British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Why move to Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/why-move-canada-655540/)

macadian Feb 21st 2010 7:39 pm

Re: Why move to Canada?

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 8363072)
What about u?

Would be good to have a Resident Boffin at the Iqaluit Arms Qiz Night.

Or someone to beat with sticks if you loose...:lol:.

Jingsamichty Feb 21st 2010 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 8363102)
But Iqaluit's not on Boffin Island you know.

So you say, but I'm having Nunavut.

gingnut Feb 22nd 2010 5:49 am

Originally Posted by eduardj72 (Post 8355422)
Hi everyone. I ve been trying to find an answer from the posts on this forum but so far failed. This is the reason I am posting a direct question. Why do people immigrate to Canada? I am from the former soviet union republic and I understand why people what to leave those countries, but I am somewhat bewildered when people from the UK-a quite well off country with stable economy decide to immigrate to Canada or Australia. Can somebody give me a few ideas why?

Its a way to experience what its like to live in Siberia without having to learn a new language.

Oink Feb 22nd 2010 7:11 am

Don't move here, its shit.

el_richo Feb 22nd 2010 8:51 am

Originally Posted by hampshire (Post 8362677)
My take on this is that the UK are too scared to say no. Instead we have to keep all the minorities happy at the expense of the majority. I have just read the following article:
http://news.aol.co.uk/harman-plays-down-school-skirt-ban/article/20100221083541686882880?icid=main|uk|dl1|link4|htt p%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.co.uk%2Fharman-plays-down-school-skirt-ban%2Farticle%2F20100221083541686882880
This is from the deputy leader of our Government and shows you how the UK and Europe have completely lost the plot! We have ridiculous health and safety laws which takes away the fact that accidents happen and always have. We have to watch what we say and do so as not to offend everyone. My issue isn't just with the UK- the downturn and demise has really been since our Government handed power and lawmaking to Brussels without us even having a referendum. Everything here is done underhand. I am under no illusion that Canada have the same issues but my understanding (and I do welcome your comments as a potential immigrant!) is that there is not so much madness. The police have their hands tied. I live in a small village and a friend's daughter was beaten up quite badly. The thugs said they didn't do it and the victim said they did (her face was black and blue so I don't think she would have done this to herself!) and the police had to let them off as there was a 'conflicting' story!!! Of course there would be- they won't admit it!!! You can't shop to the police safely without fear of recrimination and the conflicting evidence issue pops up again. Gosh- I could go on forever. The long and short of this is that I don't want my daughter growing up in this environment and I don't see things changing for the better.

No different in Canada i'm afraid.

el_richo Feb 22nd 2010 8:55 am

Originally Posted by blue monday (Post 8362485)
Don't think I ever said I was not proud to be British.

Thats prob a big reason why so many of us can't wait to leave the place, no pride in being British anymore.

What's that then? :p

Did you mean to say - "That's prob a big reason why so many of us can't wait to leave the place. Some people have no pride in being British any more."

I haven't got the time or inclantion to list all the examples in regard to not flying the flag

Nope, you just can't provide any ;)

Good luck on your educational endeavour though. Maybe after you succeeded you could pop over to Quebec and teach those French speaking fannies how to speak proper English :thumbup:

AndySimmo89 Feb 22nd 2010 12:58 pm

Hey guys, new here.

Flag thing; Yeah i had the st georges cross on my car once, on an england match....

I parked up near a mosque (oops?) and alot of asian people had a go at me for displaying the flag on my car... which i thought was out of order. (I am not being racist)

It depends where you are in the UK, and depends on the person and your local community, example: centre of bradford.

At the end of the day, alot of Sikhs etc display their religious logos on their car, but that person himself may not be doing it to be racist or spark a territorial arguement, but people who do not follow that religion may argue why are you displaying that flag?

I'm not racist and I believe everyone should be entitled to their own freedoms etc etc without inteference from others..

I don't take kindly to people acting agressive to me for displaying my flag, but hey, they have their opinions right? and tell me, how many of us british go to spain wearing our england tshirts etc etc? So stop with the rivalry instinct.

Anyways moving on....

if anyone could give me information about moving to vancouver, bc, canada from the UK that would be greatful...

I'm in hopes of attending a school there (after university) even though it is expensive to study there hehe (£18,000 woah)

I'd like informative replies please, I don't want silly comments about how canada is rubbish etc, I love the UK, I love vancouver BC.

I want to move to study in canada and settle there hopefully for a new life and a change of culture.

I've read up BUNAC, which i may travel to Vancouver for 2months with my girlfriend and sister to work and experience vancouver from a living perspective.

Thanks guys!

(I don't intend to spark an arguement, im just sick of reading these silly comments about everything when i want information)

el_richo Feb 22nd 2010 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by AndySimmo89 (Post 8365014)
...im just sick of reading these silly comments about everything when i want information

Then stop reading them.

I'd start a brand new thread that focusses on your question if i were you. Otherwise this will just drown in the crappola around it ;)

dbd33 Feb 22nd 2010 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 8365047)
Otherwise this will just drown in the crappola around it ;)

Achieved within itself, innit?

el_richo Feb 22nd 2010 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8365051)
Achieved within itself, innit?

