British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Why move to Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/why-move-canada-655540/)

dbd33 Feb 19th 2010 1:50 pm

Re: Why move to Canada?

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert (Post 8357709)
Thankyou dbd for that;)
Perhaps bullshit is the right word for a country that wont let foreign workers actually work and still lets in 250,00 every month. A country that is full of bullshit that stops company owners from getting LMOs and rather see a company close because it cannot find Canadians to actually work, perhaps you are so full of shit that you cannot see what is happening or maybe you are a true Canadian blinded by that fact.:sneaky:

Are you claiming 250,000 immigrants per month + 150,000 emigrants for a net influx of 100,000 per month; 1,200,000 per year?

No wonder the Toronto airport is such a **** up.

backhomeagain Feb 19th 2010 1:53 pm

well dbd,
Having attended a seminar for foreign workers in a room that holds probably no more than 70 plus the staff, the wife and me were the only "white people" attending. We felt third class - god only knows what a Canadian must be thinking when he sees all these Asians, Mexicans, Spanish, Vietnamese and Chinese everywhere.

iaink Feb 19th 2010 1:54 pm

Thankyou dbd for that;)
Perhaps bullshit is the right word for a country that wont let foreign workers actually work and still lets in 250,00 every month. A country that is full of bullshit that stops company owners from getting LMOs and rather see a company close because it cannot find Canadians to actually work, perhaps you are so full of shit that you cannot see what is happening or maybe you are a true Canadian blinded by that fact.:sneaky:

Im a foreign worker, I was allowed to work? Im almost certain that Im not the only one!

One bad experience, that we are not privy to the circumstances of, does not necessarily have to reflect on the country as a whole. The LMO process exists for the greater good. Now, I cant see how in that specific case it was for the greater good, but there are rules and they are there to be followed. In most cases they work well.

Maybe we are not the ones being blinded here?

iaink Feb 19th 2010 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert (Post 8357741)
well dbd,
CUT.

You are bordering on racism now. Any more and it will be cut, and you with it. Perhaps the average canadian can see beyond the colour of someones skin?

dbd33 Feb 19th 2010 1:55 pm

well dbd,
Having attended a seminar for foreign workers in a room that holds probably no more than 70 plus the staff, the wife and me were the only "white people" attending. We felt third class - god only knows what a Canadian must be thinking when he sees all these Asians, Mexicans, Spanish, Vietnamese and Chinese everywhere.

Why would you feel third class? Those people are immigrants, you're immigrants, there'd only be a case to differentiate between attendees if some of them were cradles.

Atlantic Xpat Feb 19th 2010 1:59 pm

Thankyou dbd for that;)

Not that you are interested in letting facts get in the way of what appear to be deeply held predjudices, but third quarter 09 immigration was around 75k people. Emigration, or to translate it for you 'white people fleeing the ethnic hell that is Canada' was a mere 11k. Your 150k per week figure is as laughable as you are offensive.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quoti...1223b1-eng.htm

PaulOK Feb 19th 2010 2:00 pm

well dbd,

You'll love it back in England 'Squiddgealert'. Nick Griffin and the BNP are going great guns at the moment and he may even be elected as an MP in May. You can get back there in time to join the Party!!! :D :D :D

BTW My wife is Chinese, daughter bi-racial and I find it offensive when they are characterized as less than OK (as in your post above). Maybe you should leave your jackboots at the door before continuing posting, my friend.

chrisfromusa Feb 19th 2010 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by PaulOK (Post 8357767)
You'll love it back in England 'Squiddgealert'. Nick Griffin and the BNP are going great guns at the moment and he may even be elected as an MP in May. You can get back there in time to join the Party!!! :D :D :D

BTW My wife is Chinese, daughter bi-racial and I find it offensive when they are characterized as less than OK (as in your post above). Maybe you should leave your jackboots at the door before continuing posting, my friend.

Would he be racist if he was from a visible minority?

dbd33 Feb 19th 2010 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa (Post 8357795)
Would he be racist if he was from a visible minority?

Of course.

