British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Why move to Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/why-move-canada-655540/)

katybennett1984 Feb 23rd 2010 3:09 pm

Re: Why move to Canada?

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8368036)
I imagine so but, in Britain, one can just wander down to a shop and buy free range eggs. Why trouble to keep a chicken?

I agree..which brings me to my original point as to why the OP said eggs were a reason to move to Canada, since I found it really hard to buy decent, free-range eggs there.

dbd33 Feb 23rd 2010 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by katybennett1984 (Post 8368039)
I agree..which brings me to my original point as to why the OP said eggs were a reason to move to Canada, since I found it really hard to buy decent, free-range eggs there.

In Ontario it's not lawful to sell free range eggs. They are available, as is raw milk and marijuana, but one needs a connection. I would discourage anyone from moving to Ontario for the eggs.

JonboyE Feb 23rd 2010 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Les Butler (Post 8367736)
French Canadian(Ok Québecoise) wife who did not like Waddon Croydon !

A few of us (Brits) sitting around a table in a bar here in Montreal asked the same question after we just played a round of golf on a nice hot summer day and we came to the conclusion that it's like being on holiday.

We are all in our 50's play golf still try to play football and just do things activity wise that my family and mates back home just do not do unless it revolves round the pub

I am unskilled have a small biz (have a job going if anyone wants one ;)) and it just seems easier here.

Hi Les.

EAGLES!

Oink Feb 23rd 2010 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Les Butler (Post 8367736)
French Canadian(Ok Québecoise) wife who did not like Waddon Croydon !

A few of us (Brits) sitting around a table in a bar here in Montreal asked the same question after we just played a round of golf on a nice hot summer day and we came to the conclusion that it's like being on holiday.

We are all in our 50's play golf still try to play football and just do things activity wise that my family and mates back home just do not do unless it revolves round the pub

I am unskilled have a small biz (have a job going if anyone wants one ;)) and it just seems easier here.

Me and a couple of mates were on the 18th hole and one of us said how much we liked living Canada. How different it is to the lazy bastards back in the UK who won't do anything unless it involves a round of golf.

Pammy Feb 23rd 2010 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by katybennett1984 (Post 8368039)

Maybe the ones I bought in Scotland(M & S and the butchers)were just crap then, I buy free range here from Superstore and they are the bollocks!

The ones from Safeway are crap though.

dbd33 Feb 23rd 2010 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pammy (Post 8368113)
I buy free range here from Superstore

I bet you don't. "Free Run", perhaps.

Pammy Feb 23rd 2010 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8368116)
I bet you don't. "Free Run", perhaps.

Shit, never noticed that before!

But they are Organic Free Run

What the heck is the difference between run and range:confused:

Souvy Feb 23rd 2010 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Pammy (Post 8368161)

At a guess; a door.

Pammy Feb 23rd 2010 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 8368168)
At a guess; a door.

Looked it up, apparently most chickens in Canada are free run as its too cold for them to go outside and the coyotes eat them so free run means they can run around a big barn and lay where they want.

dbd33 Feb 23rd 2010 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pammy (Post 8368161)

Firstly, an egg can't be both free range and organic, if the chicken is free range it can eat anything it comes across, there's no control over the feed so it can't be guaranteed organic. Unfenced chickens, such as mine, roam over a wide area pecking at everything; fertilized crops, manure from horses fed non-organic-certified feed, dog food, all sorts. The eggs are free range but the content is anyone's guess.

"Free run" is a marketing term invented to confuse consumers. It means factory farmed with some nominal concessions to humane treatment. The chickens can turn around. They can't peck because, even if they haven't been de-beaked, they're raised on concrete. My concern with these eggs isn't so much the treatment of the animals, I'm not an ethical consumer, but the age of the eggs. I know they're sprayed but still, an egg in a supermarket is likely older than a chicken in the supermarket, that's whythe yokes don't stand up.

Since keeping laying hens I can't eat supermarket eggs, they're just not very good. Since keeping meat birds I'm iffy on eating supermarket chickens but that's another story.

dbd33 Feb 23rd 2010 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Pammy (Post 8368196)
Looked it up, apparently most chickens in Canada are free run as its too cold for them to go outside and the coyotes eat them so free run means they can run around a big barn and lay where they want.

