Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Working from home.

Working from home.

Old Nov 11th 2011, 4:02 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working from home.

Originally Posted by Scotty-CEng
LOL You neighbours must love you car breaking on your drive. I'd hate to see what that does to property prices!
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What a strange remark.
My thoughts too
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Scotty-CEng is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry probably I wasn't clear, on rereading my English wasn't the best. I was referring to Dave n Ailsa's comment about buying scrap cars and breaking them up for spares to sell. From his previous posts he suggests that he has to work from his driveway due to lack of space. I was merely commenting that his neighbours must enjoy looking out of their windows and seeing a "junkyard". As for the property prices comment, I am sure that kind of view wouldn't be high on the wish lists of many potential buyers, it certainly wouldn't be on mine.
Maybe I am just less tolerant than most
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:44 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry probably I wasn't clear, on rereading my English wasn't the best. I was referring to Dave n Ailsa's comment about buying scrap cars and breaking them up for spares to sell. From his previous posts he suggests that he has to work from his driveway due to lack of space. I was merely commenting that his neighbours must enjoy looking out of their windows and seeing a "junkyard". As for the property prices comment, I am sure that kind of view wouldn't be high on the wish lists of many potential buyers, it certainly wouldn't be on mine.
Nah, you were perfectly clear, I understand your concerns.

But you CAN work from home without your place looking like a Pikey Paradise lol.

I work outside during the day, when everyone is at work, so they don't need to see or hear what I'm up to.

I take my used oil/fluids to my local Recycling centre, and I used a driveway cleaner if I make a mess.

It also helps if you are friendly with the neighbours who know you will help them fix their cars if they're stuck.

When it stops looking like a car I put a nice big heavy cover over it.

I'd rather be in a large heated garage doing my work, so in Canada it will be part of the new house requirement that it has a large garage/workshop.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Scotty-CEng is an unknown quantity at this point

Lucky none of your neighbours work shifts then. One of my close neighbours does, and I could imagine what would happen if he was awoken from his slumbers during the day. In fact it would be proof that bears aren't extinct in the UK after all
Old Nov 11th 2011, 11:17 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Lucky none of your neighbours work shifts then. One of my close neighbours does, and I could imagine what would happen if he was awoken from his slumbers during the day. In fact it would be proof that bears aren't extinct in the UK after all
You're a glass half empty kinda guy aren't you
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:42 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Dave n Ailsa on this one. Scotty you sound like someone that would complain for the hell of it, I find your post fairly insulting.

My OH is also a car nut, it's an addiction really. He also works on his cars (quite often outside as he has run out of room). He is considerate of the noise he makes, he is considerate of the time of day - a lot of people make more noise mowing their grass. And our property is tidier than a neighbours that HAS been complained about. My OH has stripped two vehicles down to the bare bones this summer, it takes an evening, maybe tow to strip and then the car is picked up by the scrap guy, it does no harm.

We have just put a for sale sign on our front lawn, we have had complaints from the neighbours as we are moving and they don't want us too!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 3:09 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

This appears to be the norm in rural Canada so they'll fit right in
Old Nov 11th 2011, 3:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
This appears to be the norm in rural Canada so they'll fit right in
Consider appliances too, a partially dismantled refrigerator is a popular addition to a rural Canadian porch. Especially one that is almond or pea-soup green in colour.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 3:34 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Consider appliances too, a partially dismantled refrigerator is a popular addition to a rural Canadian porch. Especially one that is almond or pea-soup green in colour.
Dont forget the outdoor tarp covered snow tire display and the mandantary pickup hard top shed. Lol
Old Nov 11th 2011, 3:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
the mandantary pickup hard top shed. Lol
where the chickens live.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 3:56 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

People. Glass houses.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought of doing some voluntary work?

I did some in the UK & few of my friends thought I was nuts giving my time for nothing but what I got was rewarding in itself. Voluntary work seems quite popular here (well in NS that is) with the younger generation too which is great.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:53 pm

OR something like this - the scrap man will hopefully come to collect these in the next couple of weeks
Attached Thumbnails Working from home.-2011_1106haystack0516.jpg  
Old Nov 11th 2011, 7:41 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
OR something like this - the scrap man will hopefully come to collect these in the next couple of weeks
Have your neighbours property prices gone down much because of that?
Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo
Have your neighbours property prices gone down much because of that?
Dunno, don't think so, next door is listed at $540K. It's on the property we have JUST bought, nothing to do with us, well it is now, but they will be removed asap as that is where the shop/garage is going to go

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.