British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Why move to Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/why-move-canada-655540/)

blue mondays girl Feb 20th 2010 5:44 pm

Re: Why move to Canada?

Originally Posted by blue monday (Post 8355815)
Awesome, thats what im talking about, a 'proper' circuit :) As you say I should have done better research.

Ill have to perused the wife to be to move to BC though as I imaging it's a long drive there Lol. Then again its a quick flight on westjet for a weekend trip to the races. :D

That now means I can't think of one negative about Canada, ah except the holiday entitlement but I can live with that in all honesty.:thumbsup:

We're not moving, babe. We can fly all you want, though.

mocol Feb 20th 2010 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 8360091)
What tales? It's looking up, work wise, from what I see in may areas.

Friends and family who we speak with have a different view - depends on the area I suppose.

mocol Feb 20th 2010 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 8360106)
Unfortunately i think this person will have a hard time if his view on immigrants (ironic) is anything to go on.

The influx in "non British" folk will keep his blood pressure levels high.

That is why I hope he won't be disappointed. There was a reason why he left the UK in the first place - those reasons are probably still valid but in the time he has been away the country has moved on and it is not the place he left. So if he didn't like it then, he sure as hell won't now.

ExKiwilass Feb 20th 2010 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by EasyRider (Post 8359566)
I understand where they are coming from. I have a question-- does it hold true for the province of Quebec (Montreal, Quebec City)? Who can tell?

I'm almost certain not, I'm in Vancouver and I'm looking to escape this awful, cold, almost Darwinian social culture of narcissism and segregation. Very antisocial existence, there are no interesting real communities worth mentioning or common bond here. Some thrive in all that, but it's just not my cup of tea. Comparing to Europe-- life's totally antisocial here. I think the OP who has sent this is from Western Canada, likely Vancouver.

I'm honestly tired of wasps and protestants with their live-to-work corporate-brainwashed culture with cities that leave impression of large labor camps after you actually try to "live" there for a while with some cheap entertainment thrown for color.

I just wanted to confirm-- is Quebec culture so different from the rest of Canada? I'm looking for a place in Canada where people are actually lively and laid back (not lazy or dumb like so many in Vancouver), can have genuine fun and can let go (not these stiff anglo-saxon parties with pretend fun) and people talk to each other on the streets. I've heard Montreal is much like Barcelona which would be great. Why would I stay in Vancouver then?

As for Vancouver I can't wait to leave, the place is seriously messed up socially and politically. People are backward and aren't able to work together and cooperate efficiently which has come to limelight during this Olympics-- scandal after scandal, poor planning, organization and implementation. Everybody just seems to want to escape any responsibility "I'm done-- F.U. attitude" and walk over the others heads at any cost. Very backward society-- back to the caves, I'd say. I like this post I found and resonate with it pretty well:

Did you resonate with this?

"You do not meet people who form their opinions based upon facts."

um....

ExKiwilass Feb 20th 2010 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 8359545)
I certainly didn't mean to be offensive, sorry you took it that way. I was merely trotting out the same old baseless, nonsensical and overly generalized drivel that masquerades as factual reason in this thread. I thought it must all have been a joke, as no one could take these positions as anything other than that.

:rofl: :thumbup:

ExKiwilass Feb 20th 2010 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by EasyRider (Post 8359754)
Go F yourself, buddy. I need reply from those who can relate. Others don't need to reply.

that's a bit narcissistic of you.

dboy Feb 20th 2010 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 8360941)
that's a bit narcissistic of you.

:thumbup:

There are some elements of truth in what he says, but the manner in which he descends into hyperbole, sterotyping and mass generalizations provoked my reaction. Not to mention referring to everyone from Vancouver as being lazy and dumb.

Bali2010 Feb 20th 2010 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by blue monday (Post 8359453)
Have to be honest that is one thing about the US is Americans are proud to be American, waiving the flag, swearing allegiance every morning at school etc, but over in the UK we can't be seen to waive the flag as it can been seen as offensive to ethnic minorities etc etc and practically no one can sing the national anthem! Thats prob a big reason why so many of us can't wait to leave the place, no pride in being British anymore.

that must be a different uk to the one I'm living in:lol:

YORKSHIRE LAD Feb 20th 2010 11:48 pm

New member - just thought I'd throw my two penneth in...

We moved from the UK to Canada 8 years ago - for a new work challenge and a different way of life. Spent 44 years living in the UK and would never knock it. Sure, you can find idiots in the UK, but you can find them in Toronto, Botswana or any where you choose.

