53 yrs now

Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 53 yrs now

That photo of last view before leaving reminds me of the one I took when we left Southampton in July 1963. Unfortunately the film hadn't engaged and I didn't find out until I got to Canada.

Anyway congratulations and hope to make it to our 53rd in 2016.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

hope thes pics get here. finally, .they are out of order but ;1) leaving my homeland.,2) tugs pulling out' The Empress of Scotland ' to open water, 3)Liverpool docks 1957.

At this point I was sad to leave, and full of trepidation for what was ahead.
Attached Thumbnails 53 yrs now-1957-5.jpg   53 yrs now-1957-4.jpg   53 yrs now-1957-6.jpg  

Last edited by Largo; Jan 13th 2011 at 3:36 am.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Largo
hope thes pics get here. finally, .they are out of order but ;1) leaving my homeland.,2) tugs pulling out' The Empress of Scotland ' to open water, 3)Liverpool docks 1957.

At this point I was sad to leave, and full of trepidation for what was ahead.
They are great photos, what do you remember of the rest of the journey? Was it an easy crossing?

(We arrived by plane which seems so dull in comparison!)
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 53 yrs now

Originally Posted by kiton6
They are great photos, what do you remember of the rest of the journey? Was it an easy crossing?

(We arrived by plane which seems so dull in comparison!)
You might find the post '52 yrs.' presently at the bottom of page 2, which I started last year and to which several other people have contributed, of interest.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Keith
That photo of last view before leaving reminds me of the one I took when we left Southampton in July 1963. Unfortunately the film hadn't engaged and I didn't find out until I got to Canada.

Anyway congratulations and hope to make it to our 53rd in 2016.
That was a problem with the old film cameras,( getting the hole on the film to match up with the sprockets and hold tight) though that being said, I took much better pics, with my old Canon 35mm.
A pity though that you did not have the pics of leaving UK.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 1:56 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Very cool. Was the Empress of Scotland a sister ship to the tragic Empress of Ireland? I don't think so, seems to just be the way CP were naming ships.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Very cool. Was the Empress of Scotland a sister ship to the tragic Empress of Ireland? I don't think so, seems to just be the way CP were naming ships.
I don't know anything of the Empress of Ireland,but the Empress of Scotland was sold at one point to a German Co.and shortly thereafter, sank. It had been originally, the 'Empress of Japan' until Japan entered the war against the U.S. ( Pearl Harbour ) Britain and the allies, and its name was changed .It had been used as a troop ship during WW2.

I'm sure they must have been sister ships though, Empress of England, Empress of Canada are others.

Last edited by Largo; Jan 15th 2011 at 6:00 am.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

The Empress of Scotland and routes to Canada. I do have a hard time posting pics. Sorry!
Attached Thumbnails 53 yrs now-cp53i1.jpg  

Last edited by Largo; Jan 15th 2011 at 6:22 am.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:25 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations and great photos, real treasures for your family (and us)
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

edwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant future

My congratulations to you, I will have been here for forty years come this July. Makes me feel like a newbie, haha.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:57 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

You will still be both seen as "from away"
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Largo

It is now officially 53 yrs, as of Aug 1st., and as of Aug 6 th. the 53rd anniversary of arriving at my first home in Canada
Didn't know whethrt this should be a new thread or a continuation of the 52 yr. thread.
Anyway, I have just scanned some of my 1957 pics. ( leaving UK ) onto my computer. I know how to email them, but not sure how to transfer them to BE. I will experiment and hopefully will have some success. If not, I will ask for help, unless anyone can point me in the right direction before then.
Congrats!