Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Write to your MP!

Write to your MP!

Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:54 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Write to your MP!

Originally Posted by cityhog
I lived in Florida. Didn't like the weather. And a lot of crime. If you don't have much money, CA is a better place to retire.
It's actually a better place to live in general if you don't have much money and have kids (imo).
Old Jul 28th 2010, 1:00 am
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Citizenship is not a right.
It kind of is... the Citizenship Act says "shall grant", not "may grant".

The government is entitled to a reasonable period of time to determine whether an applicant meets the requirements. There are cases where the Federal Court has found a delay to be unreasonable and ordered the government to get on with it.

Note that the OP's idea of reasonable might not be the same as the courts'. The cases I can find involve delays of several years.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Citizenship applications in the US are averaging around six months at present (although they are more expensive, $675, but at least they actually process them, $200 for nothing is more expensive imv!)
But you wait longer for citizenship in the US (at least those not married to citizens) - 5 years instead of three, and time before permanent residence is ignored instead of credited at 50%.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I got my PR a month ago and I already feel like a prisoner in my home. I can't imagine myself here waiting for four more years to get my citizenship. I'm already looking for a way to move back to the States, mainly because there are no real jobs in my field. I have been here for three years. So after two years I'm eligible for citizenship. But then I have to wait for another two years for my citizenship? Wow, depressing. I was looking forward to getting a TN visa after two years. Oh shit, I have to wait for another two years!
TN is really not all that great a visa/status for anything other than a short term assignment. You should consider yourself lucky to have permanent residence in Canada - why not try to make a success of living in Canada?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:47 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_
[..]I urge you all to complain to your MP about it. [..]
MPs only represent voters don't they?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:51 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by agr
Constitutionally, an MP should represent the whole constituency (riding in Canadian English). However this is an unwritten convention.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
TN is really not all that great a visa/status for anything other than a short term assignment.
Yeah I agree. I heard people say H1B is better TN.

You should consider yourself lucky to have permanent residence in Canada
This is sort of cliche. No need to tell any PR s/he needs to feel this way or that way.

- why not try to make a success of living in Canada?
Trying to learn the system, but the more I learn about it the more I feel the door is closed to me. It doesn't matter whether I become a PR or a citizen. These lazy incompetent but overly patriotic Canadians are running my workplace into the ground. Canadian protectionism is ruining it. It's like inbreeding of a family of morons.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:19 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

These lazy incompetent but overly patriotic Canadians are running my workplace into the ground. Canadian protectionism is ruining it. It's like inbreeding of a family of morons.
They should count themselves lucky you came along to put them right, ungrateful gits! If I were you I'd go and put them straight.

Last edited by Aviator; Jul 28th 2010 at 3:51 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Cant say Ive seen any protectionism against PRs, assuming you have the relevant recognised qualifications.

There is some resistance against having to get a TWP, which I figure is only natural, but in my experience if a qualified candidates has PR no one could care less if they were Canadian citizens or not, especially if they already have had some canadian employer take a chance on them in the past.

Maybe your negative attitude isnt helping your cause? Something near 20% of all canadian residents are immigrants, born overseas. In Ontario its over 25%. If you factor in 1st generation canadians (those with immigrant parents) its more like 50% of the population, so this idea that "Canadians" are prejudiced against PRs seems unlikely to withstand too thorough an examination!

When you look at the stats unemployment for recent arrived immigrants is higher than the average, but that easily explained by the absence of the qualifications that canadian employers are expecting to see.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 28th 2010 at 3:32 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:25 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Maybe your negative attitude isnt helping your cause?
It also seems a superior attitude, which will not win any friends or respect in the workplace.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agr
Originally Posted by JAJ
Constitutionally, an MP should represent the whole constituency (riding in Canadian English). However this is an unwritten convention.
No doubt there will be some PRs with Citizen partners. Perhaps the partner should make the complaint.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:45 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
No doubt there will be some PRs with Citizen partners. Perhaps the partner should make the complaint.
I'd be one of them. Trouble is, my PR card renewal using the expedited process for booked travel, took 3 weeks from submission to me having my shiny new PR card. So I, or the Mrs, have little to complain about.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:30 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Citizenship is not a right.
Yes, it is, it's a legal right granted to you by the Citizenship Act, if you comply with the application requirements.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:32 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
But you wait longer for citizenship in the US (at least those not married to citizens) - 5 years instead of three, and time before permanent residence is ignored instead of credited at 50%.
Actually five years with at least six months presence, which is 2.5 years, whereas in Canada it's three years total in the last four years. Not only that but if you immigrate by marriage then it's only six months out of the last three years, so it's only 1.5 years total.

That isn't more restrictive, it's just different, and it has no bearing on how long the application process should take.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:42 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by agr
Your MP represents everyone in their riding. The only difference is that you don't get to vote for them (which I have to say is academic in Calgary anyway, they always vote tory). And I don't get the comments about your MP not caring, if you want citizenship so you get the right to vote, clearly you're interesting in exercising that right so you should have their full attention because that vote may very well depend on what they do next!

I don't think people are getting my point in posting this thread, they aren't just being really slow, it doesn't look to me as though they are actually processing applications.

The priority date for PR card renewals has been at February 8 for weeks and the only thing that changes is the processing time, which moves forward by a week every week. That means they aren't processing them. Or at a pace that is just fantastically slow. It's harder to tell with citizenship applications but they clearly are taking a very long time.

You're paying $50 or $200 for nothing. You don't get anything in return. That is clearly wrong. The only way to get anything done about it at this stage is to start moaning to MPs, imo.

The reason it takes six months in the US is precisely because it was taking years and people started moaning about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.