Canada offers great people from all cultures, lots of space and a laid back lifestyle....the 'cottage' is the life of most rural based Canadians. I've worked for Global Corps, and for small Canadian family business...lovely workmates and a real team culture.

I guess it depends if you look at the glass - half empty or half full.

Mine's half full...most days :cool:

lmartin999 Feb 20th 2010 11:55 pm

Lots of people in Toronto seem to go cottaging from what I hear. Nice to hear they enjoy their weekends so much :)

Dave+Jules Feb 21st 2010 12:20 am

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 8355707)
Yes, all white Canadians are like that, and we're all very worried about China and India having bigger economies.

Who'd have thunked that could ever have happened, given the population discrepancies? :blink:

It's a terribly depressing and insular place.

SWOOOOOSH Sweeping statements.... All are like that? Total bollocks, just like any population some are like that and some are criminal.

In my limited 5 year experience they tend to be private and keep to themselves. Yes they smile in your face and then don't invite you back or return your openess, but hardly back stabbing, true in general they are passive and some are passive aggressive. But I saw some pretty passive aggressive bosses in the UK. In general I behave here with the same ethics as in the UK, do what you say you will do, maintain your integrity, work hard, contribute to the team, earn their respect and ensure that the praise is delivered publicly to the people who earned it and your team will back you to the hilt.

Most people everywhere in the world want to live a peaceful law abiding life pursuing happiness for their families. There is little truth to big stereo type views of nations

Dave+Jules Feb 21st 2010 12:22 am

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8359870)
i didn't understand a word of that.

Me neither :confused:

Dave+Jules Feb 21st 2010 12:27 am

Originally Posted by EasyRider (Post 8359754)
Go F yourself, buddy. I need reply from those who can relate. Others don't need to reply.

Never been to Vcouver, but I like living in NB. It can be tough in otherways here, but there is definitely a sense of work and life. If I worked until 6:30 as is my WASP ethic, I am pretty much the last person in the city still working :D especially if it is Friday!

R I C H Feb 21st 2010 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules (Post 8361384)
SWOOOOOSH Sweeping statements.... All are like that? Total bollocks, just like any population some are like that and some are criminal.

I guess you missed the intended sarcasm.

Oink Feb 21st 2010 4:49 am

Originally Posted by lmartin999 (Post 8361350)
Lots of people in Toronto seem to go cottaging from what I hear. Nice to hear they enjoy their weekends so much :)

Pervs.

Dave+Jules Feb 21st 2010 11:31 am

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 8361711)
I guess you missed the intended sarcasm.

I did wonder, and my sarcasm detection radar has been malfunctioning recently.... I'm working too hard

blue monday Feb 21st 2010 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bali2010 (Post 8361218)

Well lets see, there was the recent issue of Met Police officers who were told they couldn't where the Union jack on their uniform, then there was an issue a few years back with Worksop town hall banning the Union Jack being flown at the town hall through fear of offending people. Arsenal FC banned the flying of National Flags in its stadium, There are other examples too.

Thankfully The Met and Worksop council saw sense and did a u turn.

el_richo Feb 21st 2010 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by blue monday (Post 8362396)
Well lets see, there was the recent issue of Met Police officers who were told they couldn't where the Union jack on their uniform, then there was an issue a few years back with Worksop town hall banning the Union Jack being flown at the town hall through fear of offending people. Arsenal FC banned the flying of National Flags in its stadium, There are other examples too.

So the only people in the country that you know of who will not display the flag are Arsenal FC?

Thats prob a big reason why so many of us can't wait to leave the place, no pride in being British anymore.

Do you honestly believe that? You're inability to be a proud Britain leads you to move to a "foreign" country? And by that, you hope to achieve what?

Just curious is all.

blue monday Feb 21st 2010 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 8362424)
So the only people in the country that you know of who will not display the flag are Arsenal FC?

Do you honestly believe that? You're inability to be a proud Britain leads you to move to a "foreign" country? And by that, you hope to achieve what?

Just curious is all.

Don't think I ever said I was not proud to be British. I was meerly pointing out aspects of the cultural decline of the UK, that is but one type of example, the entire thread contains many examples of the decline in the UK society. I haven't got the time or inclantion to list all the examples in regard to not flying the flag

re what I hope to achieve well I plan on educating the 33 Million Canadians who are not UK expats how to speak the queens English as she is the head of state yet:p.