Oh yeah, and unwanted dogs go to the country and live on farms.

iaink Feb 23rd 2010 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pammy (Post 8368196)

You might want to check out the population densities in those barns:sneaky: We are not talking "charlotee's web" bucolic niceness:eek:

Pammy Feb 23rd 2010 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 8368210)
You might want to check out the population densities in those barns:sneaky: We are not talking "charlotee's web" bucolic niceness:eek:

Well the way I look at it is if it tastes good eat it, even vegetables are crammed into little rows:rofl:

el_richo Feb 23rd 2010 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pammy (Post 8368221)
...even vegetables are crammed into little rows:rofl:

Surely that's not very humane? Or does the old adage ring true: Out of mind, out of sight?

iaink Feb 23rd 2010 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 8368332)
Surely that's not very humane?

Very romaine though:lol:

I'll fetch my hat:o:rolleyes:

Atlantic Xpat Feb 23rd 2010 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8368198)
I'm iffy on eating supermarket chickens but that's another story.

An uninteresting and slightly digusting fact: Newfoundland is home to Atlantic Canada/Canada's/Some part of North America's largest factory chicken farm, the delightfully named 'Country Ribbon' broiler farm just outside St. John's. The chicken, processed here, tastes of very little. Through a local butcher-cum-greengrocer-cum-fishmonger we recently bought a few genuine free range birds. The difference in taste was amazing. Apparently that Jamie Oliver fella is right, free range is the way to go.

Pammy Feb 23rd 2010 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 8368406)
An uninteresting and slightly digusting fact: Newfoundland is home to Atlantic Canada/Canada's/Some part of North America's largest factory chicken farm, the delightfully named 'Country Ribbon' broiler farm just outside St. John's. The chicken, processed here, tastes of very little. Through a local butcher-cum-greengrocer-cum-fishmonger we recently bought a few genuine free range birds. The difference in taste was amazing. Apparently that Jamie Oliver fella is right, free range is the way to go.

I agree, it costs more and does have a different smell but the texture and taste is much better.

dbd33 Feb 23rd 2010 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 8368406)

"Free range" in the context of purpose bred meat birds is a bit meaningless. After a couple of weeks they're too fat to move so whether or not they nominally have access to the outdoors is a moot point. If the birds are dual purpose ones then they can run around but, without injection, they're not recognizably the same creatures as supermarket chickens. The ones I slaughtered tasted good but I could eat two of them for lunch.

ExKiwilass Feb 23rd 2010 5:21 pm

forgot what i was going to say

ExKiwilass Feb 23rd 2010 5:22 pm

oh yeah, remembered.

I like halal chicken from the local halal-y place. It's fresher.

Hope that helps!

dbd33 Feb 23rd 2010 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 8368458)
forgot what i was going to say

Perhaps that whatever Canada lacks in egg quality is balanced by the innovative milk packaging?

ExKiwilass Feb 23rd 2010 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8368465)
Perhaps that whatever Canada lacks in egg quality is balanced by the innovative milk packaging?

:thumbup:

ExKiwilass Feb 23rd 2010 5:29 pm

I like Kelly's acres free range eggs. You get them at shops. And there's another one but can't remember the name, local farm.

President's choice free range eggs taste like a chicken holocaust. I think they're lying, I think they live in bachelor suites in downtown Vancouver

ExKiwilass Feb 23rd 2010 6:16 pm

yessss. killed the thread!!!! :thumbup:

ireland2canada Feb 23rd 2010 6:25 pm

Why move to Canada?

Not only is there milk-in-a-bag, if you are very lucky and network with people in high places, it is possible to go to the actual milk-in-a-bag factory and watch the milk going into the bag. Not just ordinary milk, oh no, chocolate milk too. It's like Willy Wonka, but with milk.

A highlight in my Canadian adventure and one that I recommend to anyone. In fact, it should be mandatory.

Oink Feb 23rd 2010 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by ireland2canada (Post 8368619)
Why move to Canada?