You're darn tooting

iaink Feb 22nd 2010 1:31 pm

(I don't intend to spark an arguement, im just sick of reading these silly comments about everything when i want information)

Thread drift and questionable humour are one of the er....charms? of this place.

After 200+ posts you are best to ask any sensible questions in a new thread.

I guess no one reads the wonderful tips wiki linked to in the "newcomers to the forum" sticky post...

AndySimmo89 Feb 22nd 2010 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 8365047)
Then stop reading them.

I'd start a brand new thread that focusses on your question if i were you. Otherwise this will just drown in the crappola around it ;)

Lawl, its difficult not to! i was looking why people wanted to move to canada then the whole rant started haha ;).

Thanks for the tip bud.

srixongolfball Feb 22nd 2010 2:50 pm

Hi, I am from Canada and have also been to Britain on holidays.

In my opinion a good reason to come to Canada is because you can own land. Other than that, I don't really understand why people come here to live in a big city- It doesn't make sense to me. Big cities are big cities- London is cooler than anywhere in Canada.

mocol Feb 22nd 2010 3:12 pm

)

Welcome to BE - I like the way you think!

Oink Feb 22nd 2010 3:21 pm

Hey guys, new here.

Flag thing; Yeah i had the st georges cross on my car once, on an england match....

I parked up near a mosque (oops?) and alot of asian people had a go at me for displaying the flag on my car... which i thought was out of order. (I am not being racist)

It depends where you are in the UK, and depends on the person and your local community, example: centre of bradford.

At the end of the day, alot of Sikhs etc display their religious logos on their car, but that person himself may not be doing it to be racist or spark a territorial arguement, but people who do not follow that religion may argue why are you displaying that flag?

I'm not racist and I believe everyone should be entitled to their own freedoms etc etc without inteference from others..

I don't take kindly to people acting agressive to me for displaying my flag, but hey, they have their opinions right? and tell me, how many of us british go to spain wearing our england tshirts etc etc? So stop with the rivalry instinct.

Anyways moving on....

if anyone could give me information about moving to vancouver, bc, canada from the UK that would be greatful...

I'm in hopes of attending a school there (after university) even though it is expensive to study there hehe (£18,000 woah)

I'd like informative replies please, I don't want silly comments about how canada is rubbish etc, I love the UK, I love vancouver BC.

I want to move to study in canada and settle there hopefully for a new life and a change of culture.

I've read up BUNAC, which i may travel to Vancouver for 2months with my girlfriend and sister to work and experience vancouver from a living perspective.

Thanks guys!

Can anyone remember whether Sikhs got exempted from having to wear motorcycle helmets in the end? I'm writing a letter to the Vancouver Province on the subject and I don't know whether to start it with 'it's a rare victory for common sense' or 'yet another case of political correctness gone mad'.

el_richo Feb 22nd 2010 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 8365330)
Can anyone remember whether Sikhs got exempted from having to wear motorcycle helmets in the end? I'm writing a letter to the Vancouver Province on the subject and I don't know whether to start it with 'it's a rare victory for common sense' or 'yet another case of political correctness gone mad'.

They can't ride bikes so it's a moot decision.

They are allowed to carry ceremonial samurai swords though so that's pretty cool.

Oink Feb 22nd 2010 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 8365346)
They can't ride bikes so it's a moot decision.

They are allowed to carry ceremonial samurai swords though so that's pretty cool.

Really, is it against the Shikish religion to ride motorbikes at all? :confused:

el_richo Feb 22nd 2010 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 8365360)
Really, is it against the Shikish religion to ride motorbikes at all? :confused:

No, they're just shit.

dthomas Feb 22nd 2010 3:41 pm

Can anyone remember whether Sikhs got exempted from having to wear motorcycle helmets in the end?

Last I read they have to "pad up" the turban a little . . .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph...n_1215927i.jpg

Oink Feb 22nd 2010 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 8365362)
No, they're just shit.

It's a good job Evel Knievel wasn't a Skih. I doubt he'd have survived his jump across the Snake River Canyon on a rocket-powered motorbike with just a bit of cloth wrapped a couple of times around his head. It's certainly food for thought.

Jingsamichty Feb 22nd 2010 4:08 pm

When it comes to religious headgear, Sikhs rock. They make Jews like like amateurs with their silly little skull caps.

Maybe the Pope should make a new rule that all Catholics have to wear a mitre (that's the big Pope & bishop's hat). That would give the Sikhs a bit of competition in the old 'holy hat' stakes!

AndySimmo89 Feb 22nd 2010 4:16 pm

LOL.

'Drifting' indeed.

Oink Feb 22nd 2010 4:24 pm

The Australians have their didgeridoos, the Scotch have got bagpipes, the Austrians have Alpine horns... It seems every country is allowed to have a national musical instrument except the English. I dare say we're not allowed one in case it "causes offence" to other nationalities. I'm not being racist.