Its Football not Soccer, Its a Pavement not a Sidewalk, Its a Boot not a Trunk, Its a Bonnet not a Hood, its a Central reservation not a median, its a Body Warmer not a Vest. Oh and Fanny is not your bottom :o (I still can't work out how that got lost in translation across the Atlantic).

lmartin999 Feb 21st 2010 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by blue monday (Post 8362485)
I was meerly pointing out aspects of the cultural decline of the UK,

I'd be curious to know what you think these are as I didn't see any in your previous posts.

Dave+Jules Feb 21st 2010 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by blue monday (Post 8362485)
Don't think I ever said I was not proud to be British. I was meerly pointing out aspects of the cultural decline of the UK, that is but one type of example, the entire thread contains many examples of the decline in the UK society. I haven't got the time or inclantion to list all the examples in regard to not flying the flag

re what I hope to achieve well I plan on educating the 33 Million Canadians who are not UK expats how to speak the queens English as she is the head of state yet:p.

Its Football not Soccer, Its a Pavement not a Sidewalk, Its a Boot not a Trunk, Its a Bonnet not a Hood, its a Central reservation not a median, its a Body Warmer not a Vest. Oh and Fanny is not your bottom :o (I still can't work out how that got lost in translation across the Atlantic).

Good luck with the education piece, although my project team now use words such as: "Stroppy", "Flipping", "Mardy" and a few others that regularly leave my Nottingham educated lips.:D

PS On the education piece try subtle explanations when a 50 year old church going woman who doesnt drink alcohol, when she asks you what a Wanker is (she heard it on Coronation Street).

hampshire Feb 21st 2010 4:05 pm

My take on this is that the UK are too scared to say no. Instead we have to keep all the minorities happy at the expense of the majority. I have just read the following article:
http://news.aol.co.uk/harman-plays-down-school-skirt-ban/article/20100221083541686882880?icid=main|uk|dl1|link4|htt p%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.co.uk%2Fharman-plays-down-school-skirt-ban%2Farticle%2F20100221083541686882880
This is from the deputy leader of our Government and shows you how the UK and Europe have completely lost the plot! We have ridiculous health and safety laws which takes away the fact that accidents happen and always have. We have to watch what we say and do so as not to offend everyone. My issue isn't just with the UK- the downturn and demise has really been since our Government handed power and lawmaking to Brussels without us even having a referendum. Everything here is done underhand. I am under no illusion that Canada have the same issues but my understanding (and I do welcome your comments as a potential immigrant!) is that there is not so much madness. The police have their hands tied. I live in a small village and a friend's daughter was beaten up quite badly. The thugs said they didn't do it and the victim said they did (her face was black and blue so I don't think she would have done this to herself!) and the police had to let them off as there was a 'conflicting' story!!! Of course there would be- they won't admit it!!! You can't shop to the police safely without fear of recrimination and the conflicting evidence issue pops up again. Gosh- I could go on forever. The long and short of this is that I don't want my daughter growing up in this environment and I don't see things changing for the better.

JonboyE Feb 21st 2010 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bali2010 (Post 8361218)

John Wyndham wrote a short story based on the idea that the Universe was continuously dividing. The hero of the story had found a way to travel between the various universes. In one the point of divergence was only an hour ago so it was virtually the same, in another the divergence must have been several years ago because the woman who was his wide in the "real" world was married to his best friend. In yet another he had left school without any qualifications so he had a completely different job and consequently a completely different life.

I can't help but think this must be true reading these threads - both about Canada and the UK. The experience of Vancouver that some people describe is so completely different from mine that I can't help feeling they must be in a different Universe that diverged many years ago.

JonboyE Feb 21st 2010 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by hampshire (Post 8362677)
My take on this is that the UK are too scared to say no. Instead we have to keep all the minorities happy at the expense of the majority.

Protecting the minority from the tyranny of the majority is almost the definition of a civilized society. Canada is no different.

Bali2010 Feb 21st 2010 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 8362718)
John Wyndham wrote a short story based on the idea that the Universe was continuously dividing. The hero of the story had found a way to travel between the various universes. In one the point of divergence was only an hour ago so it was virtually the same, in another the divergence must have been several years ago because the woman who was his wide in the "real" world was married to his best friend. In yet another he had left school without any qualifications so he had a completely different job and consequently a completely different life.

I can't help but think this must be true reading these threads - both about Canada and the UK. The experience of Vancouver that some people describe is so completely different from mine that I can't help feeling they must be in a different Universe that diverged many years ago.