"Mmmm, think of all those Chinese, Colombians, Vietnamese, Asians, and Africans taking over the Maple leaf."

would be a racist statement from the fingers of an Inuit as much as it is from those of a white man.

backhomeagain Feb 19th 2010 2:16 pm

As a final comment regarding Canada, I think it sucks, big time Those who got the permanent residence - fair play. But I bet you had to virtually tell them the colour of your undies to get that PR. And what right does a government have to know how much money you have? What, cant the eggheads come up with another idea? Or is it so acceptable to people now that telling the government they have x amount of dollars in the bank so they can find ways of taking it away from them? Talk about legal robbery, Canada seems to have got that down to a fine art.
A country steeped in crap like it is - you can shove it. I'm outta here very soon and my only regret is coming here. Wish me good riddance all you want, it just reinforces what I believe about Canada - keep your Vietnamese, your Asians, your Chinese because very soon you Canadians will be the minority and very soon fluttering in the breeze high above parliament wont be your beloved the Maple Leaf.

I've never experienced as many two faced, back stabbing people as I have within the last two years. UK is not perfect, but at least we dont have to complete a life story on paper to get a job.

Dont belive me? Just scroll back throught the pages and read other comments similar to mine - we cant all be wrong.

iaink Feb 19th 2010 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert (Post 8357817)
As a final comment regarding Canada, I think it sucks, big time .

REALLY? I would never have guessed.

Thanks for clearing that up, and especially for it being a FINAL comment. Dont let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

They want to know that immigrants have been sucessfull in their previous life, and having managed to accrue a certain amount of assets is a way to determine that. Canada does not want to import losers.

readytomove Feb 19th 2010 2:19 pm

well dbd,

Do you somehow feel you have more right to be in Canada than any of the Asians, Mexican, Spanish, Vietnamese or Chinese in that room with you just because you are white? It's clearly never crossed your mind that any one of those people could be better educated, more highly skilled and a bigger asset to Canada than you are.

backhomeagain Feb 19th 2010 2:19 pm

another typical canadian :rofl:

dbd33 Feb 19th 2010 2:20 pm

because very soon you Canadians will be the minority

Lord Vader's already in the minority here.

backhomeagain Feb 19th 2010 2:23 pm

fek me atlantic.
Being offensive doesnt even come close.:p

Partially discharged Feb 19th 2010 2:42 pm

As a final comment regarding Canada, I think it sucks, big time

And what ****ing right does a government have to know how much money you have? I'm outta here very soon and my only regret is coming here. Wish me good riddance all you want, it just reinforces what I believe about Canada - keep your Vietnamese, your Asians, your Chinese because very soon you Canadians will be the minority and very soon fluttering in the breeze high above parliament wont be your beloved the Maple Leaf.

:fingerscrossed: your exit from Canada won't take too long as your tiresome rants on this forum are rather tiresome. We get it...you don't like Canada, Canada doesn't like you and it is all because 'immigrants' are taking all of the jobs. The irony in this is unbelievable.

chrisfromusa Feb 19th 2010 2:45 pm

As a final comment regarding Canada, I think it sucks, big time Those who got the permanent residence - fair play. But I bet you had to virtually tell them the colour of your undies to get that PR. And what ****ing right does a government have to know how much money you have? What, cant the eggheads come up with another idea? Or is it so acceptable to people now that telling the government they have x amount of dollars in the bank so they can find ways of taking it away from them? Talk about legal robbery, Canada seems to have got that down to a fine art.
A country steeped in ****ing crap like it is - you can shove it up yer ass. I'm outta here very soon and my only regret is coming here. Wish me good riddance all you want, it just reinforces what I believe about Canada - keep your Vietnamese, your Asians, your Chinese because very soon you Canadians will be the minority and very soon fluttering in the breeze high above parliament wont be your beloved the Maple Leaf.

I've never experienced as many two faced, back stabbing people as I have within the last two years. UK is not perfect, but at least we dont have to complete a life story on paper to get a job.