Jingsamichty Feb 22nd 2010 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 8365478)
The Australians have their didgeridoos, the Scotch have got bagpipes, the Austrians have Alpine horns... It seems every country is allowed to have a national musical instrument except the English. I dare say we're not allowed one in case it "causes offence" to other nationalities. I'm not being racist.

The stoicism of the Englishman is truly a thing of wonder.

Novocastrian Feb 22nd 2010 8:04 pm

It's Scottish, you sassenach bastard. I'm not being racist.

Pammy Feb 22nd 2010 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by eduardj72 (Post 8355422)
Hi everyone. I ve been trying to find an answer from the posts on this forum but so far failed. This is the reason I am posting a direct question. Why do people immigrate to Canada? I am from the former soviet union republic and I understand why people what to leave those countries, but I am somewhat bewildered when people from the UK-a quite well off country with stable economy decide to immigrate to Canada or Australia. Can somebody give me a few ideas why?

Money, Eggs, Hockey, a summer of sorts!

Novocastrian Feb 22nd 2010 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pammy (Post 8365950)

But surely the quality of the eggs is outweighed by the cost of the cheese?

Pammy Feb 22nd 2010 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 8365959)
But surely the quality of the eggs is outweighed by the cost of the cheese?

I remember someone yakkin on about cheese before, to be honest I never notice, I just buy what I want, do miss Wensleydale cheese though, they do it with ruddy cranberries here....yuk!, the red/white wine package at Safeway is good.....I digress!

iaink Feb 22nd 2010 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Pammy (Post 8365966)
do miss Wensleydale cheese though,

My local (loblaws) independent has cranberry free wensleydale at the deli counter... .

Les Butler Feb 23rd 2010 12:50 pm

French Canadian(Ok Québecoise) wife who did not like Waddon Croydon !

A few of us (Brits) sitting around a table in a bar here in Montreal asked the same question after we just played a round of golf on a nice hot summer day and we came to the conclusion that it's like being on holiday.

We are all in our 50's play golf still try to play football and just do things activity wise that my family and mates back home just do not do unless it revolves round the pub

I am unskilled have a small biz (have a job going if anyone wants one ;)) and it just seems easier here.

Howefamily Feb 23rd 2010 1:16 pm

completely agree!!!!

Howefamily Feb 23rd 2010 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Les Butler (Post 8367736)
French Canadian(Ok Québecoise) wife who did not like Waddon Croydon !

A few of us (Brits) sitting around a table in a bar here in Montreal asked the same question after we just played a round of golf on a nice hot summer day and we came to the conclusion that it's like being on holiday.

We are all in our 50's play golf still try to play football and just do things activity wise that my family and mates back home just do not do unless it revolves round the pub

I am unskilled have a small biz (have a job going if anyone wants one ;)) and it just seems easier here.

This is one of my main reasons to move to, fed up with the pub culture here

iaink Feb 23rd 2010 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 8367798)
completely agree!!!!

The problem is the English national instrument is those annoying morris bells isnt it?, and they cause offence even to the English, so what are ya gonna do?

dbd33 Feb 23rd 2010 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 8367809)
The problem is the English national instrument is those annoying morris bells isnt it?, and they cause offence even to the English, so what are ya gonna do?

You do know that they have sides here and in New York State? There's no escaping those bells. Worse, some places here, and even in America, have pubs and people drink in them! People with bells on. And others. Dogs, country, yadda.

iaink Feb 23rd 2010 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8367874)
You do know that they have sides here and in New York State? There's no escaping those bells. Worse, some places here, and even in America, have pubs and people drink in them! People with bells on. And others. Dogs, country, yadda.

No, I was blissfully ignorant until now. Where are these places, in order that I may avoid them?

dbd33 Feb 23rd 2010 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 8367901)
No, I was blissfully ignorant until now. Where are these places, in order that I may avoid them?

If you properly want to avoid pub culture then I suggest Provo UT or Dundalk ON. Bigger places, even Utahan ones such as Salt Lake City, have a thriving social scene. In Provo religionists dominate.

Dundalk does have bars but the terrifying physicality of the customers and the way in which they look similar to one another, sharing the same thoughts to the point of not needing ever to speak, makes the places bars and not pubs; "a liquor license with stools". It would be a stretch to call that a "culture" of any sort.

katybennett1984 Feb 23rd 2010 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Pammy (Post 8365950)

You think Canadian eggs are good...?

dbd33 Feb 23rd 2010 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by katybennett1984 (Post 8368017)
You think Canadian eggs are good...?

If you keep chickens in Canada you can get good eggs.

katybennett1984 Feb 23rd 2010 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8368025)
If you keep chickens in Canada you can get good eggs.

Unless the Canadian chickens are extraspecial, surely you can get equal quality of eggs from chickens in Britain?

dbd33 Feb 23rd 2010 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by katybennett1984 (Post 8368028)
Unless the Canadian chickens are extraspecial, surely you can get equal quality of eggs from chickens in Britain?

I imagine so but, in Britain, one can just wander down to a shop and buy free range eggs. Why trouble to keep a chicken?