ruby of that size would be a mightily expensive stone and quite enough to keep a family for several weeks at least so that is why I advised the OP to sell it.

There is a great difference between a synthetic stone such as CZ and a created stone, though and it is illegal to describe a red synthetic stone as a ruby.

A created stone is chemically identical to the real thing but the crystalisation has been forced under laboratory conditions, resulting in good clarity and colour saturation which would usually only be present in the most expensive and rare natural stones.

Even a created stone of 5 carats should rate a lot more than $80 though.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 10:09 pm
Beep

Even a created stone of 5 carats should rate a lot more than $80 though.
Hence my CZ comment

Back on topic; TJ, have you approached your bank or credit card company to discuss increasing limits and/or loans to see you through a few months? Looking at your outgoings, you'd need a relatively low amount.

I have to say i'm a little shocked that there wasn't enough financial buffer for more than 2 months. At least if anything good comes out of this, it will make others take off their rose tints and really think about their plans, especially with children involved.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 10:32 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

yup
Old Jan 24th 2012, 11:48 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

it's real, has inclusions and was a late night clearance auction. I don't buy CZ or created, or heat treated. They are not investment pieces and recently I've had cause to enjoy the fruits of over 10 years collecting quality, cheap jewellery.
Figured food was more important! When I get back I'll get a picture of it for y'all. As I said I've never even worn it because I took it to be resized and they took too long. But it will fetch at least £400 so that's gone!

IF we had known we could have come out in march and we would have made it. IF he had told us there was no guaranteed $800 a week take home we could have made another choice. I refuse to accept fault for this failing, we checked and double checked everything, the guy lied on the job offer, it's very clear, black and white. Totall bulls**t how are you supposed to know?!? It's union rate so we knew the money was concrete, but the hours we just didn't know.

Yes more of a contingency would have been lovely, but things are crappy in the uk, one of the reasons we wanted to leave. Totally agree if this thread dissuades one person from rushing in then great, but it wasn't our fault, and we love it here and would love to stay if there was enough to cope!

There is a reason they call it B.ring C.ash!
Old Jan 25th 2012, 12:40 am
Beep

Originally Posted by __TJ__
it's real, has inclusions and was a late night clearance auction. I don't buy CZ or created, or heat treated. They are not investment pieces and recently I've had cause to enjoy the fruits of over 10 years collecting quality, cheap jewellery.
Figured food was more important! When I get back I'll get a picture of it for y'all. As I said I've never even worn it because I took it to be resized and they took too long. But it will fetch at least £400 so that's gone!

IF we had known we could have come out in march and we would have made it. IF he had told us there was no guaranteed $800 a week take home we could have made another choice. I refuse to accept fault for this failing, we checked and double checked everything, the guy lied on the job offer, it's very clear, black and white. Totall bulls**t how are you supposed to know?!? It's union rate so we knew the money was concrete, but the hours we just didn't know.

Yes more of a contingency would have been lovely, but things are crappy in the uk, one of the reasons we wanted to leave. Totally agree if this thread dissuades one person from rushing in then great, but it wasn't our fault, and we love it here and would love to stay if there was enough to cope!

There is a reason they call it B.ring C.ash!
I'd get the Ruby professional checked by somebody GIA or Gem-A qualified if i were you.

Good luck with everything over the coming weeks.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:43 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Have done, used a jeweller in Southampton who i trust, and gems is on the Telly and bound by uk law
Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:58 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

My job hours are the same as the OP hubby,

We are not garanteed 40hrs a week. We just do the work when it comes in. No work=No hours.

It was the same in the UK for me, thus the need for a cash buffer. We also moved at Xmas time, the worst time for my type of work.

Now that i am established in Canada i have a cash surplus in $'s that we can fall back onto if work dries up. At the mo though its still busy. ;-)

I think if you tough it out and get to summer im sure you would get some hours in and save a small fall back ammount for the quiet times. Maybe go on vay kay in winter like we now do.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 3:41 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure if they could help, but maybe worth a try? Even if it just tides you over until you go back to the UK, if that is what happens.

https://www.foodbank.bc.ca/receiving-food

Really sorry to hear of your story....hoping it all works out for you in the end. You still all have each other at the end of the day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.