Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you return for good?

Would you return for good?

Old May 3rd 2006, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Phil43 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would you return for good?

Just wondering after the honeymoon period is over and your new life begins for real, does anyone feel like they had a better life back in England? If so How?
Old May 3rd 2006, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Would you return for good?

Originally Posted by Phil43
Just wondering after the honeymoon period is over and your new life begins for real, does anyone feel like they had a better life back in England? If so How?
Try looking at the "Returning to the UK" forum, this question has been answered in spades over there!
Old May 3rd 2006, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

always!
Old May 3rd 2006, 12:58 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

i made that mistake and have had a pretty poor 20 months getting used to overcrowded london life again. not sure i'd go back to vancouver but life was better over there.
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:13 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

I had a lovely life in England. I have a lovely life here in Canada. No I would never return to England - can't bear the grey!!
Old May 3rd 2006, 3:02 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been here for 43 years so the honeymoon was over long ago.

For me to return to England would be like emigrating all over again.

I don't know how my life would have turned out had I stayed in England or returned early on (I never did have the desire to return), but I am extremely happy with the way my life played out here in Canada.

So the answer to your question, no I would never consider moving back to England.

Cheers
Steve
Old May 3rd 2006, 3:54 pm
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of

I've lived here 30 years, so honeymoon was long over. Until now I would never have moved back. However, just returned from one of my annual visits to the UK where my husband became really ill and was hospitalized. The warmth and friendliness of all the people we met impressed me. We are both ready to "go home", but we have children and grandchildren here in Canada so it's not an option. All I can say is I felt very at home while in England and miss it terribly.
Old May 3rd 2006, 4:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnnetteM
We are both ready to "go home", but we have children and grandchildren here in Canada so it's not an option.
Surely its an option? My mum and dad have children and grandchildren in Canada and they live in the UK.
Old May 3rd 2006, 6:07 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

almost every day
Old May 3rd 2006, 6:22 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
almost every day
Ditto. Moving back, however, when you've been here a while is very scary. I did not realise how much day to day "life" I had established here until I made arrangements to go home. My kids are more Canadian than I ever realised, but I still think we would be better off in the UK. Career wise and financially, I utterly screwed myself by coming here. Whether we will ever go home is not in my hands anymore, so I take each day as it comes.
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:34 pm
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
Surely its an option? My mum and dad have children and grandchildren in Canada and they live in the UK.
Leaving my kids and grandkids is absolutely not an option. The way I see it, I brought my kids to Canada, against their will, when they were young. They grew up without family - no aunts, uncles, grandparents around - and it would be betrayal for me to go back and leave them here. Plus, I don't want half a world between us.
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Never....after 17 months in Canada it truly is amazing just how much you've got used to the lifestyle (even though I beat yourself up for months at first being homesick for family and missing daft things like my Morrisons and ASDA!!). But honestly, it's once you actually get back to the UK, you realise how claustrophobic everything is; houses, people, traffic jams as well as the constantly in your face yobs/hoodies

I would stress to anyone considering giving up what they fought so hard and long for.....go back for a 2 week holiday first rather than just sell everything up. If you really do feel like you've missed the place, then at least you know you'll be doing the right thing. If not, you've still got a home to come back to and you've seen family for 2 weeks!! I've become too Canadian now (25 months all-in-all)
Old May 3rd 2006, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

uk4canada will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by alberta_jaycee
Never....after 17 months in Canada it truly is amazing just how much you've got used to the lifestyle (even though I beat yourself up for months at first being homesick for family and missing daft things like my Morrisons and ASDA!!). But honestly, it's once you actually get back to the UK, you realise how claustrophobic everything is; houses, people, traffic jams as well as the constantly in your face yobs/hoodies

I would stress to anyone considering giving up what they fought so hard and long for.....go back for a 2 week holiday first rather than just sell everything up. If you really do feel like you've missed the place, then at least you know you'll be doing the right thing. If not, you've still got a home to come back to and you've seen family for 2 weeks!! I've become too Canadian now (25 months all-in-all)
I have been in Canada as PR since Sept 2004. It is just my wife and I with all out family back in England.

Since moving here we have suffered a lot with having to retrain for work, suffering flood damage, depression and a lot besides.

Looking at the big picture, there is no way a herd of stampeding moose would drag me back to the UK. I am even biased to go to visit family. The quality of life here is sooooooooo much better than england I cant even draw a comparison.

There is a constant reminder of the better life which gets me everyday, and that is the Alberta Blue sky, huge, majestic, and warming to the soul..........

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER
Old May 3rd 2006, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk4canada
I have been in Canada as PR since Sept 2004. It is just my wife and I with all out family back in England.

Since moving here we have suffered a lot with having to retrain for work, suffering flood damage, depression and a lot besides.

Looking at the big picture, there is no way a herd of stampeding moose would drag me back to the UK. I am even biased to go to visit family. The quality of life here is sooooooooo much better than england I cant even draw a comparison.

There is a constant reminder of the better life which gets me everyday, and that is the Alberta Blue sky, huge, majestic, and warming to the soul..........

Oooh I'm envious of where you live.....I've always said to my hubby that if we dropped that 6/49 I want a big house built on the top of a hill, in Cochrane, with a mountain view!! I can still dream though!!

Good to know we're in the same club on this issue......I've told my family back home that even if I die here, I don't want my body going back to UK soil......Alberta till I die!! LOL
Old May 3rd 2006, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk4canada

Confirms what I thought, it takes time to adjust amongst other things, but you get used to it. I'm depressed that we can't even get out there at the moment I hate where we live. We'd never move back to London where we're originally from. Things have changed too much there in a decade. I dislike the climate here, overcast for most of the bloody year and my cousin in the US says that us Brits are miserable. Just look at our climate, it's enough to make you scream!!!! I think I must suffer from S.A.D. The long grey winter really got me down in the UK. I don't care if it's minus 30 in Canada, the fact that the sun shone cheered me up. Also have very little family left here now (I'm a young one in an old family). Hopefully we'll get there another way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.