Me too
:thumbup:

I also get reminded of an old advert about perspectives - will go hunt it down

Edit : link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMKScopMnKI

dboy Feb 21st 2010 5:01 pm

I was home for a visit a few years ago, and my elderly mother and I went out for a bite to eat in a pub on a Sunday afternoon in Stalybridge. I was wearing a blue polo shirt that had a very simple St George's cross over the heart barey 4 inches. I was denied entry because, according to the oaf who was the door, said That's footie gear - even though I pointed out that it was the English flag and I was a copper and my mum and I would be on out best behviour, he told me to f**k off and said I should know better being a copper. My mum hit him with her brolly.

R I C H Feb 21st 2010 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8362773)
I was home for a visit a few years ago, and my elderly mother and I went out for a bite to eat in a pub on a Sunday afternoon in Stalybridge. I was wearing a blue polo shirt that had a very simple St George's cross over the heart barey 4 inches. I was denied entry because, according to the oaf who was the door, said That's footie gear - even though I pointed out that it was the English flag and I was a copper and my mum and I would be on out best behviour, he told me to f**k off and said I should know better being a copper. My mum hit him with her brolly.

If you take your elderly Mum to an establishment for lunch that requires an oaf on the door, you deserve all the hassle that entails ;)

Auld Yin Feb 21st 2010 5:08 pm

re what I hope to achieve well I plan on educating the 33 Million Canadians who are not UK expats how to speak the queens English as she is the head of state yet

Perhaps you should look to your own house first before attempting to educate Canadians. Have you heard how the various areas of the UK bastardize the Q(note the capital)een'(note the apostrophe)s English?

dboy Feb 21st 2010 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 8362779)
If you take your elderly Mum to an establishment for lunch that requires an oaf on the door, you deserve all the hassle that entails ;)

I forget the name of the place, it was actually one of the better places. Stralybridge can get quite rowdy so all the pubs in the centre have door men on the weekends, even in the later afternoon.

I'm a copper and an ex-Manchester lad at that, I know where to go and not go thank-you very much.

R I C H Feb 21st 2010 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8362789)
I forget the name of the place, it was actually one of the better places. Stralybridge can get quite rowdy so all the pubs in the centre have door men on the weekends, even in the later afternoon.

I'm a copper and an ex-Manchester lad at that, I know where to go and not go thank-you very much.

No need to be sensitive, I was just pulling your leg.

I've never come across anywhere that's needed an oaf on the door, except nightclubs - it's a poor reflection on society that some communities need that sort of protection on a Sunday afternoon, or anytime really.

Jingsamichty Feb 21st 2010 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 8362787)
Perhaps you should look to your own house first before attempting to educate Canadians. Have you heard how the various areas of the UK bastardize the Q(note the capital)een'(note the apostrophe)s English?

Wot's up wiv "u"?

If you're going to play Teacher, get it right!

Auld Yin Feb 21st 2010 5:49 pm

I am always willing/eager to learn. Please enlighten me?

Novocastrian Feb 21st 2010 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 8362860)

Yo merely missed ot a letter Ald Yin.

I tut in the face of such wanton pedantry.

Jingsamichty Feb 21st 2010 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 8362860)

In your haste to insert an apostrophe into the word "Queen's", you mislaid the "u".

Auld Yin Feb 21st 2010 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 8362981)
In your haste to insert an apostrophe into the word "Queen's", you mislaid the "u".

There's a u after the Q? As I said I'm always willing to learn, so thank you both in my qest for knowledge..

Jingsamichty Feb 21st 2010 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 8362995)
There's a u after the Q? As I said I'm always willing to learn, so thank you both in my qest for knowledge..

As this pedant said, "I'll qit while I'm ahead."

Oink Feb 21st 2010 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8362773)

Hope she didn't get done for grievous brolliely harm.

I'll get my coat. :(

Novocastrian Feb 21st 2010 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 8362995)

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 8363019)
As this pedant said, "I'll qit while I'm ahead."

Have you two ever visited Iqaluit? I think you'd fit right in.

Jingsamichty Feb 21st 2010 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 8363052)
Have you two ever visited Iqaluit? I think you'd fit right in.

What about u?

Would be good to have a Resident Boffin at the Iqaluit Arms Qiz Night.

Novocastrian Feb 21st 2010 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 8363072)
What about u?

Would be good to have a Resident Boffin at the Iqaluit Arms Qiz Night.

But Iqaluit's not on Boffin Island you know.