Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Write to your MP!

Write to your MP!

Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Write to your MP!

Originally Posted by Steve_
Never happen, there was a stink about it in Mississauga a few years back because it was proposed by the council and people went nuts about it. One of the people who suggested it originally I think was a German who had been an LPR for years and years but didn't want to lose German citizenship by becoming Canadian.
Germans can keep their citizenship if they get permission in advance before becoming Canadian ("Beibehaltungsgenehmigung"). But perhaps the more pertinent question is if someone's home and future is in Canada, why would hanging on to a foreign passport be more important than becoming a Canadian?

His argument was that the EU allows it, but I don't think in the EU a Canadian can vote in a local election, only a citizen of another EU country.
That is correct. Although some countries may have more extensive concessions. Canadians, as Commonwealth citizens, can vote (full voting rights) if legally resident in the UK. Ireland allows all residents to vote in local elections. And so on.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
"Non-immigrant intent" is quite hard to work out for TN-1, because there is no requirement to maintain an abode abroad like there is for H-2B for example and it can be renewed indefinitely unlike H-1B.

Anyway I'm happy living in Canada so I could only see myself faffing around with TN-1 for some sort of short-term consulting work.

This is worth reading: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...erblocked.html

Basically he went in on TN-1, kept renewing it while in the US, then one day he was forced to leave and CBP were much tougher that time.
Problems tend to arise when someone tries to use TN as a de-facto green card, which it definitively is not.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:46 am
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by el_richo
Yes, as a PR they can vote
Canadians can vote in UK elections if they are residents there. They don't even have to be permanent residents: a temporary visa will do. The same applies to other Commonwealth citizens.

Note that there is no common rule across the EU and national laws apply, so the situation will be different in other EU countries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_o...igners_to_vote might be interesting, though I've no idea how accurate the information on that page is.

Getting back on topic, I do notice that Canada's major political parties all seem to accept PRs as members. That's one way to have a say in things even if you don't have a vote at elections.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:03 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well he was German, I don't think Canadians can vote in German local elections even if they're resident there (don't know to be honest, I doubt it).

why would hanging on to a foreign passport be more important than becoming a Canadian?
Which is basically why it went nowhere.