Not only is there milk-in-a-bag, if you are very lucky and network with people in high places, it is possible to go to the actual milk-in-a-bag factory and watch the milk going into the bag. Not just ordinary milk, oh no, chocolate milk too. It's like Willy Wonka, but with milk.

A highlight in my Canadian adventure and one that I recommend to anyone. In fact, it should be mandatory.

The long winter must just fly by. ;)

Atlantic Xpat Feb 23rd 2010 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8368424)
"Free range" in the context of purpose bred meat birds is a bit meaningless. After a couple of weeks they're too fat to move so whether or not they nominally have access to the outdoors is a moot point. If the birds are dual purpose ones then they can run around but, without injection, they're not recognizably the same creatures as supermarket chickens. The ones I slaughtered tasted good but I could eat two of them for lunch.

Well ok then if you are going to be pedantic: 'Independently reared non-factory farmed birds'. They were pretty large. And tasty.

dbd33 Feb 23rd 2010 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 8368660)
Well ok then if you are going to be pedantic: 'Independently reared non-factory farmed birds'. They were pretty large. And tasty.

Fair enough. I'd eat one.

dbd33 Feb 23rd 2010 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by ireland2canada (Post 8368619)
Why move to Canada?

Having been thrilled by the milk-in-a-bag bagging I must make a point of watching Willy Wonka.

Atlantic Xpat Feb 23rd 2010 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8368665)
Fair enough. I'd eat one.

Bought through an interesting store. Purveyor of aforesaid nearly free-range chickens. Fresh cod. Farmed Salmon. Locally grown veggies. Seal flippers. Seal flipper pie. Cod cheeks & tongues. Salt beef. Essentially all of your Newfoundland staples.

ireland2canada Feb 23rd 2010 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 8368651)
The long winter must just fly by. ;)

Clearly you have not been. I recommend a good dose of bagging.

Novocastrian Feb 24th 2010 12:45 am

Originally Posted by ireland2canada (Post 8368709)
Clearly you have not been. I recommend a good dose of bagging.

But have we finished with the egg posts already? It was just getting interesting.

Oh yes.

dbd33 Feb 24th 2010 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 8369591)
But have we finished with the egg posts already? It was just getting interesting.

Oh yes.

Be glad she didn't start on tangerines.

Novocastrian Feb 24th 2010 1:37 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8369673)

<struggles desperately to find what to google on, concludes it's hopeless>.

ireland2canada Feb 24th 2010 1:44 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8369673)

I think we should be universally grateful for a lack of tangerines. A tangerine free zone, if you will.

dbd33 Feb 24th 2010 1:45 am

Originally Posted by ireland2canada (Post 8369703)
I think we should be universally grateful for a lack of tangerines. A tangerine free zone, if you will.

<breathes easily>

gingnut Feb 24th 2010 6:35 am

Originally Posted by eduardj72 (Post 8355422)
Hi everyone. I ve been trying to find an answer from the posts on this forum but so far failed. This is the reason I am posting a direct question. Why do people immigrate to Canada? I am from the former soviet union republic and I understand why people what to leave those countries, but I am somewhat bewildered when people from the UK-a quite well off country with stable economy decide to immigrate to Canada or Australia. Can somebody give me a few ideas why?

