Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you return for good?

Would you return for good?

Old May 3rd 2006, 11:48 pm
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Would you return for good?

[QUOTE=Phil43]Maybe if you lived in a place that discriminates you for flying your own flag or celebrating your own religious beliefs for example christmas because its antisocial then maybe you may have something to say on the matter.

Sorry but where does this happen in the uk?
Old May 3rd 2006, 11:50 pm
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dingbat
I lived in the UK for for most of my life. These things you bemoan were in place when I was there. It's no different here. Happy Christmas = Happy Holidays - same pc stuff applies. The biggest immigrant class is family - and the points system does not apply to them in exactly the same way. You need to do more of that research.
Them ..................you point being?
Old May 4th 2006, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phil43
Thanks
I just needed to get it out there you know, and this seemed to be the place that got it.
We are in the throws of application and going for a investigation trip soon. (cant wait)
I feel vented now and can concentrate on getting out of here, maybe i am being nieve thinking grass is greener and all that but dont want to be one of those that say "what if"
Where in Canada have you got in mind?
Old May 4th 2006, 1:16 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buzz365
Them ..................you point being?
There is no "qualification" criteria (academic, work history etc.) for family class immigrants. The poster was critical of immigrants getting into the UK with no qualification criteria. My point, is that the same criteria applies to the largest number of immigrants into Canada. The posters point is therefore moot.
Old May 4th 2006, 1:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
I just needed to get it out there you know, and this seemed to be the place that got it.
We are in the throws of application and going for a investigation trip soon. (cant wait)
I feel vented now and can concentrate on getting out of here, maybe i am being nieve thinking grass is greener and all that but dont want to be one of those that say "what if"
I cannot be blaming you, it must be torture to be in a country with semi-literate immigrants.
Old May 4th 2006, 1:41 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering after the honeymoon period is over and your new life begins for real, does anyone feel like they had a better life back in England? If so How?
NAFCIH

Rich

[Not a F*****g Chance In hell]
Old May 4th 2006, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rich_007
NAFCIH

Rich

You really have such a way with words it brings a grin to my face just to read it
Old May 4th 2006, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Not
Old May 4th 2006, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dingbat]<Really big sigh> It's all here too, in different guises. Gas is now $1.14 a litre - BUT in real terms the wages are lower than the UK and housing prices have rocketed, so it makes the same size if not larger size dent in your wallet.QUOTE]

I would disagree with this. We sold our house in the UK for nearly £150k. It was a small three bed semi with no garage. We have looked here at houses and taking in to the account the exchange rate we can get a 3/4 bed bigger detached house with a single or doble garage and a basement for the same money. Seems to me to be twice the house for the same money.

We have only been here since Feb and my Wife starts working on Friday doing a similar job to what she did in the UK but earning not much less than she did in the UK. My chosen career takes a little longer to get in to which is the same as in the UK and my salary will also be slight lower. However it is nowhere near half of what we earned in the UK.

I actually liked the UK and still do, we liked where we lived, we came here for a change really and so far it seems to have been the right decision. It's nice to get up in the mornings and see a clear blue sky (whether its -20 or +20). I have recently bought a new cycle which cost me less than it would have in the UK, and better still despite living in a city there are loads of parks and pathways to ride it.

Public transport here is much better value than in the UK. I used to pay £1.30 for a four mile trip to work. Here you can go all over Toronto for $2.75!

There are the downsides of course....car insurance, air quality can be dubious sometimes, but nowhere is perfect. However for now Canada suits us. I still intend to get back to the UK once a year if I can to visit family. Do miss Heinz beans though, they dont taste the same here.

Mark
Old May 4th 2006, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
NAFCIH

Rich

LMAO

here's to the good life, eh!!!
Old May 4th 2006, 5:25 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mjanovitz]
<Really big sigh> It's all here too, in different guises. Gas is now $1.14 a litre - BUT in real terms the wages are lower than the UK and housing prices have rocketed, so it makes the same size if not larger size dent in your wallet.QUOTE]

I would disagree with this. We sold our house in the UK for nearly £150k. It was a small three bed semi with no garage. We have looked here at houses and taking in to the account the exchange rate we can get a 3/4 bed bigger detached house with a single or doble garage and a basement for the same money. Seems to me to be twice the house for the same money.

We have only been here since Feb and my Wife starts working on Friday doing a similar job to what she did in the UK but earning not much less than she did in the UK. My chosen career takes a little longer to get in to which is the same as in the UK and my salary will also be slight lower. However it is nowhere near half of what we earned in the UK.

I actually liked the UK and still do, we liked where we lived, we came here for a change really and so far it seems to have been the right decision. It's nice to get up in the mornings and see a clear blue sky (whether its -20 or +20). I have recently bought a new cycle which cost me less than it would have in the UK, and better still despite living in a city there are loads of parks and pathways to ride it.

Public transport here is much better value than in the UK. I used to pay £1.30 for a four mile trip to work. Here you can go all over Toronto for $2.75!

There are the downsides of course....car insurance, air quality can be dubious sometimes, but nowhere is perfect. However for now Canada suits us. I still intend to get back to the UK once a year if I can to visit family. Do miss Heinz beans though, they dont taste the same here.

Mark
You're back East. Things are markedly different as you go West, as it were. There is no public transport system outside of a downtown core where I am for example - and even then it's limited. Employment opportunities are plentiful in Ontario compared to say Saskatchewan or Manitoba. Your three month old £ sterling will be used up eventually and then you will be paying bills and buying [extortionate] groceries on the Can$ with the rest of us. It's expensive to live here, particulalrly if you have kids. But great news on the employment front - hope it all works out for you both. Yes, Heinz Beans are shite here. Must go home now.
Old May 4th 2006, 6:03 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Just look at our climate, it's enough to make you scream!!!! I think I must suffer from S.A.D. The long grey winter really got me down in the UK.
Well, here in Vancouver the winters are a lot greyer-try 29 days in a row of rain in January. Next year I'm buying one of those S.A.D. lamps.
Old May 4th 2006, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alberta_jaycee
Really sorry to hear that craftybanshee, 2 lousy points eh.....if you don't mind my asking, what are both your occupations you applied under? Alberta has quite a list of skills shortages that qualify for the PNP you know.....hope you're not too degected.....keep at it if it's your dream

My hubby was the principal applicant and he's a Project Manager in IT with several years experience. I'm an office Administrator, currently temping. Neither of us have degrees, so nuff said really. If we had more education we would've got more points. It's as simple as that. However, we have a Plan B, that might come off

Edited - grammar correction
Old May 4th 2006, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mjanovitz]
<Really big sigh>
Seems to me to be twice the house for the same money.

My chosen career takes a little longer to get in to which is the same as in the UK and my salary will also be slight lower. However it is nowhere near half of what we earned in the UK.
Are you basing your income on exchange rate or purchasing power? It will be almost always be lower based on exchange rate but if you get twice the house for the same money then it will be higher if based on purchasing power.
Old May 4th 2006, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dingbat]
Originally Posted by mjanovitz

You're back East. Things are markedly different as you go West, as it were. There is no public transport system outside of a downtown core where I am for example - and even then it's limited. Employment opportunities are plentiful in Ontario compared to say Saskatchewan or Manitoba. Your three month old £ sterling will be used up eventually and then you will be paying bills and buying [extortionate] groceries on the Can$ with the rest of us. It's expensive to live here, particulalrly if you have kids. But great news on the employment front - hope it all works out for you both. Yes, Heinz Beans are shite here. Must go home now.
So we could say that it depends where in Canada you decide to settle as an explantion for our different views. Thanks for the "hope it all works out".

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.