Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why not Manitoba or Saskatchewan?

Why not Manitoba or Saskatchewan?

Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default Why not Manitoba or Saskatchewan?

I have noticed on most of threads that the majority of would be immigrants from the UK want to live in either Ontario, Alberta, B.C. or Nova Scotia. Why are people not attracted to Manitoba or Sasketchewan? I can understand why they may not wish to live in some of the northern provinces, but why do these provinces, which are conveniently located close to the USA border, Alberta and Ontario etc, not appeal to most people?

I can accept that the population in both provinces is quite small for such vast territories (would appeal to some) and that work may be hard to come by, but from what I read, the same employment (or lack of it) problems can also be encountered in Ontario and the other popular provinces. Surely if you based yourself around a big city like Winnipeg you would have as good a chance of finding work as you would if you live around Hamilton, London, Kitchener etc.

So why is it that the majority of people do not consider these provinces?

To be honest, we are like most other people who have never really considered settling in these provinces, but having read about the places recently it got me wondering why not....

Can someone give me a list of the pros and cons of Manitoba, Saskatchewan etc. Is it the weather, high taxes, dear housing or what?

In Britain, people often want to move to Devon, Cornwall, The Lake District etc to get away from the rat race (it cannot be for work opportunities)....so why not the same for Manitoba or Saskatchewan?

I am really curious to know why, from a probable Ontario, N.S. or Alberta bound would be immigrant.

Last edited by Gray C; Mar 23rd 2005 at 9:21 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 11:05 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why not Manitoba or Saskatchewan?

We looked into both regina and saskatoon as well as nova scotia with ontario as third preferable option.

Ontario attracts because of its location and lots of different places to live ie lots of towns and citites in relative close proximty (4 Canada). Being in the construction industry this would mean more opportunites because of this factor.

Nova Scotia attracts because it is similar in relative terms to where we live in england rite now (Halifax is a similar sized city as Exeter) although more remote, it is on the east coast so its not as far from UK as other provinces and is close to the USA. I lived in London for a long time and dont particularly want 2 go back to the same kind of hustle and bustle that say Toronto would envoke.

Problem with Saskatchwen we felt was it was just to bland and empty outside of Regina and Saskatoon there didnt seem 2 be much else going on i dont think that we could stand living in a city surrounded by vast areas of nothingness.

My preferred choice is Nova Scotia but i am going to check out both there and Ontario over equal 6 week periods to get a better idea if it is either, neither or even stay in the UK!
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Problem with Saskatchwen we felt was it was just to bland and empty outside of Regina and Saskatoon there didnt seem 2 be much else going on i dont think that we could stand living in a city surrounded by vast areas of nothingness.

It's better to be a "Flatlander" to live in the prairies. Some people like the flat open spaces and others can't stand em.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:52 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

In one word. JOBS.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

There is nothing wrong with either of those provinces except the fact that they are less populated than others. So it depends on what you are looking for in life.

Any prairie province can have more extreme winter conditions than elsewhere. Simply because of the wind. There is nothing there to shield the wind so the winters can feel considerably cooler there. Having said that...the weather has changed so much over the years that nowhere seems to get the extremes that we used to have.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

In response to your question "what are we are looking for in life" The answer is, we really do not know to be certain, but we do like peace and tranquility, but not to the detriment of making a living.

We are considering buying a few lakeside cottages and letting them out as holiday lets. We are seriously looking at Ontario or N.S, but someone has told me that there is good potential to do this around some of the lakes near Winnipeg. We have not yet looked into this in detail and was hoping to get a few ideas from some of the more senior members on the forum who know the areas a lot better than we do.

It's alright to read sales literature from companies trying to sell you a business proposition in a particular area or province, but at the end of the day, they are in it for a profit and anything they say has got to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Unbiased opinions are what we require. We are just considering all our options

Originally Posted by dawnwynne
There is nothing wrong with either of those provinces except the fact that they are less populated than others. So it depends on what you are looking for in life.

Any prairie province can have more extreme winter conditions than elsewhere. Simply because of the wind. There is nothing there to shield the wind so the winters can feel considerably cooler there. Having said that...the weather has changed so much over the years that nowhere seems to get the extremes that we used to have.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:55 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

www.immigratemanitoba.com

Well non-working hours activates for Winters & summers here from me and some work buddies.

1. taxi's all winter in his spare time. Summer is Caving Potholing, Fishing, Camping, Bigfoot hunting every weekend. single 40+ guy. Has found some rather interesting fossils and teeth.

2. winter Snow moiling every Weekend almost, has a Winterised cottage 2 hours away.
Summer boating water skiing fishing and parasailing you name it on the lake in front of the cottage takes all holidays there. Family of 3

3. Winter Ice hockey, Ringette, Soccer, Scot Dancing, Spongee, Curling 1 or more for kids hubby and her. Seeing Family & friends having wacky fancy dress parties at someone's house at least once a month.
Summer week days Soccer, Dance, Most weekends at cottage on Lake Winnipeg. Family of 4

4. Winter River skating, walking dog at off leash parks, Soccer, Music, Army Cadets, Movies.
Summer Soccer, Music, Swimming in manmade lakes, Birds hill park, rollerblading, biking, Walking dog out in woodlands. Open house hunting. Family of 6

Have other friends who have kids in drama Schools, Gymnastics ( Rhythm and floor /bar etc) playing Lacrosse, Basketball, Volleyball ( last 2 big in Winnipeg, High schools). Met people from Brandon who spend most of the winter skiing in the Rolling down type hills in Western Manitoba. So if you like rural England life then you'll find it and loads of other new outdoor things to do. Didn't mention the guy that goes Animal hunting ( Bear, Deer, Duck, goose etc) or ice fishing as shopping on the hoof for meat just seems like way to much hard work. There is of course in Winnipeg Royal Ballet and other Arts type activities but never been interested in that lifestyle my self. $500 for a meal for two at a local Restraint is to expensive for my pocket.

