Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why not Manitoba or Saskatchewan?

Why not Manitoba or Saskatchewan?

Old Mar 25th 2005, 6:57 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why not Manitoba or Saskatchewan?

BC's "social" programs are no better than anywhere else in Canada. The myth that they are better is because the weather is milder, the scenery is prettier - so being homeless in Vancouver/the Island but on the beach in the summer, is marginally preferable to being homeless in dreary Saskatoon. (yes, I have been to Saskatoon).

Most of the major programs are funded through MHR - federal - so they are standardized. The community based ones vary dramatically, depending on the local politics, religious groups and demographic mix. Most social programs are now are geared to women, women with kids or unemployables (CLS, metal health, drug & alcohol issues). Keeping them in programs keeps them off the unemployment statistics - just like the UK. BC's employment rate is utterly misleading, as it is not adjusted for seasonal influxes at the correct time of year - i.e. summer and winter - Campbell's government quietly "even" the numbers out for the remaining months.

Basically, if you are or find yourself destitute in BC you will be just as badly off as you would be anywhere else. The kicker is that at least in the aforementioned dreary Saskatoon you can find somewhere to live that your welfare cheque might cover; in BC, forget it unless you are up North where no sane minded human would want to live anyway.

Last edited by dingbat; Mar 25th 2005 at 6:59 pm. Reason: I can't spell today
Old Mar 25th 2005, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

But, I hear BC has a good social program ... I've now perfected the William Tell Overture with my tin tray and I'm working on the Flight of the Valkyrie ... I believe Willmore has found a good corner for me for the duration of the Victoria tourist season ....[/QUOTE]

I sure do. I reserved a spot right in front of the Douglas Hotel, so if the going gets really tough, you can mug the drunks and drug addicts as they go in or come out of the hotel on "welfare Wednesday"......

Hope that puppy training is going well for you.....that's really going to make or break you.....
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by billyinscotland
Now that things are back to normal Biiiiink, i`d be interested to know what you thought of Winnipeg during your visit. In 2003 i took a couple of trips to Winnipeg. First time driving from Calgary, which took about 12 hours along the TC1 (Saskatchewan was flat, with not much to see, although i only saw the part the TC passes through). The next time Glasgow to Toronto, then onto Winnipeg with Westjet(i`ve since used Jetsgo as well, both excellent flights, and pretty cheap). The big thing i found was that visiting and actually living there is like night and day, it`s only after a few months that you get a feel for a place. There are some beautiful areas of the city, and unfortunately, some really run-down parts, The North End in particular, and downtown around the Woodbine hotel/Disraeli bridge area. Wages are pretty low, even compared to other areas of Canada, and although house prices are reasonable, the better areas are in demand, and getting more expensive. There are lots of beautiful parks in the city, and lots of lakes within an hour or so drive from the perimmiter highway. One of my neighbors drove to his cabin at Lake of the woods in Ontario nearly every weekend, supplying us with fresh fish most weeks, and some great venison a few times . The mozzies were a problem for us, they seem to like Scottish blood, and i loved it the day after the fogging in our area, being able to sit on the decking without being bitten to death,lol. Last year seemed to have a murder a week in the city, with the local newspapers declaring it the murder capital of Canada. Just some of my thoughts, and not meant to offend anyone or put them off Manitoba, but it`s not all beer and barbecue`s (although i did both pretty much every night
Hey Billy - have been thinking of you lately, how's it all going? We're still in Winnipeg - a whole year now yahoo!! I still love it here but hubby's still a little unsure - finding work is really tough. A word of warning to others looking to get in the job market, don't be surprised if you have to start at the bottom and work up. That seems to be the norm. here so if you come in with managerial experience for instance you may find it hard work getting in at a decent level. We're getting back on our feet though and of course every person has different levels of experience, it can just be a little disconcerting when they (the local government) like to advertise just how many jobs there are in the city. Also there is a shortage of housing so the house prices are creeping up and up and places can sell in a week. Great for sellers but for buyers strapped for cash it ain't much fun! Ha well, I still really love the area and feel very much at home. We're just waiting to see how hubby gets on before we make any long lasting decisions!!
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Why not Manitoba or Saskatchewan?

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Hi Billy,

We wanted to rent but can't find anywhere that'll take a dog, so are looking into buying now.

