Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

7 weeks and headed home :***(

7 weeks and headed home :***(

Old Jan 24th 2012, 6:26 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Originally Posted by el_richo
i would imagine it's not that kind of Ruby

Shift work in a Timmies or anywhere that are taking casual workers is probably the best bet. Even cleaning work. Ask neighbours or school parents if they need their house cleaning, etc.
Could also advertise to childmind although that would require a medical and an update on the sowp i'd think?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:39 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Could also advertise to childmind although that would require a medical and an update on the sowp i'd think?
not necessarily..lots of people are underground caregivers here (and no, it doesn't mean they suck, necessarily). You can take a certain number of kids without a license. Considering the childcare shortage in Greater Van, this is a good option.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:50 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
not necessarily..lots of people are underground caregivers here (and no, it doesn't mean they suck, necessarily). You can take a certain number of kids without a license. Considering the childcare shortage in Greater Van, this is a good option.
Around MR, my youngest brother in law made some $'s by driving people to the West Coast Express in the morning, and picking them up in the evening. Not sure he told any officials about it but it worked well until he moved downtown.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 3:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I think from what I understand it would be if the employer all of a sudden gives hubby some hours and then they are up shit creek regading childcare.

I still stand by the "get a job in the evenings" advice.
Not necessarily as when hes working it will provide funds for child care, and child care expenses for the 2nd earner are a write off come tax time to some extent.

Under the circumstances I would say take any job you can get short term to make ends meet, and worry about child care when and if it becomes an issue with the OH working.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Around MR, my youngest brother in law made some $'s by driving people to the West Coast Express in the morning, and picking them up in the evening. Not sure he told any officials about it but it worked well until he moved downtown.
Do we have the 3 wise monkeys smileys
Yes it sucks in these situations and I understand their predicament.
They would need to assess the risk factor and likelihood of being caught if doing something illegal. The authorities are not all heartless and sure lets say they were caught would they have mitigating circumstances regarding their case if brought to the authorities.
I suggest the OP reads this article before making any decisions
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...122138184.html
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Highly risky if there was an accident, without the appropriate licensing and insurance ICBC would not pay up. There are already some similar cases going on. One guy has to pay back ICBC $300k for injuries to passengers that they paid out.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 5:08 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Do we have the 3 wise monkeys smileys
Yes it sucks in these situations and I understand their predicament.
They would need to assess the risk factor and likelihood of being caught if doing something illegal. The authorities are not all heartless and sure lets say they were caught would they have mitigating circumstances regarding their case if brought to the authorities.
I suggest the OP reads this article before making any decisions
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...122138184.html
Originally Posted by Aviator
Highly risky if there was an accident, without the appropriate licensing and insurance ICBC would not pay up. There are already some similar cases going on. One guy has to pay back ICBC $300k for injuries to passengers that they paid out.
Oh i'm not saying it's legal nor would i personally do it. Just pointing out there are options to bring $'s in during times of desperation.

It is frightening how a family make such a huge move and are unable to last 2 months financially. I wonder if there is something else that is being left out, or possibly the info given is a driver, but not the main issue.

Who know's.

It's so easy to dish out advice on what they should do when we're sitting comfortably behind our screens.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 5:14 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

We are not, of course advising that TJ does anything illegal, immoral or that makes you fat (as the old song goes), but making money can be done in a variety of ways, some of which are more creative than others.

This situation calls for some flexibility in arrangements - hubby being able to babysit the kid while she goes to work, for example.

It also requires flexibility of mind to accept some things that are unpalatable, such as working doing things that usually you would not consider, selling or pawning valuables to get cash in the short term, selling a car or computer, maybe moving to a smaller property etc.

"Where there is a will there is a way" does sound trite when we are sitting here all fine and dandy but many of us have been through times like these and found a way through.

Having been in the redundancy boat twice myself, I know what it is like to be on the edge of ruin financially, just needing to survive a few more weeks until I know work will come and believe me, you can live on so much less than you think you can when the s**t hits the fan and money is running out.

