Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you return for good?

Would you return for good?

Old May 4th 2006, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you return for good?

[QUOTE=flashman]
Originally Posted by mjanovitz

Are you basing your income on exchange rate or purchasing power? It will be almost always be lower based on exchange rate but if you get twice the house for the same money then it will be higher if based on purchasing power.
I was comparing the UK / Canadian Salary based on exchange rate at the moment. However my point was that although the Canadian Salary "appears" to be lower than our previous UK Salary, it will allow us to get a better house than we had in the UK and therefore has more purchasing power.

Mark
Old May 4th 2006, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AnnetteM
Leaving my kids and grandkids is absolutely not an option. The way I see it, I brought my kids to Canada, against their will, when they were young. They grew up without family - no aunts, uncles, grandparents around - and it would be betrayal for me to go back and leave them here. Plus, I don't want half a world between us.
That's what my parents did...moved my brothers and I from Canada to the UK, while an application for US greencards was pending (we were 8, 10 and 11). 14 years later, they were approved for green cards, so they moved to the US, leaving my brothers and I in the UK (my younger brother was at uni, so we weren't "kids" anymore!). My older brother moved back to Canada a year later, now my husband and I are planning to move back to Canada, but family has very little to do with it. I'm sure we'll feel differently when we have kids, but we'll still be several hours (flight) away from both of our parents.
Old May 4th 2006, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

The only way you would get me back in the UK for good is in a pair of handcuffs being forced kicking and screaming, or if I was dead!!! and even then id haunt who ever took me back LOL
Old May 4th 2006, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mjanovitz]
Originally Posted by dingbat

So we could say that it depends where in Canada you decide to settle as an explantion for our different views. Thanks for the "hope it all works out".

Mark

Precisely. It's dangerous to make generalizations about Canada based on experience in only one location.
Old May 4th 2006, 4:46 pm
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rich_007
NAFCIH

Rich

[Not a F*****g Chance In hell]

Thats got to be the qoute of the month.

Karma sent.

I have only been in canada for 5 months ... so very much in the Honeymoon period. But as thisngs stand I have to agree NAFCIH......then again Never Say Never

In this short period of 5 months, I have been back to London on 4 occassions (7-10 days each time) and I have to admit the first couple of visits were fine wheras the last 2 trips .... I could not wait to get back, hated the people (attitude), weather, overcrowding, driving just about everything!!!

Rgds
Mans
Old May 4th 2006, 11:28 pm
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

I'm the fourth generation of my family to make the one-way trip to Canada (my great Uncle overcame the 'Canadian experience' problem to become the Bishop of Cariboo!) It's a family tradition... I pledge to never darken the shores of the UK again.