Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Write to your MP!

Write to your MP!

Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:44 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Write to your MP!

The amount of time it's taking to process LPR card renewals and citizenship applications has reached absurd proportions, I urge you all to complain to your MP about it. Essentially as LPRs we're being disenfranchised through bureaucratic slowness, which is wrong and I have a feeling it might violate Charter Rights because we're being denied the right to vote. Everything takes a reasonable time to do but six months plus for a PR card renewal and a year and a half (if you're lucky) for citizenship is unfair.

Couple of points to make:

PR cards are valid for ten years in the US;
Citizenship applications in the US are averaging around six months at present (although they are more expensive, $675, but at least they actually process them, $200 for nothing is more expensive imv!)
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Write to your MP!

Originally Posted by Steve_
The amount of time it's taking to process LPR card renewals and citizenship applications has reached absurd proportions, I urge you all to complain to your MP about it. Essentially as LPRs we're being disenfranchised through bureaucratic slowness, which is wrong and I have a feeling it might violate Charter Rights because we're being denied the right to vote. Everything takes a reasonable time to do but six months plus for a PR card renewal and a year and a half (if you're lucky) for citizenship is unfair.

Couple of points to make:

PR cards are valid for ten years in the US;
Citizenship applications in the US are averaging around six months at present (although they are more expensive, $675, but at least they actually process them, $200 for nothing is more expensive imv!)
Is it because Canada is like a revolving door? You are not wanted here anymore once you're penniless after spending all your savings while trying unsuccessfully to settle down here? Then you're shown the door.... It takes a year and a half after you applied for citizenship? Really? And you have to stay in Canada until you hear from them?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:06 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Denying our rights? really? That's a stretch isn't it?

I don't see what the US has to do with it. Different country, different system, blah blah.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:09 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

It's a basis for comparison.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:12 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not fussed.

Yeah, it takes a long time, whatever. Overall my immigration experience has been pretty straight forward, unlike some friends who have tried to go to the US. I don't see the point in comparing.

$675 is a lot. I prefer cheaper.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:16 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Denying our rights? really? That's a stretch isn't it?
Democratic rights of citizens

3. Every citizen of Canada has the right to vote in an election of members of the House of Commons or of a legislative assembly and to be qualified for membership therein.
If they're taking an unreasonably long time to process applications (which by any reasonable standard, they are) then you are being denied your rights.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

It's a basis for comparison.
Not really a logical comparison though I suspect.

Unfortunately immigration is a low budget priority. Im broadly sympathetic, but cant in my own mind justify puting additional resources into processing the paperwork when government spending on things like healthcare etc is under pressure. PR cards and citizenship cards will come eventually.

I dont buy this bleeding the immigrant dry thing either, the majority of those posting here seem to be doing OK after the initial readjustment phase, and if you want to be a citizen, why should it be made easy for you to leave before it comes through? You can still travel as a PR, but your home base should rightly remain in canada if you wish to be a citizen. Thats my 2c anyway. Its frustrating if you are affected, but as a tax payer I dont want to throw more money at it.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:22 pm

If they're taking an unreasonably long time to process applications (which by any reasonable standard, they are) then you are being denied your rights.
What's a 'reasonable standard" when it comes to government bureaucracy? I don't know how you can measure that. Maybe they take a long time because they're more thorough than the US.

not that I know or care, really, but I don't see how it can be quantified. I mean, it's bureaucracy.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Not really a logical comparison though I suspect.

Unfortunately immigration is a low budget priority. Im broadly sympathetic, but cant in my own mind justify puting additional resources into processing the paperwork when government spending on things like healthcare etc is under pressure. PR cards and citizenship cards will come eventually.

I dont buy this bleeding the immigrant dry thing either, the majority of those posting here seem to be doing OK after the initial readjustment phase, and if you want to be a citizen, why should it be made easy for you to leave before it comes through? You can still travel as a PR, but your home base should rightly remain in canada if you wish to be a citizen. Thats my 2c anyway. Its frustrating if you are affected, but as a tax payer I dont want to throw more money at it.

Actually this is better than my post.

I agree.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You dont have that right until you are a citizen, so its a catch 22. They are not denying you the right to vote, as you are not a citizen. And there is no right to Citizenship as a PR, its a privileged. Hey ho.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:24 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Citizenship is not a right.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Citizenship is not a right.
I got my PR a month ago and I already feel like a prisoner in my home. I can't imagine myself here waiting for four more years to get my citizenship. I'm already looking for a way to move back to the States, mainly because there are no real jobs in my field. I have been here for three years. So after two years I'm eligible for citizenship. But then I have to wait for another two years for my citizenship? Wow, depressing. I was looking forward to getting a TN visa after two years. Oh shit, I have to wait for another two years!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:21 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by cityhog
I got my PR a month ago and I already feel like a prisoner in my home. I can't imagine myself here waiting for four more years to get my citizenship. I'm already looking for a way to move back to the States, mainly because there are no real jobs in my field. I have been here for three years. So after two years I'm eligible for citizenship. But then I have to wait for another two years for my citizenship? Wow, depressing. I was looking forward to getting a TN visa after two years. Oh shit, I have to wait for another two years!
So in other words, Canada was just a stepping stone to get your PR and then citizenship so you can apply for a TN visa to work in the US? You really had no intention to make Canada your home, now did you?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

So in other words, Canada was just a stepping stone to get your PR and then citizenship so you can apply for a TN visa to work in the US? You really had no intention to make Canada your home, now did you?
No, I have plenty of intention to make CA my home, when I retire, like many other immigrants.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by cityhog
So if you dont like canada and how its going, why would you waste your time and money on applying for citizenship?

Two years is a long time anyway, enought time to change your mind about a place anyway. Happily employed immigrant goes a long way towards being a happy immigrant. You wouldnt be the first to finaly land a decent job and change your mind about the immigrant experience in Canada. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.