Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia - How is it?

Nova Scotia - How is it?

Old Nov 13th 2010, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

gvanleer is a name known to allgvanleer is a name known to allgvanleer is a name known to allgvanleer is a name known to allgvanleer is a name known to allgvanleer is a name known to allgvanleer is a name known to allgvanleer is a name known to allgvanleer is a name known to allgvanleer is a name known to allgvanleer is a name known to all
Default Nova Scotia - How is it?

As we rapidly approach our 5th Anniversary of landing here in Nova Scotia, we sometimes sit down with friends and get asked the same two questions. Why did you leave the UK, and why did you choose Nova Scotia?
This gets us thinking and we reflect sometimes between ourselves, sometimes with other expats, what are our likes and dislikes about living in this province. Before I post our observations, I thought I would throw this out there and see what all you honorary bluenosers have to say. My reply will probably be quite lengthy, so it gives me time to put it together! So if you have lived in NS for 3 or more years, let us all know what you are REALLY thinking. Don't forget to remove the rose-tinted spectacles, and let us have it, warts and all...
We obtained citizenship on Canada Day this year and live in the Fall River Area. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts....
Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia - How is it?

Lived there for just under 5 years. Recently moved to the GTA to get access to all the things we had in the UK but thought we didn't want or need.

I find loads of people who grow up in NS would never leave as they have nothing to compare it to. When you have come from the UK you get used to access and choice. We missed that in NS and it finally got bad enough to pack up and leave.

Horses for courses.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

As someone in the process of applying to go to NS, I look forward to reading people's comments - your lengthy post included gvanleer!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by izzi81
As someone in the process of applying to go to NS, I look forward to reading people's comments - your lengthy post included gvanleer!
Me too!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

edwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant future

I'll get the ball rolling.
Been here nine years. can't compare it to the UK, but Ontario....
On the plus side:
Winters are definitely milder, the frost here goes down one foot here; three or more in Ontario. It's not such a dry cold so it doesn't necessary feel any warmer and since you're always close to the Atlantic it gets pretty windy. We seem to get less snow, at least since I've been here.

It's way more laid back and people are more friendly and helpful. My neighbours are wonderful and will do anything to help, very generous with their time. My next door neighbour in Ontario died and I didn't find out until six months later and I lived in that house for twenty years.

Because there's so much lumber here firewood is cheap, so we installed a wood stove.. very cosy.

We have a neat licence plate and road signs.

On the minus:
There's a shortage of doctors here and the wait times for medical procedures are longer

If you're not close to a city, shopping is a pain (other than groceries)

AT 15%, the HST is the highest in the country. It's 13% in Ontario, 12 in BC and 5 in Alberta!
Attached Thumbnails Nova Scotia - How is it?-nova_scotia_license_plate.jpg   Nova Scotia - How is it?-img_1377.jpg  
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:44 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edwinslad
I'll get the ball rolling.
Been here nine years. can't compare it to the UK, but Ontario....
On the plus side:
Winters are definitely milder, the frost here goes down one foot here; three or more in Ontario. It's not such a dry cold so it doesn't necessary feel any warmer and since you're always close to the Atlantic it gets pretty windy. We seem to get less snow, at least since I've been here.

It's way more laid back and people are more friendly and helpful. My neighbours are wonderful and will do anything to help, very generous with their time. My next door neighbour in Ontario died and I didn't find out until six months later and I lived in that house for twenty years.

Because there's so much lumber here firewood is cheap, so we installed a wood stove.. very cosy.

We have a neat licence plate and road signs.

On the minus:
There's a shortage of doctors here and the wait times for medical procedures are longer

If you're not close to a city, shopping is a pain (other than groceries)

AT 15%, the HST is the highest in the country. It's 13% in Ontario, 12 in BC and 5 in Alberta!
I agree with just about all of that.
There is a shortage of doctors in most places, not just in N.S.
I lived in Ontario for 30 years and the folks there seemed to be much more aloof and unfriendly. My neighborhood near Truro is much friendlier.
I have all but forgotten about the winters not having been through one in seven years. This will be the eighth. I do, however, enjoy spending the summer there.
I retired in N.S. because that's where my wife is from.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

wats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gvanleer
As we rapidly approach our 5th Anniversary of landing here in Nova Scotia, we sometimes sit down with friends and get asked the same two questions. Why did you leave the UK, and why did you choose Nova Scotia?
This gets us thinking and we reflect sometimes between ourselves, sometimes with other expats, what are our likes and dislikes about living in this province. Before I post our observations, I thought I would throw this out there and see what all you honorary bluenosers have to say. My reply will probably be quite lengthy, so it gives me time to put it together! So if you have lived in NS for 3 or more years, let us all know what you are REALLY thinking. Don't forget to remove the rose-tinted spectacles, and let us have it, warts and all...
We obtained citizenship on Canada Day this year and live in the Fall River Area. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts....
sorry I'm unable to post my thoughts as I've not been here more than 3 years yet...

I'm interested in hearing your points...
Old Nov 19th 2010, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
I agree with just about all of that.
There is a shortage of doctors in most places, not just in N.S.
I lived in Ontario for 30 years and the folks there seemed to be much more aloof and unfriendly. My neighborhood near Truro is much friendlier.
I have all but forgotten about the winters not having been through one in seven years. This will be the eighth. I do, however, enjoy spending the summer there.
I retired in N.S. because that's where my wife is from.
That's weird, as our neighbours in Mississauga are way more friendly than the neighbours we had in NB and NS.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

How much fog/rain is to be had in North Queens co. area?
The statistics site I found seems to suggest it rains more than it does in Wales!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:20 pm
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

Originally Posted by heading-west
The statistics site I found seems to suggest it rains more than it does in Wales!
I am from Nova Scotia, and before I moved to Scotland I looked up the rain tables. In general I found between the two, that in Nova Scotia we get more mm of rain every time it rains then in Scotland. For example, it might rain a lot for an entire day in Nova Scotia, but then we have an entire day of Sun or Sun & Clouds. Whereas in Scotland, it would rain at different intervals throughout the day and be sunny, then rain, then sunny, then rain. etc for both of the days.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

I know Vancouver has more rain than London, so it's not outside the realms of possibility.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Originally Posted by alexisatk
I am from Nova Scotia, and before I moved to Scotland I looked up the rain tables. In general I found between the two, that in Nova Scotia we get more mm of rain every time it rains then in Scotland. For example, it might rain a lot for an entire day in Nova Scotia, but then we have an entire day of Sun or Sun & Clouds. Whereas in Scotland, it would rain at different intervals throughout the day and be sunny, then rain, then sunny, then rain. etc for both of the days.
so is that fewer days of rain and lots of it then?

and how much fog?
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:29 am
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

so is that fewer days of rain and lots of it then?

and how much fog?
lol I think the conclusion is it's roughly the same but you may get more entire days of sun and more entire days of rain then a mixture throughout the day. Oh, but Nova Scotia is definietly foggier - it's all the lakes!! But the fog will usually lift with the sun.

From my own experience, my scottish OH prefers the weather here than to Scotland.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:14 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you live in NS - we only get a few days fog a year. Compared to Scotland, much hotter temps here during the summer months, and of course, much colder temps over the winter.

PS I am sure we got much more rain and definitely more clouds back in Aberdeen. Again, it all depends where you live. Scotland, although beautiful can be really dreich!
Old Nov 24th 2010, 6:59 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Ironically we either had fog or low cloud here today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.