Trouble with the prairies is you have to get up off your arse and get involved in your own entertainment because everyone else is to busy to chase you around making you do it.

Snow fall we have about 3-4 feet of non-drift snow in the front, but that's it the Whole winters dump.

Note if wind-chill is below -25c outdoor hockey is cancelled

Consider what you do now in your non-work holidays
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gray C
In response to your question "what are we are looking for in life" The answer is, we really do not know to be certain, but we do like peace and tranquility, but not to the detriment of making a living.

We are considering buying a few lakeside cottages and letting them out as holiday lets. We are seriously looking at Ontario or N.S, but someone has told me that there is good potential to do this around some of the lakes near Winnipeg. We have not yet looked into this in detail and was hoping to get a few ideas from some of the more senior members on the forum who know the areas a lot better than we do.

It's alright to read sales literature from companies trying to sell you a business proposition in a particular area or province, but at the end of the day, they are in it for a profit and anything they say has got to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Ah now that's a bit different...you have a specific business idea. I am not from Winnipeg so can't speak for that area specifically. I will bow out and let you wait for someone on the boards who is in the Winnipeg area to advise you on tourism etc for the region (not overly high I'd assume...but that is only an assumption). However there may be enough local interest for these types or rentals. They would know best.

I will add though that BC has high tourism and would be another good possibility for this type of venture. (just thought I'd throw one more in the mix )

This does bring up a point though (not directed specifically at anyone)...I know it's been said before...but for new posters...there are many of us here that would love to answer any and all questions about Canada...but it sure helps if when asking a question...you can be as specific as possible especially when it comes to geographical issues. The country is so vast and varied...that without specifics it's like asking how long is a piece of string. Each and every province has pros and cons dependent on your needs and desires. I'm not picking on you Gray...just using you as an example...hope you don't mind (I'll give you karma for allowing me to use you ) , but asking about the prairie provinces the way you did will not necessarily bring you the most informative response. But by following up with the added info you did...should illicit a much more useful one.

Good luck where ever you decide to call home.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dawnwynne

Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that we are open minded about all provinces (well nearly all), so if you have any recommendations for any area where you live that may be suitable to meet our needs, please feel free to offer advice. Thanks for the Karma

Originally Posted by dawnwynne
Ah now that's a bit different...you have a specific business idea. I am not from Winnipeg so can't speak for that area specifically. I will bow out and let you wait for someone on the boards who is in the Winnipeg area to advise you on tourism etc for the region (not overly high I'd assume...but that is only an assumption). However there may be enough local interest for these types or rentals. They would know best.

I will add though that BC has high tourism and would be another good possibility for this type of venture. (just thought I'd throw one more in the mix )

This does bring up a point though (not directed specifically at anyone)...I know it's been said before...but for new posters...there are many of us here that would love to answer any and all questions about Canada...but it sure helps if when asking a question...you can be as specific as possible especially when it comes to geographical issues. The country is so vast and varied...that without specifics it's like asking how long is a piece of string. Each and every province has pros and cons dependent on your needs and desires. I'm not picking on you Gray...just using you as an example...hope you don't mind (I'll give you karma for allowing me to use you ) , but asking about the prairie provinces the way you did will not necessarily bring you the most informative response. But by following up with the added info you did...should illicit a much more useful one.

Good luck where ever you decide to call home.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 7:31 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gray C

Didn't see this post before sending the last answer.

Cottages?? You'll be had pressed to find them. Government just sold off some lots for cottages and the were over subscribed or in wrong areas.

Apparently Big thing is hunting fishing, as for talking to someone that in it for your to succeed for the province to improve its revenue from Tourist talk to these people. http://www.gov.mb.ca/trade/

But be warned 68% of Manitoban Tourist revenue is from Manitobans. An most already have cottages.

Last edited by Grah; Mar 23rd 2005 at 7:48 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

heycronie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grah
Didn't see this post before sending the last answer.

Cottages?? You'll be had pressed to find them. Government just sold off some lots for cottages and the were over subscribed or in wrong areas.

Apparently Big thing is hunting fishing, as for talking to someone that in it for your to succeed for the province to improve its revenue from Tourist talk to these people. http://www.gov.mb.ca/trade/

But be warned 68% of Manitoban Tourist revenue is from Manitobans. An most already have cottages.
Excuse me, Im from Canada, whats a cottage?
Old Mar 24th 2005, 2:32 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heycronie
A type of car.

Ford, I think.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 2:34 am
Glaswegian

I believe it's something they have in Ontario ... I hear that cottaging is a very popular activity out that way.

Old Mar 24th 2005, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

heycronie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
I believe it's something they have in Ontario ... I hear that cottaging is a very popular activity out that way.

Ok pardon my ignorance. Not many single storied houses in the big cities.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 2:46 am
Glaswegian

Ok pardon my ignorance. Not many single storied houses in the big cities.
Well, they're usually called bungalows in cities .... you usually find them in "suburbs" ...

Come on then ... you still haven't admitted where you are ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.