Reload this Page >

Why move to Canada?

Why move to Canada?

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

katybennett1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why move to Canada?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I imagine so but, in Britain, one can just wander down to a shop and buy free range eggs. Why trouble to keep a chicken?
I agree..which brings me to my original point as to why the OP said eggs were a reason to move to Canada, since I found it really hard to buy decent, free-range eggs there.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katybennett1984
I agree..which brings me to my original point as to why the OP said eggs were a reason to move to Canada, since I found it really hard to buy decent, free-range eggs there.
In Ontario it's not lawful to sell free range eggs. They are available, as is raw milk and marijuana, but one needs a connection. I would discourage anyone from moving to Ontario for the eggs.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:24 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Les Butler
French Canadian(Ok Québecoise) wife who did not like Waddon Croydon !

A few of us (Brits) sitting around a table in a bar here in Montreal asked the same question after we just played a round of golf on a nice hot summer day and we came to the conclusion that it's like being on holiday.

We are all in our 50's play golf still try to play football and just do things activity wise that my family and mates back home just do not do unless it revolves round the pub

I am unskilled have a small biz (have a job going if anyone wants one ) and it just seems easier here.
Hi Les.

EAGLES!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:33 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Les Butler
French Canadian(Ok Québecoise) wife who did not like Waddon Croydon !

A few of us (Brits) sitting around a table in a bar here in Montreal asked the same question after we just played a round of golf on a nice hot summer day and we came to the conclusion that it's like being on holiday.

We are all in our 50's play golf still try to play football and just do things activity wise that my family and mates back home just do not do unless it revolves round the pub

I am unskilled have a small biz (have a job going if anyone wants one ) and it just seems easier here.
Me and a couple of mates were on the 18th hole and one of us said how much we liked living Canada. How different it is to the lazy bastards back in the UK who won't do anything unless it involves a round of golf.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by katybennett1984

Maybe the ones I bought in Scotland(M & S and the butchers)were just crap then, I buy free range here from Superstore and they are the bollocks!

The ones from Safeway are crap though.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pammy
I buy free range here from Superstore
I bet you don't. "Free Run", perhaps.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
I bet you don't. "Free Run", perhaps.
Shit, never noticed that before!

But they are Organic Free Run

What the heck is the difference between run and range
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:04 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

At a guess; a door.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvy
At a guess; a door.
Looked it up, apparently most chickens in Canada are free run as its too cold for them to go outside and the coyotes eat them so free run means they can run around a big barn and lay where they want.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Firstly, an egg can't be both free range and organic, if the chicken is free range it can eat anything it comes across, there's no control over the feed so it can't be guaranteed organic. Unfenced chickens, such as mine, roam over a wide area pecking at everything; fertilized crops, manure from horses fed non-organic-certified feed, dog food, all sorts. The eggs are free range but the content is anyone's guess.

"Free run" is a marketing term invented to confuse consumers. It means factory farmed with some nominal concessions to humane treatment. The chickens can turn around. They can't peck because, even if they haven't been de-beaked, they're raised on concrete. My concern with these eggs isn't so much the treatment of the animals, I'm not an ethical consumer, but the age of the eggs. I know they're sprayed but still, an egg in a supermarket is likely older than a chicken in the supermarket, that's whythe yokes don't stand up.

Since keeping laying hens I can't eat supermarket eggs, they're just not very good. Since keeping meat birds I'm iffy on eating supermarket chickens but that's another story.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Looked it up, apparently most chickens in Canada are free run as its too cold for them to go outside and the coyotes eat them so free run means they can run around a big barn and lay where they want.

Oh yeah, and unwanted dogs go to the country and live on farms.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to check out the population densities in those barns We are not talking "charlotee's web" bucolic niceness
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
You might want to check out the population densities in those barns We are not talking "charlotee's web" bucolic niceness
Well the way I look at it is if it tastes good eat it, even vegetables are crammed into little rows
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:46 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

...even vegetables are crammed into little rows
Surely that's not very humane? Or does the old adage ring true: Out of mind, out of sight?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Surely that's not very humane?
Very romaine though

I'll fetch my hat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.