Well I will answer the question on behalf of my husband. When we met about 8 1/2 years ago my husband had literally nothing. No parents or career to speak of. He was living in an area of west London where about 2 out of 3 girls under the age of 20 had a baby and still wore scrunchies in the new millennium. The boys wore track suits and burnt out cars for fun. Yet even in this area property was sky high, so he had to live in dirty bedsits. His early attempt to emigrate to Australia had failed. Early in his adulthood he made the bad choice to go in a dying trade so he had no marketable trade. He spent his twenties plodding around europe having a good time but building no foundation for the future.
Anyway I met him in his early thirties and with my own visa about to run out we decided to get married . We agreed, well I demanded that we would live in the UK. Then I made a crucial mistake, one that will haunt me for the rest of my life. I showed him the listings for Regina,SK on mls. This was in 2002 when nice 3 bed bungalows were going for under 100k and London property prices were reaching new highs daily. We got married and I went home to Canada. I left the man and the country I had learned to love so dearly behind. While he should of been pursuing my dream of setting up home in the UK instead he plotted to move to Regina. He came to visit me in Canada, that december was the weather was not as bitter as usual so my tales of cold that could not be envisioned by sane humans seemed a tall tale, oh he would learn. Anyway during this trip an immigration lawyer had suggested that he come to canada as a visiter and stay until he could get his PR with me sponsoring him. We did and after 18 months where he sat at my parents house and watched TV, did puzzles, got kinda fat, he finally received his PR. Shortly afterward we bough or first house. We struggled at first as he had trouble good permanent employment because many immigrants find that they will start from square one work wise. We had kids, bought a car and furniture, took holidays. He seems to envision life the canadian way now. Dreams of buying a boat to take on the lake and a truck to tow it. He sees his future here, and in his defence he seems to have a brighter future here. Maybe one day I will persuade him to consider the old world again. However at this time it is too much of a gamble for my family. There are many here that will tell you that Canada has little if nothing to offer. Check the MBTTUK forum and there are plenty that are plotting or celebrating their return from here. However for many this place has offered them a new beginning.

gilsland Feb 24th 2010 8:33 am

It was sad reading the letter from Dave n Ailsa,Scotland is a
beautiful country,and I agree we all seem to be intimidated
by young people and have encountered spite and jealousy from people,even close relatives.However I lived in B.C. for almost 30 years
until I retired and returned back to the UK.I lived mainly in the Greater
Vancouver area, and saw what were good areas turn into drug and
crime ridden areas full of graffiti.And for some years we have had gangland
warfare with drive by shootings,all drug related.I am certainly not a racist
but from the 90's there has been a large surge of Chinese which have
changed the racial balance of large areas of Vancouver.Vancouver is
not the city I came to in 1974.However I did enjoy Vancouver Island , and considered moving there.
The scenery in the rest of B.C. is spectacular and I'm sure if you can avoid the cities you could have good life there.

thepeacock Feb 24th 2010 9:37 am

It's because of the masses of immigrants flooding into the UK under E.U. law and they are now entitled to every benefit under the sun without contributing a penny to the system that has pushed the average man to absolute breaking point in the UK. Taxes , cost of living is climbing at an alarming rate and yet we have thousands of immigrants passing through Holland/France/Belgium, to get to "Benefit UK" We are a joke. :frown:

Only in UK can Polish women be allowed to claim friggin child benefit whilst never paying a penny in tax and going back to live in Poland. They miust be laughing at us? WHERE DO YOU THINK THEY GET THIS MONEY FROM? (hint...TAX)

I know people who have told me they would be as better off finacially if they didn't work. After all the expenses, taxes, etc it's hardly worth it. W.T.F. are the politicians doing here? I am getting out one day..where and when? But screw this..i am not working to pay for immigrants to milk the system dry and get more than "Average joe" We won W.W.2. to allow this calamity.

al lthe immigrants say "UK is a GREAT country....." no f** wonder. where else can they get so mucch for doing nothing? Where did you say you was from again.........?

Hi everyone. I ve been trying to find an answer from the posts on this forum but so far failed. This is the reason I am posting a direct question. Why do people immigrate to Canada? I am from the former soviet union republic and I understand why people what to leave those countries, but I am somewhat bewildered when people from the UK-a quite well off country with stable economy decide to immigrate to Canada or Australia. Can somebody give me a few ideas why?

thepeacock Feb 24th 2010 9:45 am

do not get me started on the PC Brigade.....what a bad joke this is turning into.

Can't get a "blak coffee" anymore. PC : With or without. :thumbup:
Christmas lights: PC "Winter festival lights"
Children can't sing "Bah,bah black Sheep in nursery..."

And I am paying taxes to these idiots? Some poor souls are fighting wars in Afghanistn for this...........:confused:

The system is broke.

but over in the UK we can't be seen to waive the flag as it can been seen as offensive to ethnic minorities etc etc and practically no one can sing the national anthem! Thats prob a big reason why so many of us can't wait to leave the place, no pride in being British anymore.