Biiiiink
Hi Biiiiink - is your dog large or small? I have a list of places that accept dogs in houses and apartments. I'll add some links below. Often they have prerequisites such as dogs should only so high, or such and such a weight so it can be tricky for sure! I did find somewhere suitable for our black Lab. but it's not near the North End, however it's only 20 mins. from downtown. If you're interested you are welcome to send me a private message on the forum and I'll send more details. Meanwhile here's a list of other places you can try:

http://www.homebase.ca
http://www.places4rent.com/index/manitoba.html (here you can search properties or place an ad. for free)
http://www.rentcanada.com
or try the Winnipeg Humane Society for a list of pet friendly rentals at:
http://www.winnipeghumanesociety.ca/...Apartments.php (it says apartments but you can also find townhouses - literal translation of townhouse is terrace or row house). Housing co-ops are also worth considering too as they often accept family pets.

Hope that's a help! Good luck in your move!!
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for thinking of us CrazyDaisy - in fact it was your helpful previous post on dogs in Winnipeg that got us started working through the humane society list. We've found most places will only take a dog that's less than 15inches shoulder height...so cat-sized in effect hehe Our golden retriever is 25inches.

But having done the sums comparing buying with renting, I think we're going to go down the buying route. We're in Winnipeg for 2yrs and not knowing if we'll want to stay after that, we hadn't even considered buying but I think it will be right for us in this instance. Actually, the dog is extremely well-behaved and has never damaged anything (puppy chewing sessions excluded) - it's the toddler we were really getting concerned about losing security deposits over

We're moving in 4wks, have taken 2mths temporary furnished apartment next to the Delta (can use their pool, yippee) and by that time we hope to have made a purchase and get the dog shipped over.

Looking forward to my first Manitoban summer!

Thanks again,

Biiiiink

Originally Posted by crazydaisy
Hi Biiiiink - is your dog large or small? I have a list of places that accept dogs in houses and apartments. I'll add some links below. Often they have prerequisites such as dogs should only so high, or such and such a weight so it can be tricky for sure! I did find somewhere suitable for our black Lab. but it's not near the North End, however it's only 20 mins. from downtown. If you're interested you are welcome to send me a private message on the forum and I'll send more details. Meanwhile here's a list of other places you can try:

http://www.homebase.ca
http://www.places4rent.com/index/manitoba.html (here you can search properties or place an ad. for free)
http://www.rentcanada.com
or try the Winnipeg Humane Society for a list of pet friendly rentals at:
http://www.winnipeghumanesociety.ca/...Apartments.php (it says apartments but you can also find townhouses - literal translation of townhouse is terrace or row house). Housing co-ops are also worth considering too as they often accept family pets.

Hope that's a help! Good luck in your move!!
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 12:21 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
I believe it's something they have in Ontario ... I hear that cottaging is a very popular activity out that way.
Now, now Glaswegian. You're showing that ironic and deeply sardonic celtic humour. Do the Pet Shopy boys hail from that area

Do potential immigrants discard Saskatche---, Saksawatche---, Satabattywa--.....oh forget it! It's just too difficult to spell. Live somewhere you can tell your friends about.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 2:33 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Madmac
Now, now Glaswegian. You're showing that ironic and deeply sardonic celtic humour. Do the Pet Shopy boys hail from that area

Do potential immigrants discard Saskatche---, Saksawatche---, Satabattywa--.....oh forget it! It's just too difficult to spell. Live somewhere you can tell your friends about.
....but very easy to draw!

D
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Many thanks for thinking of us CrazyDaisy - in fact it was your helpful previous post on dogs in Winnipeg that got us started working through the humane society list. We've found most places will only take a dog that's less than 15inches shoulder height...so cat-sized in effect hehe Our golden retriever is 25inches.

But having done the sums comparing buying with renting, I think we're going to go down the buying route. We're in Winnipeg for 2yrs and not knowing if we'll want to stay after that, we hadn't even considered buying but I think it will be right for us in this instance. Actually, the dog is extremely well-behaved and has never damaged anything (puppy chewing sessions excluded) - it's the toddler we were really getting concerned about losing security deposits over

We're moving in 4wks, have taken 2mths temporary furnished apartment next to the Delta (can use their pool, yippee) and by that time we hope to have made a purchase and get the dog shipped over.

Looking forward to my first Manitoban summer!

Thanks again,

Biiiiink
No problemo - getting into the housing market ain't such a bad thing right now anyway as the house prices are rising 10% or something and Winnipeg population keeps expanding so housing is becoming more of a shortage. (Plus the planners hadn't thought ahead so there is little land left that is connected to the mains/cables/sewage etc.) That means that in even 2 years you may get a profit on the house when selling on. We're currently saving up for a deposit which will probably take 2 years so you never know, we may end up buying from you!!