Dont belive me? Just scroll back throught the pages and read other comments similar to mine - we cant all be wrong.

If you think Canada is bad, think you might slit your wrists if you came here! But hey Canada, just like the U.S., isn't for everybody. Me thinks you just ran into a bad patch and emigrated to the wrong spot? Or you came here expecting to live like they do in the Rockies or whatever? I live in a border state and the opinions are a mixed bag, so, probably give somewhere else a chance instead of generalizing all 35 million people, don't give up yet. And guessing from all the Asian comments you're making, I'm guessing you emigrated to BC?

backhomeagain Feb 19th 2010 2:47 pm

whats the story with USA then?
Looks like machining jobs are advertised by the hundreds:blink:

Jingsamichty Feb 19th 2010 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by PaulOK (Post 8357767)

Is that Paulo di Canio in your avatar?

backhomeagain Feb 19th 2010 2:49 pm

partially discharged - heh, thats a good name - (EH!) needs flushing down the crapper

PaulOK Feb 19th 2010 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert (Post 8357828)
another typical canadian :rofl:

Boy...I bet Canadians are really sad you're going home soon ;)

BTW don't you find it deliciously ironic that an immigrant to Canada is complaining about immigration to Canada? Funny old world, eh?

Falcore Feb 19th 2010 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by PaulOK (Post 8357927)
Boy...I bet Canadians are really sad you're going home soon ;)

BTW don't you find it deliciously ironic that an immigrant to Canada is complaining about immigration to Canada? Funny old world, eh?

Thats the bit I dont get. What is it that makes him think hes any different to any other immigrant?

backhomeagain Feb 19th 2010 2:52 pm

Paul
Dont worry old son - this is one immigrant that is glad not to be an immigrant for much longer.:rofl:

backhomeagain Feb 19th 2010 2:53 pm

Falcore
Step inside my shoes and you will understand. It wil become all so clear:blink:

iaink Feb 19th 2010 2:54 pm

OK, please dont feed any poster you might consider to be trolling.

Feel free to report any post beyond this point that may be considered as offensive, racist or abusive.

PaulOK Feb 19th 2010 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Falcore (Post 8357938)
Thats the bit I dont get. What is it that makes him think hes any different to any other immigrant?

'cause he's a White man and some white men think they have the god-given right to live anywhere on the planet they choose (unlike the Blacks, Browns, Yellows etc.).

I think it's all sour grapes though. He couldn't get a new LMO so is forced to return to England - if he had managed to get one, and get PR, then his tune would be somewhat different.

backhomeagain Feb 19th 2010 2:56 pm

duhhh - big brothers got his big boots on :rofl:

iaink Feb 19th 2010 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert (Post 8357957)
duhhh - big brothers got his big boots on :rofl:

"Big Brother" just wants a quiet life. Take a hint why dont you.

Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult or personal attack.

PaulOK Feb 19th 2010 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 8357924)
Is that Paulo di Canio in your avatar?

Yep, an absolute Hammers legend and the greatest player that I have ever seen play "live".

And before you point it out Jingsamichty, it's a football thing.....I think his politics suck! :)

macadian Feb 19th 2010 2:59 pm

Failures are usually the most conceited of men: - D.H. Lawrence.

backhomeagain Feb 19th 2010 3:00 pm

actually Paul - you are quite wrong.
Had I got an extended work permit and/or our PRs - I would still question the procedure as to why it takes anything between 2 and 4 years to acquire such.:confused:

mocol Feb 19th 2010 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa (Post 8355583)
In the four weeks we were there, we never saw litter, or vandalism or met a doped-up junky. Nothing but happy, welcoming people.

That was the impression we always left with when we were on holiday. In reality it is not quite like that. There is litter, vandalism and doped up junkies it just depends where you look. It seems like people here have been trained to be welcoming but it doesn't often go far below the surface. They are generally very friendly but not so easy to make friends with.

When we were on holiday we definitely had our rose coloured glasses on.
Having said that we love the place and have no desire to go back to the UK even for a vacation.