There is a possible escape route for TJ through these flights and the Mother-in-laws money and then as she says herself, they can stay with family in the UK.
Maybe this seems a much easier route than fighting for what they have here in Canada.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 6:17 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
I am sorry that you are in this situation but I looked back at some of your previous posts and I see that you do have at least some assets that could be liquidated very quickly and easily;

"Photos of jewellery???!!!! Gulp! I have a rather extensive collection three days may not be enough! I have valuations etc

Question about "used prior to emigration" what about Christmas pressure, dh has bought me a ring but it's off being resized and won't be ready in time(despite me telling them the deadline was set in stone, and why!) I haven't actually "used" it yet, how do I get round that? "

You then go on to say this ring is a 5 carat ruby.
Maybe some of this jewellery could be sold to secure the future of your family in Canada?
Gold is at a high price at the moment and you should get a good price.
Or you could pawn the pieces to create some cash flow and then redeem them when the money situation is better.

I know this is a hard thing to do but maybe it is worth it to save all the heartache and disruption of going back to the UK.
yes i have already flogged more than half of my stuff, the rest is family bits not worth a lot. have already used the cash from that to get acar sorted out as hiring was horrendous! BTW the 5ct ruby is beautiful, but still in the uk. cost me £80 on www.gemstv.co.uk had it valued at £800 for insurance so despite the fact ive never even worn it, that will be going too when we get back. im not sitting on my laurels refusing to work here, ive been round tims, 50s diner, mcd, and all the food shops in MR. right after christmas nobody is hiring. and as has been said if i get a job dh can watch the kids unless he gets called into work then i have to let my employer down, if we are relying on that wage they will nto wear that too often before they start kicking off.

cant childmind (legally) here because i have an autistic son. end of. they wouldnt let me it was the first thing i thought of after selling the jewellery ( BTW the high price of gold doesnt seem to have reached the pawn shops of vancouver !)

sorry op this probably isn't helping. In a roundabout way we are saying if you all love it that much then you will make the sacrifices to stay. your hubby must be feeling pretty crappy with all the weight on his shoulders - you should step in aand at least try and take some of the burden from him.
i know the burden dh is under, i really do understand and will do everything i can to support him and take some of that but other than trailing all over MR with my resume, which ive done. offering to take any shifts, day or night, doing anything - not too proud to clean houses! but march is a long way off and until then we would struggle to survive. i cant put my kids thru that.

mother in laws money is strictly for getting us home, she wont budge and i dont expect her too - it is HER money after all. and she is just looking out for us.

eye opener indeed, and a shame that we have had to live thru it but it is what it is.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 6:54 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
but march is a long way off and until then we would struggle to survive. i cant put my kids thru that.
Struggle, yes, but you would survive.

March is less far away than the time you have already been here and with respect, you have already put the kids through one huge move.

Why do you think that going back is going to be any easier for them, especially with circumstances as you describe them in the UK for you all?

That said, it seems you have already made up your mind, so I hope it all goes as well as it can.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

What a nightmare

But can I go back to your original post...

If your Husband has a contract stating 40 hours per week, then why is that not being honored? Do you not have some legal rights against the employer?

Is that not the point of a contract, or did someone make the mistake of accepting a verbal contract?

Despite all my previous posts of optimistic dreams and the perfect life in Canada, the biggest thing we consider is the "what if", and we will be prepared to be self sufficient for at least 6 months if it all goes tits up. We are not a rich family, and this really would take all our life savings if it goes wrong.

You've not mentioned your expenses (house rental etc). I'm not trying to be nosey, but it will help others avoid being in this situation if we get an idea of the real costs involved.

We also have a dog, so I know what your thinking, and how you could save money No, I don't mean eat the dog. He/she's part of the family too.

I really hope you manage to come up with an escape plan that allows you some more time. So unfair to have to come home after all the effort it's taken you to get there.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Do you not have some legal rights against the employer?
No. Canadian employers can do whatever they like.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:11 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

good idea
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:13 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
good idea
You think so Drive uninsured is not something I would risk whatever the circumstances.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:14 pm

Ok, so MR is out. There are other cities not far though - Port Coquitlam, Surrey etc that might have work. Keep trying

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.