Jingsamichty Feb 19th 2010 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by PaulOK (Post 8357963)
Yep, an absolute Hammers legend and the greatest player that I have ever seen play "live".

And before you point it out Jingsamichty, it's a football thing.....I think his politics suck! :)

I agree. I think he was one of the greatest players ever, right up there with the very best in the world. A pure joy to watch.

Complete bonkers Nazi though!

iaink Feb 19th 2010 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert (Post 8357976)
Had I got an extended work permit and/or our PRs - I would still question the procedure as to why it takes anything between 2 and 4 years to acquire such.:confused:

It doesnt any more. Under the new system thats in place new PR applicants tend to be here in less than a year now. Of course, that's little consolation to those trapped in the nightmare of the old system...

mocol Feb 19th 2010 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert (Post 8355689)
I just received an email from somebody on here - am I mis-reading it or is there an element of truth by what is written?

"White Canadian’s are very false. They must learn the art of backstabbing in hockey at an early age, or something. They'll be 'nice' to your face while spreading lies about you to your co workers or even your boss. Don't ever talk about something controversial with them either, like politics. Basically they're mild mannered, passive-aggressive twits that are best dealt with aggressively. Don't ever think they're your friends. The only friend a Wasp Canadian has is a dog or cat. People to them are lower than rats.
Just suck what you can out of them before they're able to suck what they want out of you....because, make no mistake. You are only as good as what you can do for them, and only as long as you are able to do it. You're just a number to them.
What do you expect from a people where no one talks to one another in the streets, people dress shabbily, they live to work and not work to live and for whom the highest aspiration is to watch hockey with a beer in one hand and channel changer in the other.

Wait till China and India take over your economy
By the way, if you are educated you should know China & India are bigger economies in term of GDP than Canada. Play hockey, drink beer you uneducated jerks.

Mmmmm - food for thought for the foreign worker

Sadly I think hidden in this message there is an element of truth.

el_richo Feb 19th 2010 3:09 pm

As a final comment regarding Canada, I think it sucks, big time Those who got the permanent residence - fair play. But I bet you had to virtually tell them the colour of your undies to get that PR. And what right does a government have to know how much money you have? What, cant the eggheads come up with another idea? Or is it so acceptable to people now that telling the government they have x amount of dollars in the bank so they can find ways of taking it away from them? Talk about legal robbery, Canada seems to have got that down to a fine art.
A country steeped in crap like it is - you can shove it. I'm outta here very soon and my only regret is coming here. Wish me good riddance all you want, it just reinforces what I believe about Canada - keep your Vietnamese, your Asians, your Chinese because very soon you Canadians will be the minority and very soon fluttering in the breeze high above parliament wont be your beloved the Maple Leaf.

You're Michael Carroll and i claim my £1.76 :thumbsup:

backhomeagain Feb 19th 2010 3:11 pm

Mocol
For the first six months of living in calgary, you get the impression that everythings sweet, people are friendly - decent food and a transport system that beats all the UK has to offer. Then as time goes on you begin to realise the rose tinted glasses you previously took off, should of stayed on.:unsure:

el_richo Feb 19th 2010 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert (Post 8358020)
...decent food and a transport system that beats all the UK has to offer.

I thought you were talking about Canada :confused:

mocol Feb 19th 2010 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert (Post 8358020)
Mocol
For the first six months of living in calgary, you get the impression that everythings sweet, people are friendly - decent food and a transport system that beats all the UK has to offer. Then as time goes on you begin to realise the rose tinted glasses you previously took off, should of stayed on.:unsure:

The rose coloured glasses are long gone and we now see the county for what it is, warts and all - it sure isn't perfect but we wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

PaulOK Feb 19th 2010 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert (Post 8357976)

Honestly, Squiddgelalert, you seem to be such a bitter and angry person. It's honestly not a good way to live. Sure, there are sh*ts in every race, creed and religion but your enormous generalisations about people really don't reflect well upon you.

You may feel comfortable in your own bigotry but take it from somebody who's been there and done that (I won't go into details), you'll feel a lot better once you ditch it.